cant change username sucessfully need help

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

demolicious

cant change username sucessfully need help

Post by demolicious »

i have been running folding@home for about a month now and my friend wants the both of us to use the same username, i tried to change it but the wu's i produce still go to my other acc

i want to change my username from "chrisyholmes" to "Jordy_&_Chrisy_KPL"

any help would be much appreciated| my current team is 35947 - CUSTOMPC|

if you need anymore info just ask me
bruce

Re: cant change username sucessfully need help

Post by bruce »

Welcome to the foldingforum, demolicious.

You posted in the general forum so I'm not sure which client you're using or which OS you have. Statistically speaking, I should guess Windows, but that's not certain and I still don't know if it's the systray client or the text-based Console client.

If it's the systray client, right-click on the icon and select Configure. Entering the new name will cause the next WU that you complete to go to the new name. If it's a Console client, restart with the command line flag -configonly and enter the new name when prompted.
Exeon
Hardware configuration: First is my iMac, Second is the one I've loaned my brother, third is..awaiting parts so is running out of a cardboard box
2.33, 2.5, 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB, 4GB, 1GB DDR2 RAM
ATI X1600, Nvidia IGP, SiS IGP
Mac, Windows, NotFred's LiveCD(for now)

Post by Exeon »

If you shut down F@H(completely) You should be able to just edit client.cfg, regardless of OS.(Well, not -sure- about OS X, havn't tried it yet) client.cfg's location will vary depending on OS and where you installed Folding@home, so you need to find the directory/folder you installed it to. on linux it might be a bit "fun" to do this, if you installed it as root, on windows it should be easy, on Mac OS X it should be easy(but it actually working on the preferance panel version I can't be sure it would actually work, should, though)

But the client has to be restarted for the client.cfg file to be reloaded, as far as I am aware. Editing through the preference panel on Mac OS X, or the methods bruce mentioned should be easier.
Just open the client.cfg with notepad on windows, or textedit on Mac OS X, or a similar application on linux.
Team EXEON ALIANCE, 116480. We will conquer Canada just to rename it Canadia. Till then, sticking to the warm weather of Florida.
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

Editing the client.cfg file with notepad is possible but risky... it is a linux file so should not really be edited directly on Windows (different formats meaning windows-based programs may corrupt it). The only truly safe method is to create a shortcut, and add the -configonly flag to the "Target" box of the shortcut as bruce said.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.