Number of active folders going down?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CBT
Hardware configuration: Computer 1:
CPU: Intel Q6600@2,4GHz
RAM: 8GB
Video: EVGA GTX550Ti SC (NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti GPU - 1GB GDDR5)
(OC: GPU@981MHz / Shaders@1962 / Memory@4514)
PSU: OCZ StealthXtream 600 Watt
Client 7.4.4

Computer 2:
CPU: AMD AthlonII X4 635 @2.9GHz
RAM: 4GB
Client 7.4.4, configured as a service

Computer 3:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX980 @1.518GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Client 7.4.4

Computer 4:
CPU: Intel Core i5 M560 @2,67GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Client: Win-SMP2

Computer 5:
CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 @3.8GHz
RAM: 8GB
Client 7.4.4 configured as a service

Number of active folders going down?

Post by CBT »

Did anyone notice that over the last few weeks/months the total number of active folders (as shown on http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog#) has been dropping by ~1-2K / day? End of last year we were some 250K, today it has dropped below 190K.
That doesn't quite match with the idea to 'reach 1,000,000'.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Number of active folders going down?

Post by PantherX »

I did notice it but what I would like so see is how the Petaflops are being effected; is it decreasing, increasing, constant. You can read some of the discussion about the decline in active folders here (viewtopic.php?p=256480#p256480).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

VijayPande wrote:
7im wrote:...Could be people don't like V7. Could be the crappy economy. Could be everyone is moving to mobile devices. Could be an alien invasion. Could be new GPU fahcores. Could be an AMD stats glitch. Could be the increasing cost of electricity. Could be Global warming, so they turned off their FAH heaters...
Regarding the client count: we have had a large company donating computer time anonymously and that donation time naturally ran its course (they don't care about BA, etc). That covers about ~30,000 CPUs or so. It's unfortunate timing that that ended around the new year, coincidentally with some of the rough server backend issues we had and the BA discussion.

I am hoping that this group will let us publicly acknowledge their contribution soon as what they've done (and the work we've been able to do on those machines) has been pretty exciting for us.
A full explanation is impossible to determine, although there are a lot of pet theories floated here.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

PantherX wrote:I did notice it but what I would like so see is how the Petaflops are being effected; is it decreasing, increasing, constant.
Within the same type, FLOPS = constant * #active_clients, meaning if where's a 50% drop in example Windows-computers, where's also a 50% drop in Windows-FLOPS.

This means, that appart from the adjustment done 26.02.2013, the reported FLOPS doesn't tell anything about users switching from older computers to faster computers, or slower GPU's to faster GPU's, since as far as Folding@Home's stats-page is concerned, it's no difference between an old Ati-HD5450 and a new Amd-9R-290X, even the latter probably is doing 50x - 100x more work/day. :roll:

Doing a little calculation, to produce one TFLOPS you need:
370 Mac-clients*
320 Linux-clients*
229.8 windows-clients
7.0 Amd-clients
5.3 Nvidia-clients
2.95 Fermi-clients

It's interesting how a single-core Windows-computer has no problem outcrunching a 16+ core BigAdv-Linux-computer... :lol:

*: Due to TFLOPS not including any decimals and Mac and Linux having so few computers, there's large variations in the calculated #clients/TFLOPS for these two platforms from day to day, but would expect it's within +- 20 clients/TFLOPS.
MaddMutt
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte MA-790FXT(a) UD5
AMD P-II X6 1100t @3.7
2x Sapphire HD-6950 2Gb Toxic Edition Unlocked to 1536 Shaders
12Gb DDR-3 1600 Corsair
Seagate 500Gb Hard Drive

Post by MaddMutt »

I would say that the number going down, is in response to the BA debate. I have a AMD 4p - 24 core @2.8 Socket F Server. I spent over $1200 to be able to fold BA and get 275K - 305K for ~20+ hours of Work (I was diagnosed with Leukemia in Aug 2012). I was going to add a 2nd server AMD 2p - 32 core @2.4 G34 server BUT not now. When my 4p does a SMP unit and I end up with 45K ~ 70K for 20 hours of work. It's cheaper to leave it turned off as the PPD to Watts RATIO SUCKS. Think About it. Companies that buy Servers/Clusters look at TOTAL WORK DONE = HOW MUCH ENERGY IT COST TO DO THAT WORK!!!!!!

SCREAMING

We have to wait 5 hours, Were not going to last 5 seconds. If you didn't notice, We just got our asses kicked.
Game over.....MAN
Game.......over

From the Movie Alien

Thank You For Your Time

MaddMutt
KOREAN WAR: When asked why Major General Oliver P. Smith's 1st Marine Division was retreating after being surrounded by 10 Chinese Division's

HE REPLIED: "Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

I've shut down four old dual-core machines and replace them with one GPU. Higher PPD and fewer things to track, so the number of machines I'm running is going down.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

I think many others are doing what codysluder is doing as well. The FLOPs is looking very high even though the # of CPUs is going down.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
kiore

Post by kiore »

Personally I have reduced the number of clients I have running, but increased my output.. shut down 2 old or low powered laptop/netbook/uniprocessor and running gpu and 6 core smp. When I started the project many years ago I built a 4x gpu (gt 9800) and 4core Phenom 920 rig, this was really pumping at almost 20kppd putting me in the 'most powerful folders' category. Now my GTX 780ti does more than 10 times that by itself.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: https://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?t=616
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

I'm wondering if the metric of the total # of CPUs is a poor one to put on our main page. It's the wrong incentive -- we want the flops up not the total # of CPUs. When donors like kiore and codysluder upgrade FLOPs (even if their CPU count goes down) that should be seen as a positive change for FAH, but now it's seen as a negative (if we highlight CPU count).
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

VijayPande wrote:I'm wondering if the metric of the total # of CPUs is a poor one to put on our main page. It's the wrong incentive -- we want the flops up not the total # of CPUs. When donors like kiore and codysluder upgrade FLOPs (even if their CPU count goes down) that should be seen as a positive change for FAH, but now it's seen as a negative (if we highlight CPU count).
As long as FLOPS = constant * CPU-count as is the case at the moment, the only way to increase FLOPS is by increasing #CPU's (or #GPU's).

It also means where's currently no difference between a single-core CPU and a 32-core CPU as far as the FAH-FLOPS-count is concerned, as long as both CPU's is running the same OS.

As for only highligting FLOPS on the front-page, this is of course an option, but I'm not sure if it's the best metric if FAH isn't planning to become a NVIDIA-only project.
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

That could be true as far as total computational power goes but is not the goal to have more active members doing said work, does flops accurately measure active donors. It would seem to me it does not perhaps you could provide both active members and total flops. Seems to me more active members = more flops.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

What he said.

FLOPS increases over time, simply has a function of hardware upgrades. Even if the client count was constant, the FLOPs would keep going up.

With every client being a multi-cored system these days, client count is a good start, but active cores needs to be included, even if half that number is hyperthreads. It also doesn't account for the number of cores that GPUs bring to bear on the topic. How do you represent the difference between a low end GPU with 200 shaders, and the high end with 2000 shaders?

As always, no simple answer covers it.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
troy8d

Post by troy8d »

I believe that total # of CPUs still conveys relevant information. On the surface, # CPUs also allows us to make some approximations such as the average computing power of each OS/hardware class. Its interesting to know information on donor statistics and computing power.

Using the example of codysluder, turning off 4 dual core machines in favor of one GPU may increase the total number of FLOPs but it is a smaller donation of resources in terms of electricity, effort and total hardware. While this may or may not be occurring on a larger scale I think that its hard to draw any meaningful conclusions based on one piece of anecdotal evidence. Does PG have any additional data on users/clients clients that can be analyzed to tease some more concrete evidence regarding CPUs vs FLOPs?

In reality, # CPUs is only an issue at the moment because it is going down. I don't think providing less information is the answer, especially in the current folding environment. How the information is presented can have a large impact on how users perceive it. Perhaps change the display to emphasize FLOPs rather than eliminating the number of CPUs would achieve the intended result without losing additional information.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Thanks. We wouldn't remove the CPU count on the osstats page. Just switch to FLOPs on the main folding.stanford.edu. The osstats page would be unchanged and no info would be lost. However, I think the current setup is giving a misimpression in terms of how FAH is doing.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University
troy8d

Post by troy8d »

In the case of displaying a single number, FLOPs most likely provides a better summary that # CPUs.