CPU or GPU Client?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hrlow2

Re: CPU or GPU Client?

Post by hrlow2 »

Not that big of a deal. 700 points on 3WUs has brought me from 655 up to 547 on the team.
Some members must be on dialup. 300 points and more than 20WUs.
kelliegang
Hardware configuration: L1:Dual Core 1.6ghz, 1GB Ram
L2:
PC1&2:P2 3.2ghz, 1GB Ram, Gforce 6800 :(
PS3

Post by kelliegang »

Sounds more like theres an issue where they're getting errors and submitting the work unit incomplete repeatedly...

Anyhow I'm on a P4 3.2Ghz with HT which for whatever reason misrepresents itself as a Pentium D... or I'm misunderstanding something *shrug* I'm about to upgrade the video card to a PCI-e card [9600GSO or 8800GT] thanks to the low power requirement and low cost of the cards it should be a rather cheap upgrade and hopefully I'll be looking at ~3000 ppd instead of the current max 600ppd I'm getting ;).
old_fool

Post by old_fool »

bruce wrote:. . . oh, and I don't know the answer to either of you questions.
Thank you, Bruce. I read carefully and understand the implications of the rest of your post. And as for the questions regarding the affinity thing... anyone? I could, of course, just do a bit of trial-and-error runs. I tried setting affinities for a uniproc client and a gpu client yesterday. Now I am leaving them with affinities to both cores - and I also run two uniproc clients instead of one. I am getting more PPD this way.
KillerClown

Post by KillerClown »

old_fool wrote:
bruce wrote:. . . oh, and I don't know the answer to either of you questions.
Thank you, Bruce. I read carefully and understand the implications of the rest of your post. And as for the questions regarding the affinity thing... anyone? I could, of course, just do a bit of trial-and-error runs. I tried setting affinities for a uniproc client and a gpu client yesterday. Now I am leaving them with affinities to both cores - and I also run two uniproc clients instead of one. I am getting more PPD this way.

Code: Select all

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinUNIGuide#ntoc2
If you disable the affinity lock, the client will pick any free CPU core. Leave to no if you want the client to be locked to a CPU core.