Cash Donations?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

paydirt

Cash Donations?

Post by paydirt »

For folks that either don't have the will or the space for building another folding machine, is there a way for them to sponsor folding machines that the F@H team at Stanford could maintain? Would Vijay (if Stanford could swing the floor space & electricity bill) be interested in such a program?

How is F@H doing financially? Are they in great need for monetary donations? What are some of the key things that F@H uses donations/grants for besides staff? Does the budget or future budget allow for the ability to add additional server/storage equipment to handle more and more teraflops?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Cash Donations?

Post by 7im »

They can always use more donations. Click on the Donate button on the project home page for more info.

I also know that in the last 8 years, the government sponsored grants have all buy dried up. My brother has to write 10 grant proposals just to get 1. 8 years ago, it was 1 in 3. With $10 Million a week going to IRAQ, there isn't much left over for anything else. But I don't speak for the project, just commenting from personal experience.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

We could always use more funds. We're starting to outsource some software development to professional programmers and that's becoming one of the biggest expenses.

If you'd like to donate, please go to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Donate

FAH has enough money that it's not going to be going away, but I think there's *a lot* we can do to improve our client software if we had the funds.
paydirt

Post by paydirt »

Cool, yeah, as far as where the money would go... not sure if it is easy for them to answer, just wondering how their needs are changing and whether or not something has become financially critical for them. Kinda wondering how many petaflops they think their infrastructure can handle until they would need more servers...

EDIT: Vijay posted while I was typing my reply. Cool. Money to programmers/developers is something I could definitely get behind. "Developers! Developers! Developers!"
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

PS If one chooses to donate funds, please note that you should write in the "Additional information" please designate Folding@home's fund code GAHIQ or the fund title "Folding@home Computing Project Gift Fund." Otherwise, the funds go to some generic Stanford fund.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

And don't forget to check with your employer. Many companies will match charitable donations, so if you give $100, your company might give another $100, or $50 or whatever their matching % is. Really helps.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.