Fans Got Quiet

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mamefan8171

Fans Got Quiet

Post by mamefan8171 »

Recently (within the last month or so) I noticed the fans on my machine, when folding, have gotten much quieter. There's no extended periods of the fans running at high RPMs. I didn't change anything on my end other than upgrading the drivers on my graphics card (at least twice since I noticed the change). I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this change and if there was a reason behind it?
bruce

Re: Fans Got Quiet

Post by bruce »

Welcome to the FAH support forum, mamefan8171.

Without knowing which drivers (and to a lesser extedn, which FAH projects) you're talking about I'll have to give you a general answer, not a specific one for your configuration.

There have been a number of driver versions which do a poor job of adjusting the fans to manage both heat and power (often they may not even adjust the fans).

The drivers are not designed by or managed by FAH ... they're the responsibility of AMD/ATI or nVidia so your question might get a better answer if you ask them, though many FAH users report what they see here.

Such as:Open Air Dedicated Folder and Guide
Thanks but the 346.96 drivers fan control is broken. I have had to revert to the 361.42 driver.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

That quote is incorrect and is in reference to Linux.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH supports Windows, Linux, and MacOS. You'll have to decide whether they're talking about your OS or another one.

It's still an example of what you can find here.
(Then, too, whether or not it's true in Windows is not the same as it might be in Linux. They're different drivers.)

Our assistance focuses on the FAH software and any mention of the drivers is incidental.,
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

The quote you put in is incorrect. 346.96 which is a Linux driver does have fan control. It is not applicable to any other OS and its content is wrong for the OS it is meant for.