Added a passkey and got my points removed

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Dodec-chan

Added a passkey and got my points removed

Post by Dodec-chan »

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I appreciate the fact that it is run purely by volunteers. As such, I apologize if my question has been asked before, although I could not find one.

To get to the point, as the title implies, I have added a passkey to my identity, and the points that I have been credited with have been removed.

My original WU that I have recently submitted was:
Project: 14052 (Run 3, Clone 180, Gen 1)

However, adding the key has caused this to be no longer credited to me. Is there a way I could fix this? Any help is much appreciated!
bruce

Re: Added a passkey and got my points removed

Post by bruce »

It's still credited to you ... but you're not looking at the right "you"

One user does not "own" a username. Only your passkey is unique. The score of all users named X without a passkey are associated with that name but the points associated with the name X and the passkey K are in a separate account.
Denes

Post by Denes »

I have the same issue. I just entered my passkey and my points were reset to zero. Furthermore, I feel that not all my points were shown as my totals as I checked the logs and I should have 10x more points.
Gparkhill7

Added Passkey/Points gone

Post by Gparkhill7 »

Morning,

I just added a Passkey to my client and lost all of my points. Is there any way that I could get them back. My username is the same I just added a Passkey.

Thanks,
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The bonus points come after you have completed and turned in 10 WU's. The client has no way of telling if your passkey and username combination has already been qualified for the bonus, its estimate is based on whether a passkey is entered or not.

As Bruce mentioned, your points are still there, but the display in Web Control searches on both username and passkey. A search on the stats site by just username will show all points submitted by that, can include other person's results if your username is not unique. Mine shows 4 results, 2 are me on two different teams, and two unrelated folders.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
madstorm

Post by madstorm »

Why actually all this base on name which is possible to be not unique? Why don't you use user ID which I believe every user should get or actually get while starting folding? Where to check that id?

Also after addition of passkey, how the user name looks like? Is this like combination of user name and passkey? On both web client and advanced one I can see only user name. Also when it searches for stats (which mostly return `bad gateway` or `gateway timeout`) I see only the username in in the URL: `https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/madstorm`
aaronbrighton

Post by aaronbrighton »

Joe_H wrote:The bonus points come after you have completed and turned in 10 WU's.
I was surprised at the level of bonus points. I've been trying to get a passkey for a week, but the emails never reached my Microsoft email, tried against a Gmail address today and it came through -- after applying the passkey my point accumulation has gone up 8x what I was getting before. It's too bad all those points I earned before I could finally get the key won't be multiplied as well :(
DaveAitch

Post by DaveAitch »

This happened to me as well. Fortunately, I woke at about 05:00 GMT and was able (for once) to get fully onto 'stats', so I could see the old points were still there. I am waiting for the current WU on my laptop to finish, so I don't know as yet whether I shall have a completely separate entry for my passkey points, or if both sets will be lumped together for some of the stats. I can't say I'm really too bothered how many points I get as long as my (small) contribution is helping the overall cause: prodesse quam conspici, as our old school motto would have it. I certainly haven't got 24 top-of-the-range systems bashing out results to get me anywhere near the leader board. Annoyingly, though, after twenty four hours online, I'm still waiting for my desktop to actually start to process something useful. There might be an answer somewhere in the help files, but I have, as yet, to find it.
DaveAitch

Post by DaveAitch »

It has taken two days, but all is well now. Points accrued are being accredited to me (as well as the team), the desktop is running and I have (with a little help) solved the problem of the non-working graphics card.
R1v3r

Post by R1v3r »

Where did you ask to get those points to be added to your account? I have been running with 2 pcs folding and I finally created this passkey, so I would like to have those points to be added to my account also :) (Assuming those are still shown on my TEAM stats. Where did you ask about these points?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As explained, Web Control shows points based on username and passkey. Once it is added the points earned without a passkey do not show in Web Control, but are still there to be found in the official stats under your username. Search would be here - https://stats.foldingathome.org/donors. The points should also still shows on your team.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
R1v3r

Post by R1v3r »

Joe_H wrote:As explained, Web Control shows points based on username and passkey. Once it is added the points earned without a passkey do not show in Web Control, but are still there to be found in the official stats under your username. Search would be here - https://stats.foldingathome.org/donors. The points should also still shows on your team.
Oh. Yes it seems. Thans! I was just wonderin, that this advsnced editor also "lost" my points, but it is there still :) now hoping just many wu's. Do you know, if fah got theis servers updated already?
bruce

Post by bruce »

madstorm wrote:Why actually all this base on name which is possible to be not unique? Why don't you use user ID which I believe every user should get or actually get while starting folding? Where to check that id?
Did you come here to earn points or to help with COVAID-19 research? The passkey and the points are not required to do the research. FAH does not FORCE you to get a passkey. FAH was originally designed with non-unique names and when the passkey was invented, the original Donors were allowed to keep their points.

Sure, points are nice, but FAH was originally designed before the passkey was invented bonus points were tied to it. Your points were not removed, but they are not in your passkey-related account.