Need a little help configuring for remote clients.

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

scm2000

Need a little help configuring for remote clients.

Post by scm2000 »

Hi,
I just started tonight. I'm experienced at boinc, but heard folding@home was running covid-19 projects so here I am.

I had no problem setting up each of my machines.. they are up and running.. but would like to set up FAHControl on my mac laptop to control them all.
Got to the point that FAHControl has the remote ones listed as "online", but if I click on any of them, it shows "updating inactive" forever.

I checked with telnet to port 36330 and I can get in from my laptop.

I get the same behaviour if I set up FAControl on one of the remote machines (Ubuntu) and configure it to connect to my other machines.

any ideas? It's not a show stopper -- i can screen share to my other machines to check on them, but I thought it would be nice to have it work from my laptop.
Asgaroth

Re: Need a little help configuring for remote clients.

Post by Asgaroth »

Have you configured your systems for remote access with/without a password, and, have you setup your systems with remote acl's?

Have a look in the FAH Advanced client on your systems you want to manager under Configure->Remote Access and double check the settings there, I suspect something there is restricting you "Manager" client from connecting properly.
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson
scm2000

Re: Need a little help configuring for remote clients.

Post by scm2000 »

Oh wow. thanks! I had set it up with a blank password on the client. Just setting up a password made it work.