Greetings All!!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

drinkyt

Greetings All!!

Post by drinkyt »

Good afternoon everyone,

I am new here and just found out about this today! I was more than excited to get started and putting my servers to work! I currently have 1 out of 4 servers running. I wanted to see how it went on one of them and will later add more servers to the mix as I go. First off I am using a few VM's to run different Folding clients. Currently a Centos7 and a Windows10 with 8 CPU's a piece. Everything seems to be going well, but I have a few questions. I created a team #237771 and when I login to client I added the same username for both VMs with the same team ID, is this correct?? And it said the stats update every hour or so, everytime I go to search I get a bad gateway error? Can anyone explain this to me?

What else can I do to help?? I have a few more powerful servers with great CPU's ready to burn through some work! Please let me know what I can do!!! Oh and how can I get a cool stat chart in my sig???

THANKS!!!!
bruce

Re: Greetings All!!

Post by bruce »

Yes, use the same name/team/passkey on all your clients.

CPUs are good, but do you have any supportable GPUs? (They're even better.)

When a single (real) CPU is shared across multiple VMs, each virtual CPU has to share resources with the others so almost nothing is gained compared to a single CPU with multiple threads. (A single FAH client can generally use ~100% of the CPU's resources.)
drinkyt

Post by drinkyt »

Yes, I am starting to see this now. And it seems Linux is running better than the Windows. Am going to have to change this after I complete. Can you specify what a good Points per day looks like? Currently at 23,000 on my centos? Just trying to get a little understanding for this. And as I understand GPU's are more sought after, I mostly have enterprise level servers that I would prefer to use over a single GPU on my gaming rig. If there is anything else such as advice you have please do tell? Want to help out as much as I can...hopefully will have the other 3 servers up soon!
cliffdog01

Post by cliffdog01 »

Hi, I can't get the webpage stats to show the Advance Control seems to work fine but the web control gets stuck on an infinite refresh loop and the https://stats.foldingathome.org/ just comes up with "Bad Gateway".
I should be under the name Cliffdog01 and Team 223518 I just want to know if my progress is getting through since I did complete a fold through the CPU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

"Bad Gateway" has been an on-and-off problem. All the new activity is overwhelming the capacity of the gateway. The code was rewritten yesterday but it's still close to its limitations.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

drinkyt wrote:Can you specify what a good Points per day looks like?
No. My weakest Pentium gets 1.1k PPD, my fastest i5 gets 11k PPD. I have a GTX1050ti at 140k PPD and a GTX 1060 at 440k PPD.

So there simply is no general right answer. (you may notice I use trailing edge hardware)

For GPUs, use the latest driver from AMD's or Nvidia's website.

For CPUs choose a number of CPUs that is only divisible by 2, 3 and 5. If your server is quite large, build multiple slots of 16 CPUs each, plus the left overs in a slot

For any user, add a Passkey for the most Points. (it does not make better science, just more points)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
cliffdog01

Post by cliffdog01 »

bruce wrote:"Bad Gateway" has been an on-and-off problem. All the new activity is overwhelming the capacity of the gateway. The code was rewritten yesterday, but it's still close to its limitations.
So just to be more clear do my Folds still get entered and help or do they register as an error until it is mended on your end like should I continue folding right now or should I wait a bit?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

cliffdog01 wrote:
bruce wrote:"Bad Gateway" has been an on-and-off problem. All the new activity is overwhelming the capacity of the gateway. The code was rewritten yesterday, but it's still close to its limitations.
So just to be more clear do my Folds still get entered and help or do they register as an error until it is mended on your end like should I continue folding right now or should I wait a bit?
The Bad Gateway messages are from the front end server for the stats database, the WU's themselves are stored on the Work Servers. The stats database is still getting updates done on its own server.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
drinkyt

Post by drinkyt »

One quick question, are you guys on any IRC channels/servers? Or is everything centralized through here?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Direct IRC seems to have been abandoned.

An important feature of this forum is it's SEARCH feature ... if folks would just look to see if somebody else has already asked the same question before they post.
drinkyt

Post by drinkyt »

bruce wrote:Direct IRC seems to have been abandoned..
Thanks anyway....