Ongoing and repeated emails from folding@home server

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Masska

Ongoing and repeated emails from folding@home server

Post by Masska »

Hello guys,

excuse me if this has been asked/discussed before , but I did a quick search here and couldn't find a thread relating to this....

Yesterday I requested a passkey which I received about 3 hours later - however the issue I'm having now is that I keep on receiving the same email from noreplyatfoldingathomedotorg server with my original passkey but all the new/ongoing emails are blank (no content).... These emails arrive every couple of hours.

Thanks
JamieF

Re: Ongoing and repeated emails from folding@home server

Post by JamieF »

same
bruce

Post by bruce »

You can request a passkey with the same (or different) name/email/etc. If you use the same information, you'll get the same passkey.

Some emails don't get properly distributed. This can be because of overly aggressive anti-spam measures on the internet but obviously other things might happen. Personally I'd simply retry. If that doesn't work, try using an email account on another domain.
Masska

Post by Masska »

bruce wrote:You can request a passkey with the same (or different) name/email/etc. If you use the same information, you'll get the same passkey.

Some emails don't get properly distributed. This can be because of overly aggressive anti-spam measures on the internet but obviously other things might happen. Personally I'd simply retry. If that doesn't work, try using an email account on another domain.
Hi Bruce,

not sure what you mean? I received my passkey and for now it seems to work. My issue is with the continuous and ongoing emails I'm receiving from the FAH server...
Masska

Post by Masska »

now I'm receiving these emails every few minutes..... Hopefully someone can help with this
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not really sure it's something that's easy to handle. FAH's email server shouldn't be resending the same email over and over so I'm guessing it's a problem elsewhere. Have you dumped the email header information? Are there any clues there?
Masska

Post by Masska »

bruce wrote:I'm not really sure it's something that's easy to handle. FAH's email server shouldn't be resending the same email over and over so I'm guessing it's a problem elsewhere. Have you dumped the email header information? Are there any clues there?
no help or useful info in the header. Header states that the email was sent 20 hours ago ... The original email was indeed sent 20 hours ago however no explanation or cause why I'm getting these constant empty emails from the FAH server.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Does it give any routing information where you might contact somebody?
Masska

Post by Masska »

thanks for your input Bruce, but sadly I ended up having to uninstall FAH.... The constant spam emails were bad enough but also the client would randomly start and throttle my PC (even though my setting were to the contrary). Hopefully they will fix these bugs and I can return as I really want to contribute...
skordeman

Post by skordeman »

Yep, not good at all. I totally hear you . The same thing has been happening to me ever since I installed F@H. I requested a passkey - it arrived approximately 4 hours after the request. That is far too slow for my liking.

I have now likened this to a commonly seen faulty app that obviously has coding issues and can't send a simple passkey within seconds/minutes aka PROMPTLY to new users. I immediately uninstalled the program, therefore, have no further need for the passkey which has been emailed to me.........wait for it.........over 20 times so far within 24 hours.

That's the worst part....the emails are fast becoming a pandemic of their own accord at this rate. Not happy.

Make sure people have an option to UNSUBSCRIBE. This is nowhere to be seen. Nobody to contact except to post in some random thread in a forum without a guaranteed fix. Sigh.

Please do something about it. You guys have been added to the SPAM filter right now as I'm sure a lot of other users have done too. Fix it up or lose more prospective people. :/
aacarm

Post by aacarm »

Masska wrote:thanks for your input Bruce, but sadly I ended up having to uninstall FAH.... The constant spam emails were bad enough but also the client would randomly start and throttle my PC (even though my setting were to the contrary). Hopefully they will fix these bugs and I can return as I really want to contribute...
I've seen these types of re-send issues from servers in the past. They are very difficult to track down and the reason isn't always transparent to the server operator. I'm currently dealing with this same issue in a development environment I work in. The staff here are stressed with issues with temporary outages right now and everyone else is stressed with whats coming.

I think everyone's goal here is work together, providing help and utility for a common goal.

A temporary solution could be to add their TLD to a block list for the time being. This would stop the "spam".
Dexro

Post by Dexro »

I signed up this weekend and am seeing the same issue. Repeat e-mails every several hours. I've gotten 11 copies of the e-mail so far.
JeniVlasov

Post by JeniVlasov »

Same issue...
I got the first email only a few hours after the request, and now I just keep getting empty emails from noreply@ foldingathome. org
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

They are looking into it along with everything else, how soon it will be fixed i do not know.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Just out of curiosity, how many times have people requested the passkey, once or more than once?