FAH not reporting number of devices correctly!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

empleat

FAH not reporting number of devices correctly!

Post by empleat »

https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/27/up ... pu-counts/

In recent news... fah doesn't report number of devices correctly, which is caused by using containers that have no persistent storage. What does this mean? What is container? I read faq, but there is nothing about containers... I have fah data folder on hdd. Is that it? There is also link on github for recommended containers for nvidia: https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/containers But i have no idea how to set this up... Btw i am folding on Windows.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: FAH not reporting number of devices correctly!

Post by PantherX »

No persistent storage simply means that no data is stored on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive). In other words, think of everything that is stored in RAM thus, when you power-off your system, anything stored in RAM is lost.

A container is a "special" virtual machine that can run multiple applications on the same Kernel. This picture might help you assuming that you are familiar with VMs (Virtual Machines):
Source: https://www.cloudsavvyit.com/490/what-d ... ou-use-it/

This is typically used by IT teams to deploy scalable applications across large infrastructures in an automated manner. In other words, this is when you want a company to contribute to F@H after gaining appropriate permissions on server grade hardware. It would not be used for typical hardware found in majority of homes.

When it comes to performance, assuming that the container is Linux based, it would be same or slightly slower than native Linux installation. Currently, Linux is faster than Windows.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

The development of Containers (primarily for major companies contributing to the COVID projects) broutht this problem to light, but it has always been with is in a milder form. If I am running a client and I decide to remove and replace the software, I may contirubte a single instance of "no local storage" for the older installation that I wiped out. Our container users were (are?) doing a lot of wiping out of older installations.

In addition to solveing that problem, we have a new plan which whill accurately report the PRODUCTIVE FLOPS from each WU that is completed instead of using estimates.

Lots of development costs to fix one number, but the new system will be much better, too. We didn't intentionally lie about our size records.
Knish

Post by Knish »

i'm still slightly confused. Does that mean the news several months ago of passing 2 exaFlops is now wrong?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Knish wrote:i'm still slightly confused. Does that mean the news several months ago of passing 2 exaFlops is now wrong?
Firstly, the 2 exaFLOPS was very early in the era of corporate assistance, so may not have been wrong.

Since the beginning of the Pandemic, F@H participation has dropped, our peak computing power was in early May 2020. It is about 1/2 that now. People lose interest.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... ary.php?s=

extremeoverclocking.com does not measure FLOPS, but does measure both Points and Work Units. You can look at them weekly or monthly.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

It wasn't just a loss of interest, I think. During the most severe lockdowns, some companies were folding on their infrastructure and office computers while the workers were at home. That stopped once business resumed, or, sadly, when some of those businesses closed down.
Online: GTX 1660 Super + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sadly, people do also loose interest. FAH can't compete with the latest video game and if you're sequestered, you want something that holds your interest.
oreggin

Post by oreggin »

We interested in scientist liquidate pandemic. Maybe it would be more interesting if scientist feedbacking about science more offten. Process indicator is eyecandy too like stats ;-) Without progress bar it seems endless burning CPUs and GPUs without results.
BTW I folding with 2-3 PC but stats shows 4 clients. Another interesting thing is curecoin and saturn V started folding but stats monotonically going down so maybe something really miscounted about the stats.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Stats like this (https://fah-ws3.s3.amazonaws.com/covid- ... index.html) can only work since you know the total number of WUs (based by the number of compounds to test). That is, projects supporting Moonshot might be able to have progress bars as long as they know how many WUs needs to be generated.

For other traditional projects, having a progress bar isn't feasible since the researchers don't know how much data they need which will be meaningful for them. While they check it regularly, they don't know if they will get meaningful results in 4 weeks or 4 months. Some projects do run for multiple years. However, there are plans to make a better stats system which got side-tracked when the pandemic arrived.
ETA:

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
oreggin

Post by oreggin »

Perfect stats page, thanks. I didn't know about moonshot 4. I read news @ https://foldingathome.org/news/ but there is no moonshot 4 over there or maybe I'm blind.
Ok, progress bar was only an idea. Folders like to see their burning silicons has results and stats is not enough in pandemic. Maybe if they doesn't lose sight of the target they won't lose interest ;-)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Go to the main page - foldingathome.org, you may need to scroll down to see the progress bar for moonshot #4. That is currently at around 96%.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
oreggin

Post by oreggin »

Ohh, thanks, I'm always running away to "take me home" link because I didn't noticed there is content below huge letters and the page is eating CPU ang GPU. I always thought the main page is only some fckn big letters and shading colors :-)
empleat

Post by empleat »

Oof, for last 50 days only 240 TFLOPS??? Hope, that 2.4 EXAFLOPS weren't reported just because this issue!!!
https://stats.foldingathome.org/os

Also moonshot doesn't get any funding, since last month they got only 2k$ LOL. They have to have some other funding too, but still that's depressing...
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

empleat wrote:Oof, for last 50 days only 240 TFLOPS??? Hope, that 2.4 EXAFLOPS weren't reported just because this issue!!!...
The current page shows the stats for only 3 days. The text about 50 days is a mistake and has been reported so will be fixed: https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/27/up ... pu-counts/
ETA:

empleat

Post by empleat »

PantherX wrote:
empleat wrote:Oof, for last 50 days only 240 TFLOPS??? Hope, that 2.4 EXAFLOPS weren't reported just because this issue!!!...
The current page shows the stats for only 3 days. The text about 50 days is a mistake and has been reported so will be fixed: https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/27/up ... pu-counts/
:lol: :lol: :lol: