where do you need more help ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dpp4me@gmail.com

where do you need more help ?

Post by dpp4me@gmail.com »

I am not interested in points or credit, just wanted to help out a little. I have run each client a little, I change from time to time just for fun.
Does the folding team publish any information that says where they need help, a particular client or project that they need more processing power or is running behind schedule.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: where do you need more help ?

Post by P5-133XL »

Sorry, no.

While you don't care about the points, they have said that PPD (points per day) is designed to match their science needs. So clients that get the most PPD are generally the ones that have the most scientific value to them. Perhaps you can use that information to help you decide which client to run. Do note that regardless, any help is appreciated.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Also note that they assign the work units in the order that they need to be processed to best help the project move forward, so you don't have to worry about trying to pick the best work units. Run a GPU or SMP client (or both) for the most points. After that, all donations are welcomed.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
dpp4me@gmail.com

Post by dpp4me@gmail.com »

AH, so they have already done this in there point system.
So, if they needed people to run the standard client they would up the points so people would migrate to that.
Currently they would like people to run the SMP version since it gives the highest PPD.
Did I get that correct ?
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

The -bigadv units give a ridiculous amount of points. That's where they are trying to encourage the points hounds to go. Takes some beefy dedicated hardware to run them though and return them under the deadlines. The other half of it is the bonus system. The faster you can return a -smp or -bigadv unit, the more bonus points you get.

The points serve the needs of the PG. It encourages donors to get a unit, crunch it as fast as possible, and return it in as little time as possible. Speed over quantity.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

dpp4me@gmail.com wrote:AH, so they have already done this in there point system.
So, if they needed people to run the standard client they would up the points so people would migrate to that.
Currently they would like people to run the SMP version since it gives the highest PPD.
Did I get that correct ?
That would be the theory. As to SMP vs. other clients it would all depend on the HW, and how much processor (GPU/CPU) time allocated. The SMP client PPD is highly dependent upon how fast the WU's back to them. So, if you have lower-end HW or not a full time folder the SMP client may not actually get the highest PPD for your system. For many, it is actually better to run multiple uniprocessor clients (1 per core) than a single SMP client.

Generally, if you have Nvidia GPU's you can run those concurrently with a SMP client to maximize PPD, but that may not be true for ATI video cards for they generally use more CPU resources which damages your SMP productivity. Obviously adding a PS3 to the mix is totally independent to your CPU/GPU folding choice.

Sorry to add confusion to your choice, but you can't just make a blanket statement about which client is best. It all depends on what you have hardware wise and how much you are willing to donate.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Do note that while the PPD for the Classic Client is significantly less* than that of SMP2, it still does some very important scientific work that even the SMP2/GPU can't do. If you are interested in the type of F@h Clients available and their "target audience" I would suggest that you read this -> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16207

BTW, welcome to the F@H Forum dpp4me@gmail.com

*There are plans to introduce a Bonus point system to the Classic Client but there isn't any ETA.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

PantherX wrote:Do note that while the PPD for the Classic Client is significantly less* than that of SMP2, it still does some very important scientific work that even the SMP2/GPU can't do. If you are interested in the type of F@h Clients available and their "target audience" I would suggest that you read this -> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16207

BTW, welcome to the F@H Forum dpp4me@gmail.com

*There are plans to introduce a Bonus point system to the Classic Client but there isn't any ETA.
I will second this suggestion of running a few classic clients, they are needed and with people going for the most paying clients (GPU and SMP), classic work need to be done by someone. Since you don't care about points, that's the best way to help.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The disparity in points between SMP and the Classic CPU client is also related to the speed vs. quantity issue that was mentioned earlier.

Let's say you have a Quad. The simplest choice that you have is between four copies of the Classic client or one copy of the SMP client running -smp 4. Although Stanford has to build the WUs for those configureations slightly differently, from their perspecive, you're making a choice between running four WUs at the speed of one core vs. running one WU at the speed of 4 cores. There's an inherent speed bonus built into the structure of FAH. If they award X PPD to each classic client for a total of 4*X, then the PPD for SMP should be greater than 4*X because you're returning the work on a tighter schedule -- and that was true before the advent of the bonus.

Similar logic can be applied to the difference between WUs that are assigned with the -smp flag and WUs which are assigned with the -bigadv flag.

Within either the -smp or the -bigadv category the bonus distinguishes between WUs that are returned slowly or quickly.