FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

bollix47

Re: FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

Post by bollix47 »

Tried the latest svn on Ubuntu 8.04 and got the following error when starting FAHMON:

Code: Select all

fahmon: error while loading shared libraries: libwxcurl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bollix@challenger:~/downloads/temp/fahmon$ locate libwxcurl.so.1
/home/bollix/downloads/temp/fahmon/wxcurl/src/.libs/libwxcurl.so.1
/home/bollix/downloads/temp/fahmon/wxcurl/src/.libs/libwxcurl.so.1.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libwxcurl.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libwxcurl.so.1.0.0
bollix@challenger:~/downloads/temp/fahmon$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
I did try putting a link in /usr/local/bin to the file in /usr/local/lib but that didn't help the problem.

I also tried both the GnuTLS and the OpenSSL versions of the libcurl - dev from synaptic and that made no difference either.
:?:
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

You don't actually need to dev headers for libcurl, but they won't hurt anyhow.

My guess is your ldconf doesn't include /usr/local/lib, or you need to run `sudo ldconfig` first to update the cache.

If you run fahmon from the src directory it should work (it uses some trickery to link the libraries at runtime), but the "better" solution would be to run configure with --prefix=/usr to get FahMon to install to /usr instead of /usr/local

There are still a few things I need to iron out in the config scripts now that I'm including additional libraries.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Using 'sudo ldconfig' helped move things along but after the screen opened up it complained about not being able to determine length of some file. It did ask to send you a debug report which I have done and FAHMON simply closed afterwards.

My older version of svn still 'makes' and works well, so I think I should just wait until you've finished working out the issues you mentioned. :wink:
dempaSD

Post by dempaSD »

uncle_fungus wrote:Indeed, the SVN code has been handling this very well for a while now, FahMon just reads the last 4KiB of the log and ignores the rest.
Thanks for reply! Any news about when we could see a new official release for Win? I'd rather contribute with something than having to check out code from svn and compile myself right now.. :)
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

uncle_fungus wrote: A new release is due very soon, there are a few things to finalise, but this should clear up all (hopefully) of the outstanding bugs.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

I have not attempted to read your code, so I'm not sure how you handle the names for UNKNOWN cores, but why is it imbeddded in the code? Couldn't you provide an external file that could be updated either by just downloading that file or with a text editor. Then we wouldn't need to wait for you to compile/post/distribute a new version.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

codysluder wrote:I'm not sure how you handle the names for UNKNOWN cores, but why is it imbeddded in the code?
Purely historical reasons.
codysluder wrote:Couldn't you provide an external file that could be updated either by just downloading that file or with a text editor. Then we wouldn't need to wait for you to compile/post/distribute a new version.
Potentially, yes, but not for this release.
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Howdy !!

Do have a couple of questions. I went & compiled the source code for the Linux version (After making sure I had ALL the necessary components first!) and followed the instructions (./configure, then make & finally sudo make install). Had no problems at all compiling, no error messages, but when I click on the icon to start it, a couple of boxes pop up saying:

ASSERT INFO:
../src/generic/hyperlink.cpp(80): assert "!url.empty() || !label.empty()" failed in Create(): Both URL and label are empty ?

And when I click on backtrace I get:

BACKTRACE:
[1] MainDialog::CreateLayout()
[2] MainDialog() /home/craig/My-Downloads/FahMon-2.3.4/src/mainDialog.cpp:178
[3] MainDialog::CreateInstance() /home/craig/My-Downloads/FahMon-2.3.4/src/mainDialog.cpp:219

It then runs like it should except when F@H client gets a new project when the previous one finishes, FAHMON closes (no error message) & I have to restart it.

What did I do? did I forgot something? I don't mind the pop up boxes so much, I just click continue & go on, but the part where it quits when F@H uploads the WU & gets a new one is kinda weird.
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

SantaFe wrote:Howdy !!

Do have a couple of questions. I went & compiled the source code for the Linux version (After making sure I had ALL the necessary components first!) and followed the instructions (./configure, then make & finally sudo make install). Had no problems at all compiling, no error messages, but when I click on the icon to start it, a couple of boxes pop up saying:

ASSERT INFO:
../src/generic/hyperlink.cpp(80): assert "!url.empty() || !label.empty()" failed in Create(): Both URL and label are empty ?

And when I click on backtrace I get:

BACKTRACE:
[1] MainDialog::CreateLayout()
[2] MainDialog() /home/craig/My-Downloads/FahMon-2.3.4/src/mainDialog.cpp:178
[3] MainDialog::CreateInstance() /home/craig/My-Downloads/FahMon-2.3.4/src/mainDialog.cpp:219
That means you're using a debug build of wxGTK. The warning is nothing to worry about, its just complaining that the username and team number URLs are set to be blank when the program intialises.
SantaFe wrote:It then runs like it should except when F@H client gets a new project when the previous one finishes, FAHMON closes (no error message) & I have to restart it.

What did I do? did I forgot something? I don't mind the pop up boxes so much, I just click continue & go on, but the part where it quits when F@H uploads the WU & gets a new one is kinda weird.
That definately shouldn't be happening. If you can run fahmon inside of gdb that would help greatly as it will tell me where in the code the crash is occuring.

gdb src/fahmon <enter>
run <enter>
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

I just tried the svn on another computer to see if anything was different from the original computer I tried it on and fahmon is working now with one exception.

All the GPU clients show zero PPD and the ETA on all of them is the current time.

The SMP clients all show the correct ETA and PPD.

Hope this information is helpful. :roll:
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

bollix47 wrote:I just tried the svn on a another computer to see if anything was different from the original computer I tried it on and fahmon is working now with one exception.

All the GPU clients show zero PPD and the ETA on all of them is the current time.

The SMP clients all show the correct ETA and PPD.

Hope this information is helpful. :roll:
Are the GPU clients running core_14 WUs? (Is the database up to date)

PS. I'm glad more people are finally trying the SVN builds. Feedback is really important so I can fix the bugs ready for release.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Two of the GPU clients are core 14 and the other two are not.

Yes, the database is up-to-date and all the GPU clients show the correct point values of 420, 353, 511.

The progress percentages are updating correctly.

It's just the ETA and PPD that are wrong. If I reload any of the 4 GPU clients the ETA changes to the current time and the PPD stays at zero.

I'm including the messages window and even though it points to an error reading the log files for the SMP clients they are all showing correct information in the monitoring window.

[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   FahMon 2.3.4 is licenced under the GNU GPL v2
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2003-2007 François Ingelrest
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2007-2009 Andrew Schofield
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   FahMon contains code from qd, also licenced under the GNU GPL v2
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Richard P. Howell IV.
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Sebastiaan Couwenberg
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.872] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on georgina/smp/work/logfile_05.txt
[04/03/09 - 10:58:52.086] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on endeavour/smp/work/logfile_04.txt
[04/03/09 - 10:58:52.189] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/bollix_on_challenger on ubuntu_server/fah/smp/work/logfile_01.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:51.935] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on georgina/smp/work/logfile_05.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:52.161] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on endeavour/smp/work/logfile_04.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:52.259] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/bollix_on_challenger on ubuntu_server/fah/smp/work/logfile_01.txt
btw the speed of loading the clients is now very fast and the calculation predictions for the SMP WUs with odd sizes like 250001 and 249999 are now correct. :)
Eveofwar
Hardware configuration: ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
AMD Athlon 6000+ 64 X2 @ 3.00GHz (Stock)
nVidia GeForce 9800GT @ 650MHz GPU/950MHz Memory/1620MHz Shader (Stock)
2GB DDR2 RAM

Post by Eveofwar »

I absolutely love this application, thank you to the developer and the team that keeps it up and running ! Keep up the good work guys :D
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

bollix47 wrote:Two of the GPU clients are core 14 and the other two are not.

Yes, the database is up-to-date and all the GPU clients show the correct point values of 420, 353, 511.

The progress percentages are updating correctly.

It's just the ETA and PPD that are wrong. If I reload any of the 4 GPU clients the ETA changes to the current time and the PPD stays at zero.
If you could email me a copy of the log from one of the broken clients I can't probably figure out whats happening (andrew_s {at} fahmon {dot} net).
bollix47 wrote:I'm including the messages window and even though it points to an error reading the log files for the SMP clients they are all showing correct information in the monitoring window.

[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   FahMon 2.3.4 is licenced under the GNU GPL v2
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2003-2007 François Ingelrest
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2007-2009 Andrew Schofield
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   FahMon contains code from qd, also licenced under the GNU GPL v2
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Richard P. Howell IV.
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.784]   Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Sebastiaan Couwenberg
[04/03/09 - 10:58:51.872] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on georgina/smp/work/logfile_05.txt
[04/03/09 - 10:58:52.086] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on endeavour/smp/work/logfile_04.txt
[04/03/09 - 10:58:52.189] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/bollix_on_challenger on ubuntu_server/fah/smp/work/logfile_01.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:51.935] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on georgina/smp/work/logfile_05.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:52.161] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/fah on endeavour/smp/work/logfile_04.txt
[04/03/09 - 11:03:52.259] X Error while reading /home/bollix/.gvfs/bollix_on_challenger on ubuntu_server/fah/smp/work/logfile_01.txt
They are non-fatal errors, however it does pose a slight problem in that the client creates the logfile_xx with permissions that deny you read access if the client isn't started under your username. I may have to re-think the parsing of that file to access the core version.
bollix47 wrote:btw the speed of loading the clients is now very fast and the calculation predictions for the SMP WUs with odd sizes like 250001 and 249999 are now correct. :)
Excellent.
Eveofwar wrote:I absolutely love this application, thank you to the developer and the team that keeps it up and running ! Keep up the good work guys :D
Thanks for the support!
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

uncle_fungus wrote:
That definately shouldn't be happening. If you can run fahmon inside of gdb that would help greatly as it will tell me where in the code the crash is occuring.

gdb src/fahmon <enter>
run <enter>
Yep....using Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty)
GNOME: 2.25.92 (Ubuntu 2009-03-03)
Kernal: 2.6.28-8-generic (#26-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 25 04:28:54 UTC 2009)

Will find out Tomorrow, that's when the next WU is expected to be sent. Now if only I can remember NOT to close that terminal window! :D Thanks!

Actually, even the second problem isn't really that big, I just reclick the FahMon Icon & it's back, but just wanted to know WHY! ;)
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D