FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

SantaFe

Re: FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

Post by SantaFe »

Cool, finally got around to recompiling FahMon using the non developmental WxGTK, and now it stays running when FAH sends in a WU. ;) But noticed if I'm using KDE 4.1, FahMon does indeed go to the System Tray when I check mark that option in preferences, but in Gnome it puts an icon onto the desktop instead. No big problem, I just uncheck that & minimize FahMon, but wondered if I was alone or if anyone else using GNOME notices the same thing?

Now back to our Regularly Scheduled Program! :D
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

FahMon 2.3.99 Released

FahMon 2.3.99 is now available for download here: http://fahmon.net/download.html

A bit of what's new in this release:

* Removed WU info panel from default view.
* Lots of performance changes.
* You can now monitor clients via FTP and HTTP.
* You can upload web output to an FTP server automatically.

As always if you find any bugs in FahMon please report them using trac

What happened to 2.4.0?
As a result of the performance and memory fixes, a previously infrequent crash-bug has increased in prevalence and will take more time to fix. Since this is still unlikely to occur often I'm releasing the current code as it stands. 2.4.0 will be released as soon as this crash-bug is fixed.

Complete changelog:

Code: Select all

v2.3.99 (03/04/09)

General

GUI

* Fixed total PPD value not updating unless a client is clicked.
      * Allow about and benchmark dialogs to be closed with escape key (thanks
        to smartcat99s).
      * Added columns for client type (determined from the core type) and core
        version number.
      * Main progress bar now hides along with the WU Info panel.
      * Total PPD display moved into the status bar.
      * Improved sorting of inaccessible or disabled clients.
      * Removed "zebra" background colour scheme from benchmarks list.
      * Added IRC channel link to help menu and First Time Dialog.
      * Removed info panel from default view, and replaced with extra columns.
      * Added informative tooltips to a number of controls.
      * Window stays maximised after hiding the FAHlog if it was maximised
        initially.

Monitoring

* Improved handling of clients within Virtual Machines.
      * Prevented FahMon from crashing when the FAH client produces excessively
        large unitinfo.txt files.
      * Fixed miscalculation of frame count when step count is a non-standard
        number.
      * Limited FAHlog parsing to last 16KiB.
      * Added ability to reload client in series rather than launching a thread
        for each client. Will improve memory usage with large numbers of
        clients.
      * Significantly reduced CPU usage while reloading.
      * Added support for monitoring clients over http.
      * Added limited support for monitoring clients over ftp.
      * Added slower, configurable timer for reloading http/ftp clients. This is
        also used for web output.
      * Added support for saving web output to an ftp server.
      * Added support for additional cores.
      * Web output is now sorted in the same way as the client list.

Other

* Added crash reporter to help debugging.
      * Fixed non-fatal bug in single-instance handler.
      * Fixed internal queue.dat/wx character conversion.
      * FahMon messages are now logged with millisecond timestamps.
      * Added partial Norwegian translation.
      * Plugged several memory leaks.
      * Message Manager now only logs errors by default.
      * Replaced internal inet protocol handling with libcurl.
      * Added "stress test" mode. Start with -s or --stress
      * New user manual.

Windows

* Reduced executable size by aggressively optimising MSVC linking
      and padding boundaries.
    * Reduced executable size by aggressively stripping unneeded options
      from wxWidgets.
    * Added --local option to allow config to be managed from local directory.
    * Fixed main window location behaviour.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Sweet ! 8-)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
francois

Post by francois »

Thanks uncle!
:D
ColonelCain

Post by ColonelCain »

Nice! Will DL now.

Though, looking over the change log, I am kinda disappointed that you removed the "Zebra" color scheme for the benchmark window. It was kind of nice, actually. Maybe you could include an option in the options dialogue to enable or disable it?

Thanks for all your hard work man!
dempaSD

Post by dempaSD »

uncle_fungus wrote:FahMon 2.3.99 Released
Many thanks!! Downloaded, installed, tested - wow, so much faster!!! Much appreciated; Donation sent...

-Dennis
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Just as an observation:

When I tried to install the new version overtop the 2.3.4 version under Vista, it said it was 2.3.99 but it operated like 2.3.4. So I uninstalled (keeping data) and reinstalled to no change (it still operated like 2.3.4).

It was only after I uninstalled and killed the data too that it operated like 2.3.99

What I mean about operated like 2.3.4 is that the column headers didn't change to the 2.3.99 version and I was still getting severe lag (periodic program not responding).
weedacres
Hardware configuration: UserNames: weedacres_gpu ...

Post by weedacres »

After installing 2.3.99 I'm getting an immediate crash when specifying a network attached folder. I have 2 local gpu folders set up and it works fine. When I try to add a VM folder either as a network folder or as a mapped drive on the same machine it immediately crashes with some kind of error that is too quick to read. The same thing happens when I try a network gpu folder from a different machine.
When I try to reopen it FAHMon flashes on the screen and disappears. I can see the Downloading New Projects window flash by before it all disappears. If I go into clientstab.txt and remove the network entry it works fine.

added: I originally installed this over the last release (2.3.4 ?). After it started crashing I uninstalled, removed the config files and reinstalled with the same result. XP pro 32.
Last edited by weedacres on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

Thanks Uncle Festus, dropped the zip file in the folder and its working fine Vista Buis. 64...
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Well back to 2.3.4. :( Compiled 2.3.99, tried running it after compiling, & nothing happens. FahMon 2.3.4 wouldn't work either. Tried deleting my 2.3.4 folder & recompiling. Same problem. Perchance I should delete both the FahMon-2.3.4 folder & the .fahmon folder & try again? ;) .

Nevermind, found out that while it did compile, I was missing a few things Kubuntu didn't install, like GFortran & the like. Too late to go thru the list tonight, Will try again tomorrow with Synaptic Package Manager & install missing components.

Works now. Durned Kubuntu, seems like everytime you get a new source code, I have to install MORE components. :D
Last edited by SantaFe on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Nice extra colums :lol:
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

SantaFe wrote:Nevermind, found out that while it did compile, I was missing a few things Kubuntu didn't install, like GFortran & the like. Too late to go thru the list tonight, Will try again tomorrow with Synaptic Package Manager & install missing components.
It shouldn't be able to compile if you have any of the components missing. The only things you should need are gcc-g++, libwxgtk-dev and libcurl-dev (may not be the exact package names for ubuntu). You certainly don't need gfortran ;)
weedacres wrote:After installing 2.3.99 I'm getting an immediate crash when specifying a network attached folder. I have 2 local gpu folders set up and it works fine. When I try to add a VM folder either as a network folder or as a mapped drive on the same machine it immediately crashes with some kind of error that is too quick to read. The same thing happens when I try a network gpu folder from a different machine.
Yes, it looks like Windows doesn't tolerate the permissions mismatch particularly well. I've already fixed this in SVN, so as soon as I fix the other known crash-bug (mentioned above) this will work again.
smoking2000

Post by smoking2000 »

uncle_fungus wrote:
SantaFe wrote:Nevermind, found out that while it did compile, I was missing a few things Kubuntu didn't install, like GFortran & the like. Too late to go thru the list tonight, Will try again tomorrow with Synaptic Package Manager & install missing components.
It shouldn't be able to compile if you have any of the components missing. The only things you should need are gcc-g++, libwxgtk-dev and libcurl-dev (may not be the exact package names for ubuntu). You certainly don't need gfortran ;)
With the following packages installed, FahMon doesn't build properly:

$ dpkg -l | egrep "^ii  (g\+\+|libwx|libcurl)" | grep -v 2.6
ii  g++                                  4:4.3.3-2                      The GNU C++ compiler
ii  g++-4.3                              4.3.3-5                        The GNU C++ compiler
ii  libcurl3                             7.18.2-8.1                     Multi-protocol file transfer library (OpenSSL)
ii  libcurl3-gnutls                      7.18.2-8.1                     Multi-protocol file transfer library (GnuTLS)
ii  libcurl4-gnutls-dev                  7.18.2-8.1                     Development files and documentation for libcurl (GnuTLS)
ii  libwxbase2.8-0                       2.8.7.1-1.1                    wxBase library (runtime) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets
ii  libwxbase2.8-dev                     2.8.7.1-1.1                    wxBase library (development) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidg
ii  libwxgtk2.8-0                        2.8.7.1-1.1                    wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)
ii  libwxgtk2.8-dev                      2.8.7.1-1.1                    wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ development)
It fails to make with:

Making all in src
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bas/software/fahmon/FahMon-2.3.99/wxcurl/src'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../wxcurl/include  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES  -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -O2   -MT base.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/base.Tpo -c -o base.lo base.cpp
mkdir .libs
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../wxcurl/include -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -MT base.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/base.Tpo -c base.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/base.o
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h: In constructor ‘wxCurlDownloadEvent::wxCurlDownloadEvent()’:
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:170: warning: ‘wxCurlDownloadEvent::m_rDownloadNow’ will be initialized after
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:170: warning:   ‘double wxCurlDownloadEvent::m_rDownloadTotal’
base.cpp:262: warning:   when initialized here
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h: In constructor ‘wxCurlUploadEvent::wxCurlUploadEvent()’:
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:214: warning: ‘wxCurlUploadEvent::m_rUploadNow’ will be initialized after
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:214: warning:   ‘double wxCurlUploadEvent::m_rUploadTotal’
base.cpp:297: warning:   when initialized here
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h: In constructor ‘wxCurlBase::wxCurlBase(const wxString&, const wxString&, const wxString&, wxEvtHandler*, int, long int)’:
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:600: warning: ‘wxCurlBase::m_iProxyPort’ will be initialized after
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:545: warning:   ‘CURL* wxCurlBase::m_pCURL’
base.cpp:394: warning:   when initialized here
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:613: warning: ‘wxCurlBase::m_nFlags’ will be initialized after
../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/base.h:604: warning:   ‘bool wxCurlBase::m_bVerbose’
base.cpp:394: warning:   when initialized here
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../wxcurl/include -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -MT base.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/base.Tpo -c base.cpp -o base.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .deps/base.Tpo .deps/base.Plo
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../wxcurl/include  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES  -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -O2   -MT dav.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/dav.Tpo -c -o dav.lo dav.cpp
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../wxcurl/include -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -MT dav.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/dav.Tpo -c dav.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/dav.o
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:23,
                 from ../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/dav.h:21,
                 from dav.cpp:28:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h: In constructor ‘wxBusyCursorSuspender::wxBusyCursorSuspender()’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:65: error: ‘wxIsBusy’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:67: error: ‘wxBusyCursor’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:67: error: ‘wxSetCursor’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h: In destructor ‘wxBusyCursorSuspender::~wxBusyCursorSuspender()’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:72: error: ‘wxIsBusy’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:74: error: ‘wxBusyCursor’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/cursor.h:74: error: ‘wxSetCursor’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:26,
                 from ../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/dav.h:21,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h: In member function ‘bool wxRegionBase::Intersect(const wxRect&)’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h:251: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct wxRegion’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gdicmn.h:38: error: forward declaration of ‘struct wxRegion’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h: In member function ‘bool wxRegionBase::Subtract(const wxRect&)’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h:256: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct wxRegion’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gdicmn.h:38: error: forward declaration of ‘struct wxRegion’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h: In member function ‘bool wxRegionBase::Xor(const wxRect&)’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/region.h:261: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct wxRegion’
In file included from ../../wxcurl/include/wx/curl/dav.h:21,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h: At global scope:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:82: error: field ‘font’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:85: error: field ‘colFg’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:89: error: field ‘colBg’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:914: error: ‘wxUpdateUIEvent’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1095: error: ‘wxSysColourChangedEvent’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1096: error: ‘wxInitDialogEvent’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1097: error: ‘wxMouseEvent’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1112: error: ‘WXWidget’ does not name a type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1114: error: ‘WXWidget’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1209: error: field ‘m_cursor’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1210: error: field ‘m_font’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1211: error: field ‘m_backgroundColour’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1212: error: field ‘m_foregroundColour’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1219: error: field ‘m_updateRegion’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:556: error: ‘wxNavigationKeyEvent’ has not been declared
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h: In member function ‘const wxRegion& wxWindowBase::GetUpdateRegion() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:755: error: ‘m_updateRegion’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h: In member function ‘wxRegion& wxWindowBase::GetUpdateRegion()’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:756: error: ‘m_updateRegion’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h: In member function ‘const wxCursor& wxWindowBase::GetCursor() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:844: error: ‘m_cursor’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h: In member function ‘wxWindow* wxWindowBase::GetGrandParent() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/window.h:1526: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct wxWindow’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/utils.h:51: error: forward declaration of ‘struct wxWindow’
dav.cpp: In member function ‘bool wxCurlDAV::Propfind(wxInputStream&, const wxString&)’:
dav.cpp:102: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
dav.cpp: In member function ‘bool wxCurlDAV::Proppatch(wxInputStream&, const wxString&)’:
dav.cpp:148: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
make[3]: *** [dav.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bas/software/fahmon/FahMon-2.3.99/wxcurl/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bas/software/fahmon/FahMon-2.3.99/wxcurl'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bas/software/fahmon/FahMon-2.3.99'
make: *** [all] Error 2
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

It looks like wx-config is being used from wxbase rather than wxgtk. This will cause problems because it produces compiler arguments that won't work for GUI programs.

As far as I know you should be able to fix it with

update-alternatives --config wx-config
And choose wxgtk instead of wxbase.
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Yeah, probably didn't need gfortran, but I did need the others which I installed at the same time. Plus it couldn't hurt anything! ;) It's times like this I miss Slackware, at least there you could say install everything during installation, and it would. (K)ubuntu seems to take the approach "Aw, he probably doesn't NEED half of these packages so I won't install them. Then you try using ./configure & discover What, No C++ compiler? no GCC? " :D