F@H websites need some TLC!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

superkinetix

F@H websites need some TLC!

Post by superkinetix »

Hi all,

Is this project still trying to gain participants? From the state of things yesterday evening and today, it appears there's broken web properties that make the project look iffy or shoddy.

First, there was the issue with downloads as reported in another post - as this is my first post to the forum I can't post the link - when having easy accessibility to the client is so important when you've started with press announcements and calls for help, how can you have overcomplicated and broken download links?

Where's the straight text links or FTP site or whichever that just provides immediate and direct access to the clients, rather than relying on JS that a person may even have disabled?

This was not the only issue for the downloads yesterday, though - the download server's Nginx was also stalled, producing gateway timeouts and/or gateway errors along the way. It was like things were overloaded.

Next up, statistics are totally broken. Yay, we can download the raw data, but go to any of the stats links, and we get a Bad Gateway error on the page. That's a totally broken web property. Doesn't look good at all, and there's no information posted anywhere that the project is even *aware* that this issue exists.

Last, registering for an account on the forums has a broken component. There's supposed to be some little graphics captcha or something in the bottom of the registration form - but the question was something like "What is this?" and then, rather than the graphic it was supposed to show, just the text for the image link was there. Or is that part of the process? If one is a geek enough to know to copy & paste the text link in a new tab to see what it is will we grant them the ability to create an account?

Tough to concentrate on getting the client going with all these other issues around, and with all this breakage showing a lack of monitoring & maintenance, it makes me a little wary of what's going on around here.

Who's paying attention to the quality control so someone can enjoy participating in the project?
jdelisle

Re: F@H websites need some TLC!

Post by jdelisle »

I share your concerns.

I’m trying to help the project to engage enterprise IT and cloud service providers, and I can’t find any information about who’s running this project or who I could connect to contacts I have at CSPs.

Im guessing the team doesn’t understand that they’re not offering this in a format palatable to enterprise and cloud environments, but there’s no one to contact to offer my help to.

Their rationale for not operating this as an open source project is questionable at best and further reduces my confidence in this project and the team operating it.

I’m seeking to connect this project’s leadership with IT leaders who have access to significant resources, and I can’t find anyone to even approach with this. I’m stuck posting here on the forums and I’m getting nowhere.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

jdelisle wrote: I’m trying to help the project to engage enterprise IT and cloud service providers, and I can’t find any information about who’s running this project or who I could connect to contacts I have at CSPs.
The director of FAH is Professor Greg Bowman.
So if you plan something on a large scale and not @home then maybe contact him.
https://biochem.wustl.edu/faculty/bowman
jdelisle

Post by jdelisle »

foldy wrote:
jdelisle wrote: I’m trying to help the project to engage enterprise IT and cloud service providers, and I can’t find any information about who’s running this project or who I could connect to contacts I have at CSPs.
The director of FAH is Professor Greg Bowman.
So if you plan something on a large scale and not @home then maybe contact him.
https://biochem.wustl.edu/faculty/bowman
Thanks! I'd been trying to contact Anton Thynel and have had no luck. I'll try Greg.
superkinetix

Post by superkinetix »

Good luck with it, I truly hope it pans out.

I am still a little concerned with things like the lack of messaging from the team. I see there's a few people around here trying to address certain things from certain people, but on the whole, the (lack of) messaging to everyone is pretty odd.
jdelisle

Post by jdelisle »

superkinetix wrote:I see there's a few people around here trying to address certain things from certain people, but on the whole, the (lack of) messaging to everyone is pretty odd.
I’m getting close to not bothering with FAH and shifting to Rosetta, even though it doesn’t have GPU support.
Anton Thynell
Pande Group Member

Post by Anton Thynell »

Hai,
I've been away on vacation for about a month =)
I agree the site does need more TLC, both backend and UX.
We are looking over the entire UX in collaboration with Ubisoft. I wish the process was faster but it is not. Server side we are working on two different solutions atm.
I don't have a date at this point and we rather not give dates. But I'll be sure to post some slides on the blog after the next meeting with Ubisoft (thursday next week).

If you want to help out with the development of the project do connect with us.
Think about how much time you can donate on a monthly basis and what you would like to do + experience.
If your company wants to join the effort your welcome to write a short brief.
codecaine

Post by codecaine »

Hi Anton,
If you want to help out with the development of the project do connect with us.
Think about how much time you can donate on a monthly basis and what you would like to do + experience.
What is the best way to make this connection? A specific email to go to or should send an email to Greg?