Was I wrong?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RocHed11

Was I wrong?

Post by RocHed11 »

Hey all, fold on.

I pretty much did something without giving it much thought. I inserted myself into a team uninvited. Is that bad form? The reasons were -because the name meant something to me (my last name) and one of the members name is the exact name I call myself when I play video games. There were three to start and I was number 4. a couple of months after I joined, 2 of the folders quit. One came back for a couple of days and left. Should I start over with my self? Thanks for your answers.

T
[BrainBug]

Re: Was I wrong?

Post by [BrainBug] »

I dunno, if I owned a team and someone wanted to join and contribute I wouldn't have any issues with it. It could be that team is picky or maybe you're just paranoid ;) . If they have a website or contact information you may wish to ask them.

Heck, I joined my current team because I was too lazy to install Windows and optimize it for folding. Now I'm on a mission to hit the #1 spot :D BWAAA HA HA HA..erm, I digress.

If it bothers you then go ahead and find a more friendly team :) Visit their website if they have one and see what they're about.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Depends if you used a controversial name or not. Some of the teams are a bit anal about who joins them, but the big teams generally dont care (and will probably welcome you regardless).
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

someone just joined my team a little while back i have no idea who it is. dont care, just curious. but in a way, it did defeat my goals. see i made my team from scratch to see what kind of impact i had on the science directly. everyone on there is someone ive recruited or someone theyve recruited. still id like to be able to talk to him somehow just to say hey welcome, howd you find me and whyd you pick me. just a curiosity i suppose
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

spazzychalk wrote:someone just joined my team a little while back i have no idea who it is. dont care, just curious. but in a way, it did defeat my goals.
The only way to find out who it is: Make your team website a real benefit for your team so this person will want to register there.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

My team ethos was much the same as yours spazzy, more of a how far can i go, than who joins. So far its taken me to 2.5mil in points and 6478 workunits. The majority were folded by me.

I still dont have a team website, but then im not recruiting either. :)
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

it wasnt so much how far can---i--- go but how much impact i had, which would include everyone i got to fold and everyone they got to fold.right now 418 since 11/1. were small time.

i dont have a team webiste either, and i havent been able to get access to my team editing at all. apparently i dont know what email address i started the team with. so the ops wont help me and i cant get in myself. i did get an email but apparently i replied with the wrong info obviously it was wrong it was what i was trying to log in with, but never heard back. so no team web site for me. i keep text files i copy/paste email to my people regularly to have them foward. so far no ones recruited anyone but me. but 418 in 2 1/2 months is .... well were ranked pretty high which i dont think says much about me as much as how sad everyone else is that mostly do a couple and never come back probably
swiftyy

Post by swiftyy »

I don't think its bad. Most teams are trying to climb the ladder anyways. I'm sure if a random person joined their teams that is contributing to a good cause they won't be upset about it.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

spazzychalk wrote:someone just joined my team a little while back i have no idea who it is. dont care, just curious. but in a way, it did defeat my goals. see i made my team from scratch to see what kind of impact i had on the science directly. everyone on there is someone ive recruited or someone theyve recruited. still id like to be able to talk to him somehow just to say hey welcome, howd you find me and whyd you pick me. just a curiosity i suppose
If you could post their Folding name here, maybe they can reply here or PM you. It could be that its a typo in their client configuration, and they do not know it yet :wink:
RocHed11

Post by RocHed11 »

Thanks everyone for your answers

T
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

theyve already fallen off finished 5 WU and now no active processors in last week. but the same thing with this guy happened to me personally. i had made a post about it a long time ago that nothing ever came of the post. when i created my team and name, i had my name and user PS3 with zero active processors in last 50 days. they were just still attached to the hardware addresses somehow. now with my mystery team member its happened exactly that way again.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... tterboy007

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... ername=GGI