Is it worth getting this cpu ?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

nogginthenog

Is it worth getting this cpu ?

Post by nogginthenog »

I have recently bought another mobo for folding, it has a 3.06 Pentium 4 with HT and 2MB L2 cache. Is it worth buying a Pentium D 2.8 with 4MB L2 ?

I will also be running an Nvidia Cuda card on it.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Is it worth getting this cpu ?

Post by 7im »

You ask worth but gave no dollar values?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
nogginthenog

Post by nogginthenog »

I already have the board and the P4 3.06, the D 2.8 is an ebay auction of a used item, with a fan/sink i also need. I want to know if the 2.8 will fold better, with 2 real cores and the bigger cache, compared to the P4 with HT
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, the PD will fold almost double the P4, relatively speaking. But if there is a choice between adding the PD, or buying a higher end GPU, then put the funds towards the better GPU.
nogginthenog

Post by nogginthenog »

Thanks. I already have a GPU to put on it.
ChasR

Post by ChasR »

Of more concern than the ppd increase with the new cpu is the power consumption to produce relatively little ppd. Running smp on the dual core. you might make 1000 ppd and burn 7.2Kwh doing so ($.86 here in Georgia). Relative to other machines, the dual core pentium D points per Kwh is very poor. It's certainly not worth the cost of upgrading or running it to me.
7im

Post by 7im »

If you can spend $10 and go from P4 to a PD, then it's a good buy to go from 110 PPD to 1100 PPD.

However, I wouldn't be running hardware this old unless it were relatively free.
csvanefalk

Post by csvanefalk »

This is very old hardware, so you would be much better off buying something newer - your PPD/watt efficiency should increase by at least an order of magnitude if you go for an i5 processor instead. Mobos for those are really cheap as well, and you can find some excellent deals on the CPUs themselves.
PinHead
Hardware configuration: Quad Q9550 2.83 contains the GPU 57xx - running SMP and GPU
Quad Q6700 2.66 running just SMP
2P 32core Interlagos SMP on linux

Post by PinHead »

Bottom line is yes. Bottom bottom line is the P4 Dual's put out a lot of heat. My P4 Dual 3.4 is idling because true quad core 2.83 puts out about half the heat. So to a previous point, even if it's free; can you stand the heat? The cost will not be the purchase, but the power bill and not just for running it but for the A.C..
nogginthenog

Post by nogginthenog »

Thanks for your input folks, the heat, noise and electric bill costs are indeed of concern. I have retired from folding service a couple of machines recently, and not bothered to fix a laptop that I was going to fold on.
nogginthenog

Post by nogginthenog »

OK , now I am considering another CPU, for a different mobo,
Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 6M Cache 3.00 GHz SLB9J

Is there a limit to how much benefit more L2 cache gives? I've noticed my other F@H clients don't use vast amounts of RAM, one P4 HT CPU is currently using about 46MB. I've tried upgrading memory speed as much as a mobo allows, but it didn't make much difference.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Memory speed, cache size, and HyperThreading are relatively unimportant. Yes, the make a small difference but things that matter most are the number of real Cores and their speed. Newer technology sometimes matters. (e.g.-The Core2 platform is better than the Pentium platform because it included a significant change in Floating Point performance that isn't obvous if you only look at MHz.)
DoctorsSon

Post by DoctorsSon »

A Pentium D at 2.8 will not make 1k ppd, I have 2 of them and it is closer to 800 IIRC.
I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.4Ghz it gets 1.5-2k ppd depending on WU's and how much web surfing I do..