Unwanted desktop icons

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Icebane

Unwanted desktop icons

Post by Icebane »

If this a topic already discussed, I apologize cause I did a search and couldn't find one

I accidentally shutdown my client this morning. When I brought it back up it asked me to setup my user and team info along with the passkey. I thought it was odd, but did it anyway. Then I noticed that my desktop now has additional icons like FAHControl, work folder, logs folder, etc. The client had also started new WU from scratch and the theme I had set it too seemed to be gone.

Also my icons on my desktop kept changing Everytime I accessed the advanced control client.

I decided to restart my computer. Upon coming back up the client was back to normal, theme was back. The finished WU that hasn't been sent back is still sitting there. But the desktop icons are still there.

My question is there a way to get rid of them. Would moving them to the recycle bin (I'm running windows 10) hurt the client?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Unwanted desktop icons

Post by Joe_H »

Sounds like you started up FAHClient directly instead of using the shortcut that was created at installation time. The shortcut includes the path to where the data files should exist, when you started it up directly new data files were created in the location (Desktop) where you did that.

You should be able to move them all to the Recycle Bin. Just make certain not to include the original shortcut if it ended up on the Desktop.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Icebane

Re: Unwanted desktop icons

Post by Icebane »

Thank you...that's probably what happened but wanted to be sure before I did it