SMP on Win7 or Linux?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

iceman1992

SMP on Win7 or Linux?

Post by iceman1992 »

I read from people's post sometime back that SMP produced more PPD on Linux, does this still apply now, and with the v7.1.52 client? I'm planning to run SMP on Ubuntu 12.04 if it does produce more PPD. Any thoughts on this?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: SMP on Win7 or Linux?

Post by 7im »

Linux currently produces slightly more PPD on most work unit projects, but the performance pendulum swings back and forth over time, so the answer today may not be the same as next week. Caveat Folder.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

So you're saying I should stick with Win7?
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

Yes, that is true. I am currently with VM + Ubuntu 11.04 and client V6.34. I get about 15% more PPD.
I guess the client version does not affect the% PPD.
I guess with v 7.1.52, you will receive the same percentage increase of PPD.

PS Linux faster than win (still)!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

iceman1992 wrote:So you're saying I should stick with Win7?

No, I'm saying that you have many options, and that there is no wrong answer. Stay with Win 7 if you want. Also allows you to run a GPU client if you want. Or stay with Win 7, and run FAH in a VM running Linux. Or dual boot, and run linux while the linux client nets more points, then switch back. Or skip the cost of Win 7, and run linux all the time.

A lot depends on what else you might use the computer to do. If pure folding, run linux. If also for personal use, run Windows. You decide. ;)
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

artoar_11 wrote: Yes, that is true. I am currently with VM + Ubuntu 11.04 and client V6.34. I get about 15% more PPD.
I guess the client version does not affect the% PPD.
I guess with v 7.1.52, you will receive the same percentage increase of PPD.

PS Linux faster than win (still)!
Ah I see. Okay then I think I'm gonna try it out. Thanks for the info :D
7im wrote:Or stay with Win 7, and run FAH in a VM running Linux. Or dual boot, and run linux while the linux client nets more points, then switch back.
If I run it in a VM, will it affect performance compared to a real non-VM installation?
7im wrote:A lot depends on what else you might use the computer to do. If pure folding, run linux. If also for personal use, run Windows. You decide.
It's also for personal use, but I don't mind using Ubuntu while I'm not gaming. :D
7im

Post by 7im »

Currently, the increased points running Linux in a VM more than makes up for the overhead of running a Linux VM in Windows. But yes, there is a small points hit for doing that. For some, being able to use Windows when they want is more than worth it. For those seeking max points, it is not worth it. ;)
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

7im wrote:For some, being able to use Windows when they want is more than worth it. For those seeking max points, it is not worth it. ;)
Okay that clears it up. I'll dual boot Linux then :) . If it makes more points, why not? :lol:

And anyway, it makes more points because it folds faster on Linux, right? So it's better for the project. :D

Thanks artoar_11 and 7im ! :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

iceman1992 wrote:
7im wrote:For some, being able to use Windows when they want is more than worth it. For those seeking max points, it is not worth it. ;)
Okay that clears it up. I'll dual boot Linux then :) . If it makes more points, why not? :lol:

And anyway, it makes more points because it folds faster on Linux, right? So it's better for the project. :D

Thanks artoar_11 and 7im ! :D
Everything comes with a cost. Every time you use dual-boot by switching OSs, you're going to lose points because the current WU will no longer be active, thereby reducing the Bonus. Obviously I don't know how frequently you'll switch OSs, but for most people, I'll bet the VM approach earns more points, overall. That way the current WU can keep processing. Either way, it's your choice.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

bruce wrote:Every time you use dual-boot by switching OSs, you're going to lose points because the current WU will no longer be active, thereby reducing the Bonus.
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean by the current WU will no longer be active? I plan to switch OSs only if the current WU has been finished. Is that what you mean?
bruce wrote:Obviously I don't know how frequently you'll switch OSs, but for most people, I'll bet the VM approach earns more points, overall. That way the current WU can keep processing. Either way, it's your choice.
Well I really only need Win7 when I'm gaming, and doing some college work and some programming. So I guess I'll spend more time on Linux. But I'll try using VM first, then compare the performance difference between VM and native. :D
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

My observations on identical Hardware:- dual L5640's, 12 gb ram, asus M/B. Windows machine max PPD 49,000 (daily driver with AV software etc), Ubuntu 10.10 machine with kraken (dedicated folder) max PPD 53k. Thats a lot less than 15% .
bruce

Post by bruce »

iceman1992 wrote:
bruce wrote:Every time you use dual-boot by switching OSs, you're going to lose points because the current WU will no longer be active, thereby reducing the Bonus.
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean by the current WU will no longer be active? I plan to switch OSs only if the current WU has been finished. Is that what you mean?
That's exactly what I mean. If you want to game, will you always be patient enough to wait for a WU to finish? If so, it'll only take a couple minutes to switch and then a couple minutes to switch back. If you're not willing to have FAH dictate when your next gaming session will start, you'll have to consider the possibly of starting gaming while FAH is still processing. There are ways to limit how much of the resources go to FAH and how much are allocated to the game, but it's a compromise that you may choose to exercize from time to time.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Nathan_P wrote:My observations on identical Hardware:- dual L5640's, 12 gb ram, asus M/B. Windows machine max PPD 49,000 (daily driver with AV software etc), Ubuntu 10.10 machine with kraken (dedicated folder) max PPD 53k. Thats a lot less than 15% .
Ah yes, that is less than 10%. Well, it's not a substantial increase :e?: But I'll give it a try anyway. I'm still curious to try it myself :)
Thanks for the info :D

bruce wrote:That's exactly what I mean. If you want to game, will you always be patient enough to wait for a WU to finish? If so, it'll only take a couple minutes to switch and then a couple minutes to switch back. If you're not willing to have FAH dictate when your next gaming session will start, you'll have to consider the possibly of starting gaming while FAH is still processing. There are ways to limit how much of the resources go to FAH and how much are allocated to the game, but it's a compromise that you may choose to exercize from time to time.
Yes I think I will be patient enough. Even on Windows I wait for WUs to finish first before gaming :D I understand the importance of returning WUs as fast as possible, so I try not to stop a running WU
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

And just to confirm, I can use the same passkey I'm currently using on Windows, on the Linux client right? That way I can get the QRB from the first WU?
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

Yes, regardless of operating system or Folding platform, regardless of how many Folding clients you run, your original, single passkey is valid. You should never change that.

If you plan on gaming, I wouldn't mess with dual booting Windows/Linux. Just run Folding in a VM and keep it going, even when gaming. I would imagine that most "pure" Linux Folding machines are dedicated Folding rigs, Folding exclusively or nearly so. That's the case with my Linux boxes.