Sleep issues with Windows 7

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Barry

Re: Sleep issues with Windows 7

Post by Barry »

Problem already solved with version 9.2.0.0. Version 12.8 may be stable with F@H but maybe not with the software suite I downloaded. I think I'll see exactly what's in that suite before I change anything.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Actually, I may have installed 12.8. That's the version of the software suite, not the driver that's included. I think it also includes AMD Multimedia Center™, HydraVision, HydraVision Basic Edition, and Remote Wonder™. I don't know what any of that is yet. F@H is working and no crashes.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Microsoft tests whether video drivers will support what Microsoft sends to the video hardware. They do not recommend driver updates for FAH or for games unless they happen to purchase the game software company (because then Microsoft software might be failing). NVidia or AMD will tell you there are new drivers because they are constantly enhancing them and they can sell new hardware whenever you buy a new game that makes better use of a GPU.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I guess new driver versions are optional updates that Windows Update doesn't automatically install even when it's configured to install important and recommended updates. I still have the latest driver and Windows Update supposedly ran at 3:00 am. I mean...it wouldn't have made sense for Windows Update to install the previous version, but that's what it did when I specifically asked it to install an updated driver so if my computer was configured to automatically install new drivers, I would have a problem.

Maybe the driver that comes with version 12.8 or later of the software suite should be considered a dependency and a F@H should give a warning during installation to those who have an older version.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

The suite is named after the driver...

Its up to you to make sure things are kept up to date/compatible.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mmonnin wrote:The suite is named after the driver...
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... Notes.aspx

"The AMD Catalyst software suite 12.8 contains the following: AMD display driver version 8.982"
Its up to you to make sure things are kept up to date/compatible.
That may be fine for Linux users but I'm a Windows user. No reason to make things hard on every user by failing to add a basic feature to the software, especially when the BSOD is involved.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

No one uses that number and thus why it was suggested to update. You said v9.2 earlier, which doesn't even exist if you're going by that number. The Cat 12.11 beta is only 9.0.1.8.

No, it's up to the user. Linux or windows.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I guess I installed a version later than 12.8 that has a 9.2 driver. I chose the latest non-beta release that was available yesterday.