Way to limit download / upload speed?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Kijad

Way to limit download / upload speed?

Post by Kijad »

When my SMP client hits the server to get a new WU, it utterly kills my internet. I've checked the logs, and it's definitely my client both on download and upload (800+ kbps download, etc).

Is there any settings / flags to enter for the smp client to perhaps throttle that?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: Way to limit download / upload speed?

Post by Ivoshiee »

There is no FAH client setting for that. Try to find some utils what can enforce per application upload/download limiting.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

There are no settings, within folding, that limit upload/download speed other than asking before connecting. That will limit access to your internet to when you authorize it. With that you can specify when the bandwith problem happens to when you are not using it. Do note, that your productivity will decrease because folding will not occur while it is waiting for authorization.

You can limit the total amount of data that is transfered by using the uniprocessor client and choosing small WU's. However, to my knowledge, there are no small WU's for the SMP client...

If necessary, you can, to some extent, deal with bandwidth issues by getting a QOS router and configuring it appropiately.
PlayLoud

Post by PlayLoud »

So, about 3 times per day (at most), your connection is maxed out for a few seconds while a new WU downloads?

I am afraid I don't have a solution for you, though I don't really see how this can be that troublesome. What kind of connection do you have?
Folding@home: 24/7
- RTX 4070 Ti

Kijad

Post by Kijad »

Well, the problem in more detail is that my roommate (who plays WoW incessantly) is at home, whereas I'm not.

Essentially, it lags him out and so he physically disconnects my computer. I'm trying to find a happy medium so I don't kill him when I get back (I have remote access to my main machine, so installing stuff isn't a problem).

Luckily, I'm moving soon, but there's a LOT of idle time to take advantage of while I'm not even using the machine and I might as well. I figure just set it to small WUs or something during this brief hiatus, or maybe just kill the SMP client outright once it's done and just let my GPU client work alone; that's a bit frustrating though.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Assuming you have a Quad core CPU, temporarily replace the SMP client with 3 CPU clients. They'll UL/DL more often, but with smaller packages.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
PlayLoud

Post by PlayLoud »

Something isn't right. I have 2 SMP systems, and a PS3 folding 24/7 in my house, and multiple people playing EverQuest. I have never lagged anybody out of a game. What kind of Internet connection do you have, and what network hardware are you using?
- RTX 4070 Ti

P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

No, he's right: folding will lag-out Wow during UL/DL's (lag in the range of 2000-3000ms in the open and 7000-10000ms in a city ). It used to happen to me all the time. I then added QOS (a Dlink DIR-655 router) and it simply made it difficult during fire-fights while UL/DL'ing (Lag in the 200ms second range). Other than in a fire fight, that level of lag is tolerable. When not UL/DL my lag would be in the range of 40-50ms.
Kijad

Post by Kijad »

I'll look into the QoS solution. I dunno though; for the time that I'll be remaining there (not long) versus the time / effort getting my roommate to install a QoS on his router (huge for someone that does little else but play WoW) may not be worth it. I do very much appreciate all of the feedback, however.

I'll look into a simple solution for now though likely. Maybe just change the SMP client to small, or kill it outright until I get home after it finishes its latest WU.

=)
PlayLoud

Post by PlayLoud »

How many work units per day are you going through?
- RTX 4070 Ti

Kijad

Post by Kijad »

Only one or so usually.

I've been hearing about 3-4 a day per person, but my processor usually takes about 18-20 hours per WU. It's a Q6600 at 2.4 GHz per core.
PlayLoud

Post by PlayLoud »

I get 3 per day, but I am running the A2 cores (Advanced methods - Linux/OSX only), which run much faster. Also, my Q6600 is OC'd to 3.2GHz. My WUs are 1920 pts, and take just a tad under 8 hours to finish. If you are running a dedicated machine, I recommend a similar setup. However, if you use the machine for things like gaming, it is probably easier to leave it using Windows.

If you are completing one WU per day, ignore your roommate. He can suffer one lag spike per day. It's for a good cause. If I were in your shoes, and he disconnected my computer, I would wait until he is in a big raid, and disconnect his. But that's just me.
- RTX 4070 Ti

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I think you'll be interested by NetLimiter ... I know it's a shareware, but you might be able to find something similar, and free.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Kijad

Post by Kijad »

PlayLoud wrote: ...I would wait until he is in a big raid, and disconnect his. But that's just me.
I've given serious thought to booting him off his network when I hear him talking over Vent and can figure out he's in the middle of a big fight (yay Backtrack 3 on a USB stick =P ).

Plus he's a main healer. >.>

All things aside though, I'm just trying to figure out how to go about this in the most "humane" way for the moment (although I suppose that would involve getting his account banned so he'd go outside) until I move out at the end of this month.

I definitely appreciate all of the feedback thus far, however, and may look into getting a Linux box up and running that will handle the A2 cores as well as be a server for my own personal tinkering.

Thanks to everyone's feedback, and I'll figure something out here directly.

=3
MstrBlstr

Post by MstrBlstr »

Traffic Shaper XP
Take control of your internet usage

Traffic Shaper XP is a free bandwidth limiter for Windows 2000, XP and 2003 Server. It combines high performance traffic shaping with the ease of use and flexibility to keep your network free of congestion.
Features
# Speed limiting for bandwidth-intensive applications and protocols
# Flexible address and port filtering
# Acknowledgement prioritization to speed up congested links
# Real-time traffic monitoring and stream statistics
-=MB=-