Finding out when this results in something

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GingeraMan

Finding out when this results in something

Post by GingeraMan »

How do we know when this Coronavirus research may result in something? And in laypersons terms has FaH achieved much over the years in terms of real world impact?
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Re: Finding out when this results in something

Post by v00d00 »

Results - https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

Has it achieved anything? Yes. Several new drugs were based on the results published (and that was a few years back when I last looked. Probably more by now. TBH, I'm not the best person to answer this question, but since no one else has, i'll try. :)
alxbelu

Post by alxbelu »

So, in general, any accumulation of new knowledge is an achievement in science; e.g. knowing that something does not work allows you to rule that out and consequently move on to other things you have not yet tried. So with other words, even if no actual cure is created based on any direct result from F@H, it may still indirectly contribute to a cure by ruling out combinations that do not work, allowing other teams/scientists to try other combinations.

I'm not well versed in medical science specifically though, but my guess is that any positive result from a simulation like this would probably take quite a while to put into any practical use, and I would be surprised if any cure/vaccine took less than a year to get through the various clinical tests required.
Official F@H Twitter (frequently updated): https://twitter.com/foldingathome
Official F@H Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Foldinghome-136059519794607/

(I'm not affiliated with the F@H Team, just promoting these channels for official updates)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Can I be cynical for a while?

This project is run by academic biochemists, so the two outputs are public domain datasets of new knowledge and academic papers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publish_or_perish

Commercial Drug companies will take that free data and use it to invent new drugs. They will do everything in their power to hide the fact that we did the research and instead tell Congress that drugs HAVE to cost a lot due to R&D costs.

Consumers will take those drugs and live longer. This is the step I am folding for.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Its not cynical when its true. Drug companies are greedy. But they also tend to be the only ones with the capital to create new drugs.
Praetorian

Post by Praetorian »

In any case publicly available data / datasets is very important and can only improve the quality of research work and results.
jbgcpcert

Post by jbgcpcert »

So basically what this program achieves is cost reduction in R & D for pharma companies who then charge Americans exorbitant rates? Welp thats a sad face, here I have a 1660 oc nvidia card doing nothing and a 2080 ti doing nothing. Do we know if results published in research papers from break throughs coming from this platform prevent the pharma companies from monopolizing a drug?