Windows 2000 [Not supported in version 6.xx]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Windows 2000 [Not supported in version 6.xx]

Post by bruce »

lobuxracer wrote:From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Windows 2000 Server GA 3/31/2000 Mainstream Support Expired 6/30/2005 Extended Support Retired 7/13/2010
Windows 2000 Professional GA March 31, 2000 Direct OEM and Retail last sale date March 31, 2004 OEM System builder last sale date March 31, 2005

More info available on Service Pack support here.

So, saying it is no longer supported depends on your view. I wouldn't call Microsoft to open a case for a W2K issue these days.

I see the point here, I just don't want to "upgrade" to the newer, more bloated, software they're selling these days. I also don't want to convert my environment to Linux because I'd be SOL for the GPU2 clients.
I know you guys are frustrated, but you've stated the issues clearly (and since I have no longer have any W2K, I have no personal interest in the issue, either way.)

I will point out that your GPU2 justification is a pretty weak one. The Windows version is currently running in version of WINE with some relatively straightforward dll wrappers and I'm quite confident that there'll be a native Linux version before long. (I make no prediction of when, though)