-local

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

geokilla
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V
MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17
XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)
XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB
EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Corsair RM650x
Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

-local

Post by geokilla »

Do we still need the -local flag? I'm running one SMP and one GPU client, and I remember that the -local was required before.
Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V
MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17
XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)
XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB
ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC
Corsair RM650x
Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans
bruce

Re: -local

Post by bruce »

If you're running V6 (at lest Linux and Windows), -local is ignored.

If, for some reason, you're still running a copy of the V5 client, -local works as it always did.
susato
Site Moderator

Post by susato »

Except for OSX!

The -local flag tells the client to set up the Folding data files and work folder inside the same directory where the client itself resides. To stay local, as it were. In both the fah5 and fah6 OSX clients, the default directory is ~/Library/Folding@home (where the ~ denotes the user's home directory). Without the -local flag, wherever the client resides - on your desktop, in your Applications folder, wherever - it will create the Folding files in ~/Library/Folding@home and always use the ones there. This is OK if you are running a single client and aren't picky about where the computer keeps it, but there are a number of reasons that you might want to have two clients going at the same time. You can't keep them in the same folder, so there has to be some way to tell the client NOT to use the default folder. Hence the -local flag.

If you set up Folding under OSX using a third party helper application like InCrease or Finstall, or if you set it up under the console client in a directory other than the default directory, you need to use the -local flag every time. If you use the Stanford Universal ("Pref-Pane") installer, you don't have a choice - it always uses the default directory.

As I understand it, in Linux (the fah6 client at least, it's the only one I've used) -local is implicit: the client always uses the local folder to set up Folding files. So the -local flag is never needed.
ColonelCain

Post by ColonelCain »

bruce wrote:If you're running V6 (at lest Linux and Windows), -local is ignored.
Really? Didn't know that. :)
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

-local is ignored because it's the default, whether you specify it or not.