BA server problem? I'm getting SMP WU on my 4P

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: BA server problem? I'm getting SMP WU on my 4P

Post by P5-133XL »

I PM'ed the owner of the server 128.143.231.201 and 128.143.199.97 to have them checked for something amis. The server statistics page says they are good to go, but I get access forbidden when I try.
kasson
Pande Group Member

Post by kasson »

That (access forbidden) is the correct response for these servers. They are functioning normally and currently accepting work units. I would suggest checking your local networking.
texinga

Post by texinga »

Turn off any Firewalls and then see if the WUs will transmit properly. Firewalls can sometimes get in the way with specific applications and it has happened to me before with F@H. If turning off the Firewall does the trick, then you'll need to go in and enable the F@H software to be allowed to transmit (within the Firewall application).
Thomas R

Post by Thomas R »

Since October 2012 my 4p Machine is running now.
It is only running for F@H and was untouched for weeks.
I really don´t know what I should check in my local network settings, or how turn off my Firewall.
I´m a Linux-Dau.
The problems came with the first 8103.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

Server 201 seems to be back up or working as I just downloaded 2x 8101 WU's.
As for sending I don't know since I had regular smp units to send back.
I strated having problems getting new work from 201 server around the time you posted saying you couldn't send.
But seems to be giving out work now.
Thomas R

Post by Thomas R »

I´ve tried to get new WU´s.
Deleted machinedependent.dat, queue.dat, work-folder and a3-Core.
Started the machine new, started F@H and what happens?
Downloading a3-Core and folding a smp-WU.

Now I turned off the machine. I think it is not ok if it runs with smp-WU´s.
Think I´m done with F@H.
Too many problems that I can not handle.
EXT64

Post by EXT64 »

Well, glad to hear more are on the way :)

On the plus side, this little issue has sped up the 85xx projects a good bit I imagine. My fastest "normal" computers do those at about 6-9 minutes TPF, and my 4P does them at 2 min TPF or so - so it has cranked a ton of them out. I was very happy to see it scale up so well. While the PPD of SMP is terrible, it looks like plenty of science is still being done, so I'll live :)
texinga

Post by texinga »

Thomas R wrote:Since October 2012 my 4p Machine is running now.
It is only running for F@H and was untouched for weeks.
I really don´t know what I should check in my local network settings, or how turn off my Firewall.
I´m a Linux-Dau.
The problems came with the first 8103.
I didn't know what OS you were running or what kind of Folding rig you are using. If you are running a 4P under Linux, then my Firewall thought is probably not the reason at the OS level unless you installed one. Whenever I've had the connectivity problems you are seeing with sending WUs back to the server, it has typically been in one of these areas:

- The server was temporarily not available to receive the work in which case I just had to wait and FAH will continue trying to send periodically.
- I had a new network connectivity issue on my end (PC, Firewall, Router, Modem, ISP, etc.).
- A hardware related issue on the PC's LAN port (if you are hardwired via Ethernet) or network card (wired or wireless).
- A network setting in the FAH Client for clients that have user adjustable settings.

Don't give up though, we've all experienced what you are facing with a connectivity issue and eventually work through it.
Thomas R

Post by Thomas R »

If I disable langouste and start F@H again, the User-ID can not be found.
Connection fails over minutes.
When I start langouste again the User-ID can be found, core_a3 comes down and a smp-WU is running.

What should I do?
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

Thomas R wrote:If I disable langouste and start F@H again, the User-ID can not be found.
Connection fails over minutes.
When I start langouste again the User-ID can be found, core_a3 comes down and a smp-WU is running.

What should I do?
When you set up langouste, it acts as a proxy which is configured in the FAH client. If langouste isn't running the client cannot connect via the proxy, so fails.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
Thomas R

Post by Thomas R »

But why come only SMP-WU´s down?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Currently there is a shortage of bigadv work units. When this happens you could receive regular SMP work units. Using Langouste has no affect on this situation. My bigadv client is currently processing a regular SMP work unit too and I don't use Langouste since I'm using v7. After doing one or two my client returns to a bigadv WU.

PG is aware of the problem and is working on getting more bigadv work units for us to process.

This situation has occurred in the past and probably will happen again in the future. Other than a temporary drop in PPD you should experience no problems running regular SMP. As long as you're using -bigadv and your configuration is set to allow big packet size and you're not using the advanced option then you should eventually receive a bigadv work unit.
Thomas R

Post by Thomas R »

As I suspected, the error was not at my side.
Now it is running normal since two days!