Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

F@h article on Wikipedia now a Featured Article

Post by Jesse_V »

It is my pleasure to announce that the Folding@home article on Wikipedia is now a Featured Article. This means that it is one of the most highest-quality encyclopedic articles Wikipedia offers, and more specifically that it meets Wikipedia's Featured Article criteria. Some of you may recall my post back in early April when the article was promoted to become a Good Article. Since then, it passed through a lengthy peer review and more recently an F.A. nomination where seven reviewers, including two experts, carefully examined every aspect of the article and after an extensive discussion eventually gave their support for promotion to Featured Article status. As a Featured Article, it is now a candidate for Wikipedia's Featured Article of the Day on the Main Page, which has always resulted in a large spike in visibility and traffic. However, it'll be competing with other Featured Articles for that appearance, and I'll post later when it gets close to appearing on some specific date.

While this essentially means that the article doesn't require any more serious work, I'd like to point out that it can still be updated. I usually update the FLOP numbers about once a month, the papers count will increase at irregular intervals, and when any major discoveries are reported by this project a summary can be added in. Little things like that, which anyone can easily do since the article can be modified by anyone.

There are many people who assisted me in some way with this article including on Wikipedia and both on this forum and off. I've named you before, you know who you are, and I'm grateful for your help. I'd particularly like to thank screen317 for leading the way with a crowdsourcing effort to create an overall F@h stats graph, two screenshots of which are included in the article for the world to see. J. Coffland used GIMP to create the main logo image and he also uploaded it to the article. Several PG scientists, including Drs. Bowman, Voelz, and Pande, clarified some technical issues and assisted me with image copyrights. TJ Lane in particular led the way with the development of some text that was eventually published as the Simulation FAQ, which I used to finally figured out what in the world adaptive sampling and Markov State Models actually are and how they are helpful to F@h.

As with all other articles on Wikipedia, the text is under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, which basically means that it can be shared or adapted at will, and all you have to do is attribute Wikipedia in some way. I'd recommend using this article in presentations or advertisements about Folding@home, as that's one of the reasons I wrote it. It's also an interesting subject. Although this was a more complex subject than I had originally anticipated, I've strived to make it understandable by the laymen, yet still giving enough information to satisfy an expert. In particular, it summarizes many of the technical publications, which is useful in case you're interested in understanding how this project actually works. I think nearly everyone can learn something from reading it.

I also want to share how impressed I've become with this project as a result of doing all the research for this article. Numerous publications, both from the PG and from others describe how its pioneering technologies, doing science, and making discoveries that would have been very impractical before. Folding@home is the world's most powerful distributed computing project, for a number of years it dramatically outperformed the world's fastest supercomputers, and it's really accelerating diseases research. It's hard to find a publication on protein folding that doesn't at least mention Folding@home, and Dr. Pande's work has over 11,000 citations from other publications, if that's any reflection on the impact this project has had. This is all due to the perseverance of thousands of people around the world in a massive team effort. And all the results are essentially open. Seriously, this is awesome. Keep this in mind.

Fold on!
Last edited by Jesse_V on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
kiore

Re: F@h article on Wikipedia now a Featured Article

Post by kiore »

Well done, I will be linking this on my team thread. :eugeek:
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: https://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?t=616
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

i will be linking to this in my team's forum. thanks for all your work jesse!
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Congrats and thanks for all the hard work
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Very good work!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Well done. Will be fun to track donor participation...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Thanks everyone! And 7im, yes I will be watching that as well. I'm watching the traffic to the article as well. I know at least one Wikipedian started folding as a result of the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =514581839

I added Folding@home to the request page for Today's Featured Article and I'll just have to see how that goes.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Wow, that was really fast. The article is now scheduled to appear on Wikipedia's Main Page on November 1st, 2012. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... er_1,_2012
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Time to put 7.2.9 on the download page before then.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:Time to put 7.2.9 on the download page before then.
My thoughts precisely. Personally, I think it's ready.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

outstanding jesse!
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

Fine work, Jesse_V, much appreciated.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Congrats man, let's hope this brings in lots of new folders!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

I just noticed that the Main Page gets about 8 million views per day. :!:
http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Main_Page
screen317

Post by screen317 »

Well done everyone who has contributed to this! I'm very happy to have been able to contribute!