Sleep issues with Windows 7

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Barry

Sleep issues with Windows 7

Post by Barry »

Does anyone doing folding on Windows 7 have a problem waking up their sleeping computer? I've been getting the BSOD when attempting to wake it up ever since Acer repaired it and I started FAH. I'm not sure what's causing it. Windows update doesn't say any drivers need updating. I'll probably try uninstalling FAH. For now I set my computer to sleep after an hour instead of 20 or 30 minutes and I try to use it before it gets a chance to sleep.
bruce

Re: Sleep issues with Windows 7

Post by bruce »

You're not likely to find an answer on this forum.

When running FAH, almost everybody sets sleep=Never so that it keeps folding.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Folding can definitely stress a machine so that if it isn't working correctly it can blue-screen but normally it would not be a wakeup issue because it normally takes time for heat to build up and that is where the stress comes from. Are you hibernating or sleeping or shutting down? Are you GPU folding or SMP folding or both?

I think stopping folding is a good starting diagnostic step to see if folding is even an issue here.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I was considering never putting it to sleep. I had to check whether it could run when the computer's sleeping (guess not). Then I got distracted by the crashes. I have to think about how well my computer is ventilated before I decide to keep it awake all the time. It's an Acer AX1470-UR11P which has a pretty cramped case. I was sleeping occasionally and shutting down at bedtime.
Are you GPU folding or SMP folding or both
I don't know.
P5-133XL

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

It might be useful for you to monitor temps in the system tray by using a 3rd party app like real temp.
Barry

Post by Barry »

In the advanced view I see that I'm both GPU and SMP folding. I'll try pausing GPU and testing sleep.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Stopping GPU worked! I'll have to test it a couple more times. Next time I'll let the computer put itself to sleep instead of going through the shut down menu, and I'll move the mouse to wake it up instead of pressing enter.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I tried sleep through the shut down menu again, this time with GPU running, and it woke up properly. Then I configured power options to put the computer to sleep after one minute and it crashed while waking up. So it's not simply a sleep issue. Manual sleep through Start Menu > Shut Down seems to work fine. :?
Last edited by Barry on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

I wonder if it's an issue with the graphics driver. Do you know what driver version you have installed?
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nope. I tried looking it up when I wanted to check for driver updates but I couldn't figure out how so I just relied on Windows Update, which didn't say anything about a new driver.
P5-133XL

Machine #2:

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

Go to the control panel and choose power options. You will have a plan. Click change plan settings then click on change advanced plan settings and you will get a box with all the settings that can be changed.

I would start out by clicking on the + in front of sleep. I think I would make sure that allow hybrid sleep is off. I would also make sure that the hibernate after setting was set to never. See if that helps
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Older NVidia Drivers had a bug where the driver would crash when monitor went in to power saver mode.

If you have an NV gpu, download and install the latest driver from the NV web site.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'll experiment more when I get a chance. Meanwhile I installed Core Temp. Real Temp just gave me a folder of stuff including two application files and I didn't know what to do. With the Core Temp I just had to deny extra stuff that came with the download manager and I got a working application. No temperature issues that I could see.
Barry

Post by Barry »

The GPU slot causes the crash when attempting to wake up my computer when it's sleeping due to a power management setting (after being idol for a certain period). It's a bug. My monitor's driver is up to date ("windows has determined that your driver software is up to date"). When GPU is folding, the client should check the power options and keep track of idol time and pause GPU just before the computer sleeps, unless there's a better way to fix this. Should I file a bug report somewhere?

...if this is the only way to submit a bug report, I'll leave it to someone else.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH does not manage idle time, nor does it manage anything else outside of itself. Windows does that. When Microsoft disables the GPU, FAH only knows that the work it was doing has crashed. The same is true if Remote Desktop substitutes the GPU drivers for the non-GPU based drivers used by RDT and the same lack of support prevents the GPU client from folding when FAH is running as a service.

Unless you know of some signal that we can convince Microsoft to use to notify FAH that it must Pause within x seconds because it's about to put the computer to sleep, FAH doesn't find out about it until it's too late.

Since the Power Savings code is supplied by Microsoft, by Linux, and by Mac-OS, they would be the ones to handle this enhancement request. Please contact them directly.