Not starting on reboot PC

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Gwalch

Not starting on reboot PC

Post by Gwalch »

G'Day All,
Long time cruncher... I have just done a format and reinstall of Windows 10 on the humble home PC and now every time I reboot the PC.. FAH doesn't start up and I have to reinstall it.
Have uninstalled FAV.. etc etc.. and the rotten thing still won't come back on a reboot.
HELP please!!!

Cheers

Nich

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/id/175572
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Re: Not starting on reboot PC

Post by muziqaz »

Which fahclient version?
What is FAV?
Full PC specs would be nice

In what way it doesn't start? It is not showing up in systray? It does show up on systray but not folding?
FAH Omega tester
Gwalch

Post by Gwalch »

Version 8.3.18
FAV is a typo.. should have been FAH (Folding At Home)

PC: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
16GB Ram
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.. 16Gb RAM

When the system reboots.. it doesn't show up in systray... not showing in Task Manager.. I click on the desktop icon and it doesn't do anything.

Have been running FAH on this PC for a couple of years now.. never had an issue before.
All I have done is format the SSD and start from scratch.
Same version of Windows.. same fahclient.. same Hardware.. just now not working.
Was working fine up up until the moment I started from scratch.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

Does V8 installation process ask you if you want to start fahclient with windows, or something? I have not installed V8 on windows for a year now, so not sure how it works, but in Linux it creates the process which is started when you boot up. And Linux installer after installation, starts fahclient, but not folding (obviously). Windows should behave the same, that after installation, it would launch web browser with web control page, where you can configure your FAH client and start folding.
What browser are you running? V8 is not compatible with Safari and brave browser has issues with it.

You can enter v8-3.foldingathome.org in your browser to see if that detects a fahclient running
FAH Omega tester
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The windows installer asks if you want it to automatically start when you log on.

If you choose no, you must manually start when you want it.

Note that fah can only run when someone is logged in on Windows. This is because a service install cannot access any GPUs.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

BTW, Brave works fine if you use Shields Down for the web control site.
Gwalch

Post by Gwalch »

Yep.. when installing it asks to automatically start.. that is ticked.
I even tried manually adding the FaH exe file to the startup folder.. still nothing.
Am running Chrome.

Just funny that it was all working fine with the same setup prior to the formatting and clean install.

If I feel motivated later I might wipe the whole lot again and start again.. it's just painful when you live out rural and the internet is SOOOOOO slow when it comes to downloading everthing again.
Gwalch

Post by Gwalch »

Ok.. I just uninstalled v8.3.xx and put v7.6.21 back on.. rebooted the PC and it worked perfectly.
Started up.. downloaded core.. and started folding away.

Sooo... I just reinstalled v8.3.18 over the top of v7.6.21 (no uninstall) and then rebooted the PC.. and the darn thing works.

I have just rebooted the PC 3 times... each time letting FaH chug away for a few minutes.. and it's still working!!!

I dunno.. this is above my pay grade but hopefully it works for others.