Please help me get Microsoft bring folding to the Xbox 360!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

superich

Please help me get Microsoft bring folding to the Xbox 360!

Post by superich »

Dear Folding at Home Users,

I have started a petition at Microsoft's Xbox.com web site for bringing the good folding software to the XBOX 360.This would bring so, much help help to the folding community.Why it is not done I have not I idea. I have started a petition at http://forums.xbox.com/17372801/ShowPost.aspx#17372801 Please post and kindly ask and explain why folding is and it's benefits and why we need it so bad on all those couple of million xboxes. That all one would have to do is leave them on over night. Thanks very Much in advance,

Sincerely,
Richard Walston
sneakers55

Re: Please help me get Microsoft bring folding to the Xbox 360!

Post by sneakers55 »

superich wrote:Dear Folding at Home Users,

I have started a petition at Microsoft's Xbox.com web site for bringing the good folding software to the XBOX 360.This would bring so, much help help to the folding community.Why it is not done I have not I idea. Please post and kindly ask and explain why folding is and it's benefits and why we need it so bad on all those couple of million xboxes. That all one would have to do is leave them on over night.
Leave an XBOX 360 on 24x7 and it will cook itself, unlike a PS3.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
Jmarks
Hardware configuration: A) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 2gig ocz PC6400 memory, 1 80gig hard drive sata II, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
B) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 4gig Adata PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
C) Intel P35 mother board, 4 gig g gyles PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel E66000 CPU. Win XP running SMP.

Post by Jmarks »

Maybe you should include a request to program it to 80% so it will not be in danger of over heating.
superich

Post by superich »

sneakers55 wrote:
superich wrote:Dear Folding at Home Users,

I have started a petition at Microsoft's Xbox.com web site for bringing the good folding software to the XBOX 360.This would bring so, much help help to the folding community.Why it is not done I have not I idea. Please post and kindly ask and explain why folding is and it's benefits and why we need it so bad on all those couple of million xboxes. That all one would have to do is leave them on over night.
Leave an XBOX 360 on 24x7 and it will cook itself, unlike a PS3.
I was not aware it was that bad. I am an avid mac user as well too. I am so happy to see all these games coming out for macintosh.
superich

Post by superich »

JUST LIKE MICROSOFT GUYS! You have to love it!
(Xbox Forums) Post Deleted: Petition to Get your Idle Xbox 360s to make a Difference like SONY is already doing!
Inbox X
from Xbox Forums - Automated Email <donotreply@microsoft.com>
to rwalston@gmail.com,
date 19 Dec 2007 01:47:12 +0000
subject (Xbox Forums) Post Deleted: Petition to Get your Idle Xbox 360s to make a Difference like SONY is already doing!
hide details 8:47 PM (4 hours ago)

Your post was deleted by a moderator.

Subject: Petition to Get your Idle Xbox 360s to make a Difference like SONY is already doing!

Reason: No petitions allowed.

Thanks,
Xbox Forums team
My post was deleted for trying to bring xbox 360's for the folding at home community. Thank you Microsoft!

Sincerely,
Richard Walston
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Hum sweet :?

Maybe you could try to open it as a discussion or a poll, not as a petition ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

. . . or you could just ask Microsoft to follow the example set by Sony and become a better citizen in the game-box community.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

A similar discussion in the old forum came to the conclusion that the CPU wouldn't fold very fast, so is not an optimal target for development. The GPU in the XBox probably would be a good folder, but with the next generation of ATI board just released and GPU client for it soon to be released, and MS unwilling to open up an SDK at the hardware level required to make a client, this will likely never happen. Sorry.

Doesn't hurt to keep asking MS though... ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
slam159

Post by slam159 »

but honestly, the 360 would after 24 hours start acting as a barbeque XD
Upside, cook your poultry,
Downside, no 360 :(
Get a PS3, Bill Gates is too obsessed with his money to be caring about F@F.

PS3 FTW :D :D :D
(1)PS3 Running (Nearly)24/7 (60GB)
(1)Laptop Running(Nearly)24/7 (40GB, 512mb Ram, Wireless :D)
socceronly

Post by socceronly »

slam159 wrote:but honestly, the 360 would after 24 hours start acting as a barbeque XD
Upside, cook your poultry,
Downside, no 360 :(
Get a PS3, Bill Gates is too obsessed with his money to be caring about F@F.

PS3 FTW :D :D :D
I try to use Open Source software so I am not a MS fanboy, but I really don't think that is fair characterization of Big Bill.

He has given millions of dollars to the Rosetta@home project and much more to other research projects.
sneakers55

Post by sneakers55 »

slam159 wrote:Get a PS3, Bill Gates is too obsessed with his money to be caring about F@F.
Bill spent the first fifty years of his life making a fortune, now he's going to spend the last thirty of his life giving it away. He was in the right place at the right time, although he had the best early BASIC implementation. The three Gates kids are only getting a hundred million each, and I'd suspect that's only after they get to be an age where they won't blow it in youthful indiscretions.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
stoffer

XBOX360 not eligible for FAH?

Post by stoffer »

Hey there,

I love running F@H on my PS3 and my computers, I would however also love to get my XBOX360 to simulate some folding. What are the reasons we dont have this client yet?

Welcome to the forum. I merged your topic with one that already existed about the xBox. -7im
Karamiekos

Re: XBOX360 not eligible for FAH?

Post by Karamiekos »

Well I know the gpu would have been able to fold under the old GPU1 client, but it has since been done away with.

Now Xenon prolly would have some horsepower, but then there are heat issues to deal with..... I would be surprised if MS ever came out with one.
Zakk Wylde, "Then you start firing back some cocktails."
Rigs
Phenom II 965 With 2 4850s Running BOINC
Quad 8356s Running BOINC
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

The Xbox 360 has issues when running at full throttle for long periods of time where it overheats (I have one and I have had the 3 red lights of death). As such Microsoft are unlikely to sanction a program which uses more of its power than many games, which will cause even more heat to build up inside the case.

The PS3 has a client because Sony have designed an adequate cooling system that can cope with it being run at pretty much full power for extremely long periods of time (people have run them 24/7/365 since the client launched, only shutting down and restarting to update the software, with few issues. The number of PS3s with heat-related issues reported is a tiny number compared to the number of Xboxes suffering general hardware failure just from gaming). The Xbox 360 cannot do this reliably so a client has not been released.
Last edited by John Naylor on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

Also, the processing power is very weak in the Xbox so folding would be painfully slow (both at killing and speed).