Resistance...to FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MoneyGuyBK

Re: Resistance...to FAH

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

John, THAT is the best tabulation/collection of Q&A or FAQ for the naysayers and skeptics.
Great Job budd.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

John Naylor wrote:All of the above reasons countered (I hope)...

F@H needs only to be run when your computer is running. The average system uses 150-200W (will someone please give me better figures, idk what usage is like) at idle, and 200-250W (figures again) fully loaded. An extra 50W per hour will not have a significant impact on either the environment or your electricity bill.
Well, I don't know the average but I can give a few non-overclocked examples:
Athlon X2 3800 with integrated graphics: 45W idle, 65W FAH
Athlon XP 3200 with 6800GT: 125W idle, 145W FAH, probably 200+W when gaming
Q6600 with integrated graphics: 75W idle, 130W FAH.

Your idle figures are bit too high I think. Fully loaded values depend heavily on the graphics card, when gaming in SLI or Crossfire, the system can draw even 400+W. GPU client is apparently quite power-hungry too. Up to extra 50W is probably on the mark for CPU client. The loaded vs idle difference grows when overclocking though. :)
smASHer88

Post by smASHer88 »

i am met with resistance pretty much everytime i tell someone about Folding@Home like its this big bad thing and if i actually continue talking about it, it is somehow torturing them on the spot! haha people are DUMB. Most people think that anything and everything outside their simple little world of microsoft office & itunes is in one way or another a virus and should not be even thought about!

haha all ya gotta do is learn how to approach people right and different people differently etc. Try to be upbeat when you talk about it.. say how long you've been doing it.. maybe introduce it as 'hey would you like to join my team?' something like that usually atleast gives ya a minute or so until they start putting up brickwalls! But then again i have found some people VERY open-minded and i tell them i appreciate it very much and they are only too happy!

So don't let ignorant people put you off talking about Folding@Home.. damn.. my sister whose older than me.. nearly 22 basically was just sayin she wouldn't do it.. i had it out with her haha and in the end i convinced her its good.. but i could see she still thought it was a weird thing to do. But thats my sis.. i CAN tell her shes bein ignorant etc. but if you wanna attract other people like your friends & acquaintances (i know thats probs bad spelling sorry) then ya gotta be patient and learn how to approach it.

There IS a very good reason to continually work on recruiting more people.. Mainly so the Science of it all can be sped up.. but it also lets some us full-time folders maybe ease off a touch and save a few bucks on our power bill. I wanna see this project be a mainstream thing to do.. I was thinkin of an idea to approach a PC company such as Dell in Australia to maybe let me design a Folding@Home leaflet and just ask if they could include it in every customer's parcel.
Maybe you Stanford guys could try this out in California? I'm sure it would have much better chance of happening if someone 'official' approached a company such as Dell about this leaflet idea.

Cheers
Cheers

Aussie Rules Footy | Team 52735
smASHer88 - AMD64 3500+ 2.2GHz 2GB WinXP Pro SP2 5.04
Lahm_Family - Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2GB SMP
smASHer88_PS3 & Lahm_Family_PS3 - both 40GB PAL PS3s