Many Questions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

jaxstraww

Re: Many Questions

Post by jaxstraww »

Could I be using these methods now? Seems like the way to go without laboring over a virtual machine. I have an E8400 and the GPU is an HD3870. Would it be better to run 6.10 or 6.11? I'm starting to get into this now.

If I use 6.10 should I run two instances like the 5.04 client?

Or is another way to use one instance of 6.10 and then run 6.11 with one core supporting the GPU?

Windows: V6 Beta CPU (x86) clients
Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 System tray client w/installer, Read this forum post first! 6.10 beta3
Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 Console client (with service install option) 6.10 beta3
Windows: V6 Beta GPU2 (ATI 26xx, 3xxx, and later) clients
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

jaxstraww wrote:Got it. The P4 isn't putting much out at all. I have a total PPD of 2277.77 with only 225 coming from the P4. Maybe not worth the electricity to run it. So I'm looking at 2100PPD as is with the E8400. Any idea what I would put out with the VMware setup and SMP once I get that going?
Wow, 2100PPD for running 2 classic clients? :shock: What projects are these?
There is quite a bit of variety with the classic client. 3GHz Core 2 Duo usually brings in about 600 - 1000 PPD (and for some rare projects it has indeed been over 2000PPD). The SMP client has much less variety and usually brings in about 1500 - 2100 PPD.
I can also use the P4 for email and run the CD on the E8400 for a few days as well. I just need to know I won't hurt my machine doing that. That way I don't have to wait for VMware to get back online. I'll just need to DL the new ISO and set it for big WU's and 2core. I assume the 4core option is for quads.
E8400 is a 45nm part, these run quite cool so you shouldn't have any problems. But if you are getting PPD like that with classic client then it might not be worth the hassle.
Could I be using these methods now? Seems like the way to go without laboring over a virtual machine. I have an E8400 and the GPU is an HD3870. Would it be better to run 6.10 or 6.11? I'm starting to get into this now.

If I use 6.10 should I run two instances like the 5.04 client?

Or is another way to use one instance of 6.10 and then run 6.11 with one core supporting the GPU?

Windows: V6 Beta CPU (x86) clients
Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 System tray client w/installer, Read this forum post first! 6.10 beta3
Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 Console client (with service install option) 6.10 beta3
Windows: V6 Beta GPU2 (ATI 26xx, 3xxx, and later) clients
There have been reports of the GPU2 client on a HD3870 bringing in 2300+PPD for some projects. So yes, you could be running 1 GPU2 client and one classic client. The classic can be both 5.04 or 6.10. The PPD shouldn't be any different.
GPU2 + classic will probably give you more PPD than SMP on the 8200 rig. However you should be careful not to overheat the graphics card. These can get pretty hot.
jaxstraww

Post by jaxstraww »

Project 2170 on the two classics got the 2200 PPD. Your right on about the SMP as I finally got it to work last night. Folding project 2653 now with 1850 PPD. I have one running and CPU is at 100% so I'm guessing the SMP uses both cores from the get go.

Interesting about the GPU2 + client. I may give it a chance but if its just a bit better than SMP maybe I'll just hold off. If I had two HD 3870's would I need to run (2) instances of GPU2?
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

jaxstraww wrote:Project 2170 on the two classics got the 2200 PPD. Your right on about the SMP as I finally got it to work last night. Folding project 2653 now with 1850 PPD. I have one running and CPU is at 100% so I'm guessing the SMP uses both cores from the get go.

Interesting about the GPU2 + client. I may give it a chance but if its just a bit better than SMP maybe I'll just hold off. If I had two HD 3870's would I need to run (2) instances of GPU2?
Yes, but it can get complicated to tell the client which GPU it should use. There have been reports that both GPU2 clients end up using the same graphics card. It will probably get fixed in some newer version.
bruce

Post by bruce »

jaxstraww wrote:Second machine is a single core P4 3.0ghz with a x1950PRO.
jaxstraww wrote:Got it. The P4 isn't putting much out at all. I have a total PPD of 2277.77 with only 225 coming from the P4.
The benchmark machine for the classic client is a 2.8GHz P4 running a single client and it gets 110 PPD. Factoring that to 3.0/2.8 should give about 118 PPD. Running two clients would add a little more but not much.

I'm really surprised at the 225 PPD, though anything is possible. I do know that the AMBER projects are getting bonuses and the DoubleGromacs projects get a boost from SSE2 that's not accounted for in the baseline points. I'm not saying that you 225 PPD is impossible on an old P4, but it's not going to be the norm.

I've got an old P4, myself, and it still is my main internet/email/etc machine plus it folds quite happily, though the points are small compared to the faster hardware in the other rooms.
jaxstraww

Post by jaxstraww »

Could the higher number been because I was using the CD boot of folding on the P4? No overhead?

If I knew I'd be folding should have gone quad.

The P4 isn't being used for anything except for folding. I should Ebay the Mobo, CPU and graphics card and get a new MOBO and CPU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

jaxstraww wrote:Could the higher number been because I was using the CD boot of folding on the P4? No overhead?
Not likely
If I knew I'd be folding should have gone quad.

The P4 isn't being used for anything except for folding. I should Ebay the Mobo, CPU and graphics card and get a new MOBO and CPU.
Yes ... and so should I. :D
jaxstraww

Post by jaxstraww »

I upgraded the P4 to a Athlon 64X2 4800+ overclocked to 2.9ghz. Running SMP but I was going to miss the deadline by like 17 days? Was taking 30 minutes per 1%. It was 3665 or something. How do you cancel a work unit without uninstalling everything? I have project 2653 going now on the new machine and I'm 18mn into it without a jump yet. Man did I upgrade the wrong way. Maybe should have gone another route?

No way to GPU1 any longer? Maybe I'll do better with the x1950PRO?
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

The GPU1 is near the end of it's life. Buying hardware to use it would be a waste. If you have a card, you can try it with a cpu client for the other core.

You can dump a WU that won't finish in time by deleting the work folder and the queue.dat file. That's a drastic step, so make sure there is no way to make the deadline. If you do this, switch to cpu clients. It doesn't help the project if you repeatedly download and dump SMP WUs.

You did upgrade the wrong way for the SMP. I built an X2 6000+ (@3.16GHz) gaming rig about the time I started folding. I does OK on the SMP, but is pushed to the limit on the 3065. A few more steps up in size or speed on the SMP WUs will leave this box in the dust. My 3 folding boxes since then have been C2 procs (E4500 (cpu clients), two Q6600 (SMP)).

I'd say you upgraded to a good, solid machine for 2 cpu clients.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

jaxstraww

Post by jaxstraww »

I already have a x1950PRO, just need to get my hands on the client for a bit. If anything just to see what I could get out of this for benchmarking.

I hear you about the 4800+. I built the E8400 machine to be my primary but had a hard time of wasting energy on the P4 to fold. Only two alternatives then. Shut the machine down or upgrade. Not wanting to buy a second great machine I settled at $150.00 which got me a new mainboard, 4800+ and 2GBs of faster RAM. Great improvements. My fear (dollars that is) I can't stop going North. If its a 6000+ why not just go quad???? Then I'll need a new GPU and another 2GBs of RAM. Oh then that 450 watt PS I have been using won't handle the new load........It'll never stop and I'll end up with another $1200.00 build.

I have the 4800+ clocked at almost 6000+ core speeds. I'll hold out a few more months and hope the tri's or quads go down a bit. Best move I made was returning the AGP board I just bought to a new Gigabyte board with allot of future proof features.

Anyone with a clean GPU1 client file?
BigApplePi

Post by BigApplePi »

Am new to VMware Player and would like to use it on my Windows XP duo. My XP is 32-bit. Can I run folding or do I require a 64-bit operating system? The processor on my duo is 64-bit. I did try it. I installed VMware Player but got this message:

VT not enabled:

This is usually due to a BIOS/firmware problem. Please:
(1) Verify the BIOS/firmware settings enable VT mode.
(2) Power-cycle the host, if the BIOS/firmware VT settings were changed at boot.
(3) Power-cycle the host, if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.
(4) Update host BIOS/firmware to the latest version.
You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.
For more detailed information, see ht tp://vmware.com/info?id=152

Any idea how to enable this? How would I get at the BIOS/firmware if that's what they're asking?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Currently running 64-bit Ubuntu as a guest on Vista 32-bit host, so to answer your question, no, the host doesn't have to be 64-bit. I am using VMware server but don't know if workstation is any different.

When you want to enter your bios and check the VT setting usually you tap the delete key after the first beep when booting.

Different bios may use different keys. Check out the following link for other examples:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

BigApplePi wrote:Am new to VMware Player and would like to use it on my Windows XP duo. My XP is 32-bit. Can I run folding or do I require a 64-bit operating system? The processor on my duo is 64-bit. I did try it. I installed VMware Player but got this message:

VT not enabled:

This is usually due to a BIOS/firmware problem. Please:
(1) Verify the BIOS/firmware settings enable VT mode.
(2) Power-cycle the host, if the BIOS/firmware VT settings were changed at boot.
(3) Power-cycle the host, if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.
(4) Update host BIOS/firmware to the latest version.
You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.
For more detailed information, see ht tp://vmware.com/info?id=152

Any idea how to enable this? How would I get at the BIOS/firmware if that's what they're asking?
This is supported on most modern CPUs but not all of them.
See this table.