Questions from a newbie

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe@1229

Questions from a newbie

Post by Joe@1229 »

Hi!
My name is Joe, I live in germany and I installed folding@home on 2 machines:
- Win 10 PC
- macBook Air

1) At the registration I ordered a Passkey. Is this key linked with my Identity? What if I change my ID-Name - will it linked automatically to the passkey?
2) Is there a synchronization in the folding@home account to the machines I run? On the webpage I can't see any stat which machines I use...
3) Where can I find a list of teams ? At the website "Stats report - teams monthly" is nothing, only the message "Bad Gateway".

I hope you can help me at these starting steps...

Thanks...
Joe
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Questions from a newbie

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

1 - The passkey is linked to the username and email address you supplied when applying for it. If you lost it, applying again with the same username and email will get you the same passkey sent back.

For WU's sent back, the database stores the username and passkey information, that then never gets changed in the database. However you can use your passkey with more than one username, the stats will be recorded under each username separately. At one time you could search the database by just your passkey, but that was removed in one of the revisions.

2 - It depends on what exactly you mean by synchronization. No, the website will not show current progress, but once WU's have been returned they do show up, usually within a couple hours.

3 - there are a number of updates and changes going on for the website, hopefully they will all get sorted out in a short time.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Watsyerproblem

Post by Watsyerproblem »

Are there any requirements for getting a passkey? I tried to get one yesterday and I wasn't sent an email.
Joe@1229

Post by Joe@1229 »

Okay, thanks for this help!
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

With regards to 1), it is possible to use the same passkey with multiple user identities.

It is therefore possible to view points accumulated by a single passkey, across multiple user accounts if you so desire.

However, each user identity will need to 'qualify' by returning 10 successful WUs before it receives the bonus points
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Watsyerproblem wrote:Are there any requirements for getting a passkey? I tried to get one yesterday and I wasn't sent an email.
No special requirements that I know of. You just need to enter a username and a valid email address. I just did a test from here

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

and was sent a passkey from a F@h account on gmail. Could you check your spam folder and see if an email ended up there?

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3