Suggestions for console client - trigger actions externally

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

wysiwyg_bill

Suggestions for console client - trigger actions externally

Post by wysiwyg_bill »

I'd like to see the console clients changed so that there is some way to affect the current running client's state.

I'm using the SMP beta console clients on a couple of quad core PCs and the regular console client on a couple more. I have had sessions fail after I exit with control-c but that seems to be the only way. I also want to either pause or have the folding stop after the current work unit completes.

Having additional command line arguments that affect the currently running client would be ideal. I'd like to see options retroactively change the oneunit, verbosity, and pause settings of the already running session while that session is still running. I'd also like a "quit" option added. If the updated option was implemented at the next checkpoint that'd be fine.

One way to do this would be to have pending instructions placed in a file that is read at each checkpoint. A harder to program but more elegent method might be implementing a remote procedure call, remoting, etc. With IPC/RPC it might be necessary to store the process id of the client running from the current directory if there isn't already some other reliable way to find it.

At least I'd like to have an alternative to control-c that could also be used in a script or batch file. For linux users it could be added to the shutdown init scripts, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth. :egeek:
gwildperson

Re: Suggestions for console client - trigger actions externally

Post by gwildperson »

If your console client is replaced by a systray client, there will be a context menu that allows changes on-the-fly. We'll have to see what happens as more options are added to V6 clients.

I'd like to see an option to open a Console window added to the systray client in addition to the much-anticipated GUI window. The current option to display fahlog takes too may clicks, and it doesn't update like the Linux 'tail' function would.
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

gwildperson wrote:If your console client is replaced by a systray client, there will be a context menu that allows changes on-the-fly. We'll have to see what happens as more options are added to V6 clients.

I'd like to see an option to open a Console window added to the systray client in addition to the much-anticipated GUI window. The current option to display fahlog takes too may clicks, and it doesn't update like the Linux 'tail' function would.
Yes, two clicks.
It would be very nice if the log would update on there real-time.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

SolidSteel144 wrote:
gwildperson wrote:If your console client is replaced by a systray client, there will be a context menu that allows changes on-the-fly. We'll have to see what happens as more options are added to V6 clients.

Yes, two clicks.
It would be very nice if the log would update on there real-time.
No, it's two clicks PLUS scroll to the end.
wysiwyg_bill

Post by wysiwyg_bill »

I use FahMon and if you show the fahlog it always shows the end of the file when you select a client. I have multiple clients of course but it did make viewing the logs much simpler as well.
bruce

Post by bruce »

wysiwyg_bill wrote:I use FahMon and if you show the fahlog it always shows the end of the file when you select a client. I have multiple clients of course but it did make viewing the logs much simpler as well.
Personal observation:
When some (unnamed) software companies see a good feature that they didn't invent, they can either buy the company or steal the idea. The Pande Group does (sort of) the opposite. If they see a good feature that they didn't incorporate into their client, they'll generally improve some other features first before worrying about improving features that are already well covered by the 3rd party tools.