Still can’t get new work units

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Akaanc

Still can’t get new work units

Post by Akaanc »

My pcs can’t get new work units. I can fold only a few wus per day and waiting on idle most of the day. Sometimes it requires me to reboot my pc to get new work units.

Can you arrange more servers maybe cloud computing sponsors to handle the load and assign work units. Maybe google cloud can help with assignment servers. We cant use our all potential computing power at the moment.
xixou

Re: Still can’t get new work units

Post by xixou »

same issue here
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

They are working on it but it takes time to get new hardware up and new projects made.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

The situation is much better than it has been over the last few days, the servers are currently servicing over 72k requests for work per hour and that keeps on going up.
GoHack
Hardware configuration: Dell Inspiron 5676 Desktop; AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU; Dell Nvidia GeFoce GTX 1070 Video Card; 32 GB DDR4, 500 GB Samsung 970+ M.2 SSD; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

- Alienware Aurora R8 Desktop; Liquid Cooled Intel i5-9600K CPU; (2x) EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Ultra Video Cards; 32 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz); 500 GB Samsung 970+ M.2 SSD; 850 Watt Power Supply; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... p?u=418078

Post by GoHack »

I'm having the same issue when it comes to my getting more work, which requires me to either manually pause and then run FaHControl, or having to reboot my pc, in order to get more work.

It's one thing to keep peoples systems up and actively running FaH, while its another to having them just sitting idle and wasting energy.

It seems like its an issue w/the software. It would be great to have the software send a beacon or something stating that the system is open and waiting for new work, rather than having people manually do it. In fact, simply sending out completed work should be enough to ask for new work.

To add, to be able to collect multiple amounts of work, like BONIC does, would also be great. Maybe FaH should move over to operating via BOINC?

While having just one system may not be an issue for most people, but I have four (4) running on the weekends, which I shut then down to just two (2) during my work week, since I can't maintain them, work wise. I have to go into each system when they go idle, in order to get more work for them.

I also have a fifth system sitting idle on the side until there's more work available to justify running it.
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

Check the logs in the Advanced Control, you will find appropriate log file entries if your client is trying to get new work, but no work is available:

Code: Select all

08:18:34:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
On my machine, it happens periodically every 30min. If it happens successively, other clients are just grabbing the work in between.
By restarting the client or your PC, you'll just force your client to check more often (My educated guess: extra server load, not wanted, don't do it).

My GPU's been pretty busy over night, but CPU not so much - it just happens currently. And having a few extra resources idle every now any again, wasting a small amount of power (idle, monitors off) is preferrable to not having enough resources, from the project's point of view. Isn't t hat the principle of a 'cloud' after all? ;)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

GPU work units are now flowing freely from the servers, cpu units are still struggling to meet demand. IF you have gpu and cpu slots i would suggest pausing the cpu slots for now until this gets better
puuteknikko

Post by puuteknikko »

Looks like those cloud based servers are also having some problems giving out WUs.

09:54:47:WU00:FS01:Requesting new work unit for slot 01: RUNNING gpu:0:GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] 2138 from 40.114.52.201
09:54:47:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 40.114.52.201:8080
09:55:48:ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: 10001: Server responded: HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
Ryzen 3900X, 12c/24t @ 3.8GHz
kbeeveer46

Post by kbeeveer46 »

Is there a specific project we should select that will usually have the most amount of work available? I'm in the same boat. Been folding for a year with about a million PPD but I'm lucky to get over 300k now. On my GPU I have 2 folding slots getting errors trying to send and one slot getting an error trying to download right now...
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

for those complaining about wasted energy having the computer on but with no work, it is minimal energy if your cpu and gpu are not working. I understand the desire to help but the idle energy usage of your computer will be very very low.
single 1070

corona with lime

Post by corona with lime »

Hoping I can get a bit of input.
I have 25 Thinkpad t440 i5 8gm ram with intel graphics that I can have up and running by todays end. Are these machines helpful or should I not bother.
Currently i have the software installed on a simialr machine and its working on project 13861(not corona?)
Thanks
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

It takes a while for me to get a WU (CPU). I just had to wait for about an hour. You'll get one eventually :)
Garver77

Post by Garver77 »

yeah I've had this problem for 4 days now, I work one and go a couple days without one.
WTS

Post by WTS »

Akaanc wrote:My pcs can’t get new work units. I can fold only a few wus per day and waiting on idle most of the day. Sometimes it requires me to reboot my pc to get new work units.
Can you arrange more servers maybe cloud computing sponsors to handle the load and assign work units. Maybe google cloud can help with assignment servers. We cant use our all potential computing power at the moment.
I'm having a very hard time "sending" completed units. Sometimes they just hang around for many days. Can you do anything about that? Thanks.
P.S. Are we making any progress with the large number of new users? Have we learned anything new? This may be a rare chance, as sad as it is,
to learn a great deal about the protein problem. When the current Pandemic is over, many people may leave the program and we'll be back to
where we started from, until the next crisis.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
beerhoff
Hardware configuration: Intel i9-7900X 3.30GHz 20-cores + NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti| MacBook Pro i7 3.1GHz Quad core + ATI Radeon Pro 560

Post by beerhoff »

WTS wrote:
Akaanc wrote:My pcs can’t get new work units. I can fold only a few wus per day and waiting on idle most of the day. Sometimes it requires me to reboot my pc to get new work units.
I'm having a very hard time "sending" completed units. Sometimes they just hang around for many days. Can you do anything about that? Thanks.
P.S. Are we making any progress with the large number of new users? Have we learned anything new? This may be a rare chance, as sad as it is,
to learn a great deal about the protein problem. When the current Pandemic is over, many people may leave the program and we'll be back to
where we started from, until the next crisis.
I am receiving new WU, as for CPU, as for GPU. Perhaps, priority depends on hardware config?
Facebook group for Canadians is here