Change in BA requirements

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mdk777

Re: Change in BA requirements

Post by mdk777 »

OK, one last example:

Did the end of ps3 increase the participation in smp?
You could argue that "re-balancing" donors away from the ps3 (not the decision of PG I know) should have caused donors to move to a different class of donation.
You have to assume that most people who own a ps3 also have a home computer.
When faced with the choice of either continuing to participate by moving to a different class, or merely quitting; what did donors do?

Without looking at the chart, I only remember a decrease in TFLOPS, and not any significant transition over to smp.

So my prediction:

Yes, the change in BA requirements will obtain the intended goal of reducing the % of BA machines compared to the total.
It will not however, have any benefit in increasing the total. :ewink:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Switching from PS3 to a completely different piece of hardware is so much different than simply changing a client switch on the exact same computer already running the exact same software. IMO, not a good comparison because of this.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Now, moving on from the logic and intended consequences of the announcement.

Why do I think this attention to detail, this internal logic and consistency is so important?
Am I just crazy to want things to make sense in what is after-all just a point system in a DC project?
Why don't I just say "well it doesn't make any sense, but what does this .08% of TFLOPS matter anyway?"

So say PG responds in some way...makes another announcement...but doesn't agree that it needs to change the way it deals with donors in the future...what has changed?
You just perk along for another couple of years, until they loose focus on some detail(like we all do) and have to post another CYA announcement that no one had foreseen coming(although they make it a practice of warning donors to expect the unexpected), because there was still no mechanism to follow, or track the process. :oops:

Given that over 90% of the donation TFLOPS is coming from GPU, you can't blame PG their prioritization. But, if it can happen to BA, it can and will happen to GPU. :lol:

CUDA 6 is out. What is the status of openMM 5.2?(PG should certainly have granularity on this issue since they participate and direct the development) Yet the official policy remains to not comment on development work.
What is the status of CUDA JIT compiler?

I expect that any day now they will announce a cuda JIT compiler and ppd will double for NVIDIA cards.
given that nearly all AMD cards have left to go litecoin mine, the timing wouldn't be bad at all...

But it sure would have been nice to have more information if you had been interested in buying an AMD card before now. :wink:

Hence, the reasons that clear communication, and track-ability, and internal logic were/are important to BA; these are the same reasons and factors that will make donors happy/unhappy in participating in GPU.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

mdk777 wrote:...snip

What is the status of CUDA JIT compiler?
Wrong Forum. Ask Nvidia. This is not an answer that PG can give you. No amount of transparency will help get you that answer from PG.
mdk777 wrote:...I expect that any day now they will announce a cuda JIT compiler and ppd will double for NVIDIA cards...

But it sure would have been nice to have more information if you had been interested in buying an AMD card before now. :wink:
Before now? As in "just now" in the same time frame as this thread?

JIT doubling performance was posted in the news blog AND in the forum SIX months ago.
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/welcom ... core-17-2/
viewtopic.php?p=244828#p244828

Transparent as glass to me. :wink:
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Transparent as glass to me. :wink:
just as the %1 to 5% standard has been for the last 3 years. :lol:
Before now? As in "just now" in the same time frame as this thread?
No, over the course of the last year.
but you knew that is what I meant.

look, if they want to continue in the same manner as they have in the past, that is certainly their prerogative.

And when I start posting again in two years, and note that participation has again been halved...I am sure you will be able to find extenuating circumstances to explain it.

Good LUCK all and best wishes for 2014. :mrgreen:
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

7im wrote: RD, Average core count drops the last few months as people transition from core 15 and 16 which don't need a dedicated core to core 17 which does need a dedicated core. I can't prove that, but seems plausible.
That doesn't explain the vast majority of client or core loss.

The project's recent high point over the summer looks like this: it went from 130k CPUs/256k cores on March 5, when core 17 was released, to a high of 315k CPUs on June 21, a high of 535k cores on July 13, and a cores/CPU high of 2.008 on August 6. We're talking double the cores and more than doubling the number of active CPUs. The number of core 17-capable GPUs (AMD + Nvidia Fermi) during this time actually dropped from 20k on June 21 to 16k on August 6. Core 17 GPUs did experience a surge in the next couple of months, hitting a high of 24k total on October 4. The number of Windows CPUs+cores was off a bit from the summer height, in the range of 250k CPUs and 480k cores. I realize these are somewhat lagging indicators, but that CPU surge was in large part during the summer, as new clients show up in the stats immediately.

Since then, the project has lost around 90k clients and around 190k cores. In that time, the number of core 17-capable GPUs fell to a low of 15.5k on December 11, though it has surged back up to over 20k in the last week or so. Now, some of these GPUs may have been getting core 17 WUs for the first time when core 17 was moved to full FAH on November 7, and thus leading people to remove a core, but it's nowhere near enough to explain such a massive loss of CPU power. Even if you assumed that every single one of those GPUs had just dropped a core (ignoring that many had already done that in the past several months), that's only around 20k cores, barely over 10% of the total number of cores lost.

On thing that might have contributed to the drop in Windows machines is the ending of core 78. I don't know how many set-and-forget machines there were out there running 6.23 or older that couldn't get any more uniprocessor work. These would have stopped showing up in the stats starting October 15 (if they turned in work right after the servers were taken down on August 26). There was a loss of around 50k machines and 95k cores between October 15 and December 15; how much of this was uniprocessor-related and how much was donor dissatisfaction is kind of hard to say from our end. 95k sounds like a lot, but maybe PG has data to support that idea. This also doesn't seem to account for the other 100k cores lost since mid-December to the present, as I'd think by 60 days after core 78 machines first stopped appearing in the stats, pretty much all the uniprocessor-only clients would have been passed out of the active client count.

There must be others like me who have given up SMP folding because the GPU points are just so much better. When I got my first 780, I still kept my 3770k going, but once I added a second one, the 15-20k PPD it was producing was peanuts compared to the 170-180k for each GPU (not even factoring in my 4P bigadv box at 900k). I know I'm well above normal, but I've seen some new people being advised to skip SMP folding if they have a powerful card or two, and some must have reached that conclusion on their own.
7im

Post by 7im »

Zagen30 wrote:
7im wrote: RD, Average core count drops the last few months as people transition from core 15 and 16 which don't need a dedicated core to core 17 which does need a dedicated core. I can't prove that, but seems plausible.
That doesn't explain the vast majority of client or core loss.
You are correct. But clearly, I was not addressing you with that statement, nor was I adressing the question about the large drop in the number of active clients.
Zagen30 wrote:The project's recent high point over the summer looks like this: it went from 130k CPUs/256k cores on March 5, when core 17 was released, to a high of 315k CPUs on June 21, a high of 535k cores on July 13, and a cores/CPU high of 2.008 on August 6. We're talking double the cores and more than doubling the number of active CPUs. The number of core 17-capable GPUs (AMD + Nvidia Fermi) during this time actually dropped from 20k on June 21 to 16k on August 6. Core 17 GPUs did experience a surge in the next couple of months, hitting a high of 24k total on October 4. The number of Windows CPUs+cores was off a bit from the summer height, in the range of 250k CPUs and 480k cores. I realize these are somewhat lagging indicators, but that surge was in large part during the summer, as new clients show up in the stats immediately.

Since then, the project has lost around 90k clients and around 190k cores. In that time, the number of core 17-capable GPUs fell to a low of 15.5k on December 11, though it has surged back up to over 20k in the last week or so. Now, some of these GPUs may have been getting core 17 WUs for the first time when core 17 was moved to full FAH on November 7, and thus leading people to remove a core, but it's nowhere near enough to explain such a massive loss of CPU power. Even if you assumed that every single one of those GPUs had just dropped a core (ignoring that many had already done that in the past several months), that's only around 20k cores, barely over 10% of the total number of cores lost.

On[e] thing that might have contributed to the drop in Windows machines is the ending of core 78. I don't know how many set-and-forget machines there were out there running 6.23 or older that couldn't get any more uniprocessor work. These would have stopped showing up in the stats starting October 15 (if they turned in work right after the servers were taken down on August 26). There was a loss of around 50k machines and 95k cores between October 15 and December 15; how much of this was uniprocessor-related and how much was donor dissatisfaction is kind of hard to say from our end. 95k sounds like a lot, but maybe PG has data to confirm it. This also doesn't seem to account for the other 100k cores lost since mid-December to the present, as I'd think by 60 days after core 78 machines first stopped appearing in the stats, pretty much all the uniprocessor-only clients would have been passed out of the active client count.

There must be others like me who have given up SMP folding because the GPU points are just so much better. When I got my first 780, I still kept my 3770k going, but once I added a second one, the 15-20k PPD it was producing was peanuts compared to the 170-180k for each GPU (not even factoring in my 4P bigadv box at 900k). I know I'm well above normal, but I've seen some new people being advised to skip SMP folding if they have a powerful card or two, and some must have reached that conclusion on their own.
Ah, finally, someone who can start to see a picture larger than the one just past his nose. ;)

I mentioned core_78 in this thread already. Please note that although they assigned the last core_78 WU at the end of August, you have to take in to account that core_78 projects have a typical deadline of 1-2 weeks that you would need to add to the 50 day tick on the client count. But some larger 78s have deadlines as long as 3 months. So there would be an initial drop that's large in the 7-9 weeks after the end of August, but there could have been some still folding as late as December 2013, and then dropped off, if there was a server still around to collect it after that long.

This is an example of what I mean by "bigger picture." ;)

Et al, anyone claiming to know why the client count dropped without a 4 page explanation of all the variables just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Could be people don't like V7. Could be the crappy economy. Could be everyone is moving to mobile devices. Could be an alien invasion. Could be GPUs. Could be an AMD stats glitch. Could be the increasing cost of electricity. Could be Global warming, so they turned off their FAH heaters. Could be Bitcoins. Could be all of that and MORE!

Correlation is not Causation. Do NOT assume that listing a client count drop and then pointing a finger at the need for more transparency has anything do with anything. It doesn't, and you can't prove it, so stop doing that it already. It just makes one look inept, if not worse.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying PG is perfect. Far from it!!! Lot's of room for improvement. But if you want something to improve, don't say the sky is falling as your justification for more transparency, or whatever. It's not a winning strategy in any game.

Instead, state your case in a more logical and less emotional manner, if possible. Ask for improvements, demands won't work. Leave out the absolutes, because they are guaranteed to be absolutely wrong. You're welcomed to say what the change will do for you, or what you will do as a result, and suggest what it might do for others, but don't assume to know that for everyone. You don't, and neither do I. And if you think that PG doesn't know the consequences of making a change that they've already made twice before, you would be wrong again. ;)

Fight the change, or embrace it, but do it smartly. Baseless complaints and ultimatums don't work.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Et al, anyone claiming to know why the client count dropped without a 4 page explanation of all the variables just doesn't have a leg to stand on.
You characterize my observations incorrectly.

I never claimed to "know absolutely" why participation goes up or down.
Point of fact, I disputed that changing one class would have a direct effect on another.
The announcement and Comments from Dr.Kasson and Dr.Pande are the ones that linked the two classes(BA and SMP).
I just went about disputing that linkage and causation.
I already agreed that there might well be a hundred other factors. The existence of these other factors only compounds my argument that culling BA machines will not (in any high probability) result in more donors running regular smp.

I have not made any ultimatums. I have made observation on the effectiveness of meeting the ultimate objective: getting more donors rather than culling existing ones.

Finally, I suspect the damage is already done. Donors effected have most likely already made up their minds to quit or stay.
Again my prediction (not ultimatum...) is that given the current course, most will quit.

My only question for the last few days was if anything was learned from the process?
You seem to think not. If PG agrees with you, then my opinion is that the process will not be altered.
And if the process is not altered, my prediction is that we will continue to see similar trends in donor participation rates. (not withstanding other factors that certainly might be involved) :wink:
7im

Post by 7im »

mdk777 wrote:...snip

My only question for the last few days was if anything was learned from the process?
You seem to think not...
How can you even suggest that, when I said this?!
7im wrote:I am not saying PG is perfect. Far from it!!! Lot's of room for improvement.
And many things just like that in earlier posts...

What I seem to think is that PG already knows more than you seem to give them credit. This is the third movie in this trilogy. ;) There is no appetizing way to serve a crap sandwich.
Viper97

Post by Viper97 »

Ah... but then again one doesn't need to gnosh a crap sandwich unless so inclined either. ;)
texinga

Post by texinga »

7im wrote: What I seem to think is that PG already knows more than you seem to give them credit.
Then how about allowing PG to speak for themselves? We've all heard from you many times and pretty well know your position on these issues. Now people want to hear direct from PG. Unless I've missed something, it is not your job to interpret and steer the points people are making here. They are wanting their ideas, opinions, concerns, etc made known to PG. Let PG say those things for themselves so that what PG has to say is not filtered by someone else (another donor).
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Personally, my folding 'behaviour' has been more dictated by industry trends than by BA or by 'damage resulting from PG'. Never mind a tiny, tiny fraction of the total donor count even touch these forums (even if they are small contributors individually).

I've gone from folding on multiple CPUs and a GPU to folding on a single machine. So that's at least 4 or 5 concurrent SMP clients (more like 8 with VMs back in the day) down to 1 and a GPU? That's attrition of one to two machines a year.

The main driver there is that I'm upgrading/replacing desktops and laptops a hell of a lot less frequently today. My usual upgrade cycle has stretched way out from a pretty standard three years to upwards of ten(!) for some applications, and when upgrading its going towards lower power, more portable and power efficient systems.

I still have a p4 desktop in operation because it's still basically 'good enough' (after CES there is huge discussions about this and the death of the PC going on) for the tasks required of it. But I certainly don't fold on it, because it's a dinosaur in FAH terms and an inefficient use of power and on only when it's in use.

I think a lot of the bias towards GPU is because there is more value (for fah and also in day-to-day use) in upgrading a GPU midcycle than in upgrading a CPU, because CPU upgrade is a much more expensive proposition (on Intel usually a motherboard etc as well). So my i7 920 is doing increasingly less science relative to the updated GPU. (And I'm moving from an i7 920 as a primary desktop to a Celeron based desktop so...)

Finally, power prices have sky rocketed here over the past ten years and idle efficiencies have improved drastically, both of which greatly increases the marginal cost of folding, leading to rationalisation.

I appreciate that this is a personal anecdote, but it hopefully contributes to the overall picture...
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

7im wrote:
Zagen30 wrote:On[e] thing that might have contributed to the drop in Windows machines is the ending of core 78. I don't know how many set-and-forget machines there were out there running 6.23 or older that couldn't get any more uniprocessor work. These would have stopped showing up in the stats starting October 15 (if they turned in work right after the servers were taken down on August 26). There was a loss of around 50k machines and 95k cores between October 15 and December 15; how much of this was uniprocessor-related and how much was donor dissatisfaction is kind of hard to say from our end. 95k sounds like a lot, but maybe PG has data to confirm it. This also doesn't seem to account for the other 100k cores lost since mid-December to the present, as I'd think by 60 days after core 78 machines first stopped appearing in the stats, pretty much all the uniprocessor-only clients would have been passed out of the active client count.
(snip)
Ah, finally, someone who can start to see a picture larger than the one just past his nose. ;)

I mentioned core_78 in this thread already. Please note that although they assigned the last core_78 WU at the end of August, you have to take in to account that core_78 projects have a typical deadline of 1-2 weeks that you would need to add to the 50 day tick on the client count. But some larger 78s have deadlines as long as 3 months. So there would be an initial drop that's large in the 7-9 weeks after the end of August, but there could have been some still folding as late as December 2013, and then dropped off, if there was a server still around to collect it after that long.

This is an example of what I mean by "bigger picture." ;)
WTF, did core_78 end 26. August, 3 days after the Blog-post talking about "If I had to guess, I'd say probably within a year or so they would be retired, maybe 2 years if the existing projects need additional data." :?

Now the core_78 being single-core being terminated can of course lead to fewer clients, either due to users shutting-down their old computer or due to upgrading and starting running SMP instead of possibly multiple single-core clients. But at the same time core/client have been decreasing, this is the opposite behaviour would expect from single-core-clients being shut-down or upgraded to SMP-clients. Also the drop is larger than every GPU-users starting to use an extra core can explain.
Et al, anyone claiming to know why the client count dropped without a 4 page explanation of all the variables just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Could be people don't like V7. Could be the crappy economy. Could be everyone is moving to mobile devices. Could be an alien invasion. Could be GPUs. Could be an AMD stats glitch. Could be the increasing cost of electricity. Could be Global warming, so they turned off their FAH heaters. Could be Bitcoins. Could be all of that and MORE!
I would have a very hard time explaining a client-count drop in 2013 for Windows, seeing based on the available statistics where was significantly more clients at 31. December 2013 compared to 1. January 2013... :lol:
You are both cherry picking data again, and not considering all possibilities.
Oh, did I miss the disclaimer, something along the lines of: "I've only taken the time to look on the platform responsible for roughly 90% of active clients, partially since this is the platform I'm running and is wherefore most interested in, and partially since was unluckily stuck at a Linux-computer at the time with it's many disadvantages and including statistics from other platforms would have been (moderated for inapropriate language)".
7im

Post by 7im »

Rattledagger, what user name are you folding under now?
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

7im wrote:anyone claiming to know why the client count dropped without a 4 page explanation of all the variables just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Could be people don't like V7. Could be the crappy economy. Could be everyone is moving to mobile devices. Could be an alien invasion. Could be GPUs. Could be an AMD stats glitch. Could be the increasing cost of electricity. Could be Global warming, so they turned off their FAH heaters.
Regarding the client count: we have had a large company donating computer time anonymously and that donation time naturally ran its course (they don't care about BA, etc). That covers about ~30,000 CPUs or so. It's unfortunate timing that that ended around the new year, coincidentally with some of the rough server backend issues we had and the BA discussion.

I am hoping that this group will let us publicly acknowledge their contribution soon as what they've done (and the work we've been able to do on those machines) has been pretty exciting for us.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University