Coronavirus Disease -COVID-19

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Coronavirus Disease -COVID-19

Post by bruce »

... and for the CPU soon. (A specific announcement will appear when they're ready.)
foldinghomealone2

Post by foldinghomealone2 »

There's an announcement
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32309
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

KA1J wrote:Folks, thank you for the efforts and assistance. The WUs related to Covid-19 are running nicely on my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. As the CPU workloads are working on other data and I wish to dedicate work to this pandemic only until it is resolved, I have removed the CPU slot, leaving the GPU working in folding, and have restarted downloading WUs on Rosetta which is now working on COVID-19, Rosetta only uses the CPU.

I will check back periodically to see if modifications to the engine to allow the CPU to be dedicated to COVID-19 have been accomplished. If that is the eventuality, I will be happy to re-engage the CPU in F@H to do this, I'd rather be running just one distributed computing software at a time.

Thanks, and good luck to us all.
Be sure to leave two CPU threads free to get full speed from FAH GPU core.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
kckinwa

Post by kckinwa »

I am trying to do my part to help with COVID 19. It has been a few years since I have contributed to folding. I just today re installed FAH and unfortunately they have changed the web control, am I missing something? I cant seem to find a way to open the advanced control panel, is this no longer available? How do I control my settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated I have three high end machines that i want to put to work ASAP. I have two of them up and running now but they are not focused on COVID 19 and I would like to change this ASAP.
kckinwa

Post by kckinwa »

I have a 1080Ti and a RTX 2080 ti both sitting idle, i have to get these running but can not find a control for it in the web control.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

click on the icon in the bottom right of your toolbar. advanced control is second from the top. there's no work right now - the servers are empty - so don't fret.
single 1070

kckinwa

Post by kckinwa »

Copy that! Thank you, feel like a heal at the moment that was too easy lol.
N7ERV
Hardware configuration: Motherboard: MSI X570 UNIFY (AM4)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X (16 core @ 4.2ghz average)
Video Cards: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Memory: 64gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz

Post by N7ERV »

I've been crunching numbers under the SETI project for years. Friend of mine told me about Folding and it's efforts towards COVID-19. I've switched over and devoted everything to this project, and am spreading the word to my friends to do the same.
Zerathulu

Post by Zerathulu »

Hi,

I'm completely new to F@H, and desperately trying to help with COVID-19 but I can't work out how to configure so my GPU is used. I don't know how to find any options or anything. Can anyone help?

Cheers
X-Wing

Post by X-Wing »

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on configuration settings, but it seems that if you follow the install instructions properly, and click the "Start Folding" or "Fold" button, your GPU should get to work. If this is not what is happening for you, go to FAHControl > Configure > Slots and make sure that there is a slot in the list labeled gpu. If not, you can try adding one, and there should be threads on how to do that.

Also know that FAH is experiencing a shortage of Work Units, for both COVID19 and in general, as the number of people donating has almost tripled in the last month, and almost 2000 new folders coming online in a span of 10 hours.
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
JamieF

Post by JamieF »

I have an AMD R9 380, is this too old to be used for folding?
bruce

Post by bruce »

N7ERV wrote:I've been crunching numbers under the SETI project for years. Friend of mine told me about Folding and it's efforts towards COVID-19. I've switched over and devoted everything to this project, and am spreading the word to my friends to do the same.
There are a lot of former Seti@home donors here ... and some have been here a long time.
X-Wing

Post by X-Wing »

JamieF wrote:I have an AMD R9 380, is this too old to be used for folding?
Nope! You should be good to go, as it looks like it supports double precision calculations. Note that this is just a result from a quick Bing search, I'm also not affiliated with FAH so don't quote me on this, I'm just a contributor. But, from what I have seen on the Forums, as long as someone has folded with that specific model of card, you should be fine. If not, some of the more knowledgeable people will have to help you out.
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
JamieF

Post by JamieF »

X-Wing wrote:
JamieF wrote:I have an AMD R9 380, is this too old to be used for folding?
Nope! You should be good to go, as it looks like it supports double precision calculations. Note that this is just a result from a quick Bing search, I'm also not affiliated with FAH so don't quote me on this, I'm just a contributor. But, from what I have seen on the Forums, as long as someone has folded with that specific model of card, you should be fine. If not, some of the more knowledgeable people will have to help you out.

Yes, just as I submitted that I heard my poor old GPU fans squeel into action xD

Its doing project 11737, which when I looked it up just says its a benchmark project... not COVID related at all
JamieF

Post by JamieF »

By the way, I'm here because ThioJoe just uploaded a video on this, so over the next few hours you will probably get inundated