Suggested Changes to F@h Website

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Suggested Changes to F@h Website

Post by 7im »

JonazzDJ wrote:Has the diseases page disappeared? I liked that page, it gives a short summary what the link with F@H and the particular disease is, and what advances have been made. COuld you consider bringing it back?

It's still on the front page, just not as a direct link. ;)

@ JonazzDJ and Jesse_V, in case you hadn't seen it yet, the Diseases Studied FAQ is linked in the Ready. window when you click on Why Does It Matter? The pop-up explanation includes a Diseases FAQ link. :idea:

But it's good to have on the Learn page as well. 8-)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Paper 39 ("Kinetic Computational Alanine Scanning: Application to p53 Oligomerization") lacks a link. I suggest http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3605016736 if that works for you.

Paper 44 ("Kinetic Definition of Protein Folding Transition State Ensembles and Reaction Coordinates") could link to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16617068

Paper 47 ("Predicting structure and dynamics of loosely-ordered protein complexes: influenza hemagglutinin fusion peptide") has the same issue. http://eproceedings.worldscinet.com/978 ... _0005.html is one possible link
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

39 and 47 links were for pay pages, but I found a local links for both. 44 was free, after going to the PubMed version.
zodac

Post by zodac »

Can we get the "Results" link added back to the main tab bar? It was much easier to see the impact of Folding@Home for newcomers with it there, rather than having to click on the "Learn" link, then pick it out of the list.

While it's more structured, I feel there's enough space on the graphic to add a link to a pretty important page.
7im

Post by 7im »

zodac wrote:Can we get the "Results" link added back to the main tab bar? It was much easier to see the impact of Folding@Home for newcomers with it there, rather than having to click on the "Learn" link, then pick it out of the list.

While it's more structured, I feel there's enough space on the graphic to add a link to a pretty important page.
Did you see this comment from Dr. Pande on the previous page? http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=211268#p211268
zodac

Post by zodac »

That the aim is to make it more streamlined and aesthetically pleasing? Yes I did.

I still think it's avery important link, and making it more accessable is worth "cluttering" up the homepage with one more tab.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

This was a tough call for us. I see zodac's point of view, but am curious what other people think, especially those who are recently new to the project and were looking for that info.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
7im

Post by 7im »

I was torn on that one too.

Bullet Point Count Rule would seem to apply for simple and easy to read with newcomers... no more than 3 or 4 points on any one topic.

I also like the "Why to Fold" grouping on the Learn page, as newcomers see the Diseases, Awards, and Results links next to each other. My feeling is that has more impact that just a solo "results" link on the front page. They aren't so much just picking one from a list, but they are seeing the whole list about why to fold, and they have more than one reason to fold, more that just results. But like Dr. Pande said, let's see what new donors say about it.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

The links at the top of the Awards page (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Awards) do not work as intended. Specifically, the links on the bar graph as well as the "Google news archive of Folding@home press stories" and "Pande Lab" link don't go to a Google News page on Folding@home/Pande Lab as they should.

Obviously I'm not a "newcomer" but I agree with 7im's points on the Results link. I see the advantage of a direct link, but I also feel that there's better organization if everything is together as 7im points out.

EDIT: Paper 39 lacks a link and is titled incorrectly IMO. It's current title is "A novel approach for computational alanine scanning: application to the p53 oligomerization domain" while the official title is "Kinetic computational alanine scanning: application to p53 oligomerization". Clearly its current name is a bit more impressive though. Two possible links are http://simons.hec.utah.edu/Anions2007/C ... lascan.pdf and http://www.mendeley.com/research/kineti ... erization/
MiTuS-2
Hardware configuration: Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Post by MiTuS-2 »

It's been a while i'm thinking about it, but why you don't insert a link to certificate the Overall score?
this could be satisfying for users like me that have contributed work units with more than one different team number.
i don't seed any reason to do not do it,
thanks
7im

Post by 7im »

Jesse_V wrote:
EDIT: Paper 39 lacks a link and is titled incorrectly IMO. It's current title is "A novel approach for computational alanine scanning: application to the p53 oligomerization domain" while the official title is "Kinetic computational alanine scanning: application to p53 oligomerization". Clearly its current name is a bit more impressive though. Two possible links are http://simons.hec.utah.edu/Anions2007/C ... lascan.pdf and http://www.mendeley.com/research/kineti ... erization/
No, the current title shown is: Kinetic Computational Alanine Scanning: Application to p53 Oligomerization

And it has a local PDF link (same as the first link you suggested) as noted above, as all the formal links still want money (like the second link you suggested).
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:
No, the current title shown is: Kinetic Computational Alanine Scanning: Application to p53 Oligomerization

And it has a local PDF link (same as the first link you suggested) as noted above, as all the formal links still want money (like the second link you suggested).
Sorry for the bit of derp there regarding the link, for some strange reason I didn't see it. But I feel both dumb and mystified regarding the title. You're quite right that its not there anymore, and I thought that I copy/pasted it from the website. It shows up in a Google Search and I've seen it elsewhere, so I didn't just make it up. It must have been changed by someone at some point, and perhaps I was still using the older residual title or something. Huh. Thank you for your time though.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

This paragraph on the High Performance FAQ (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-highperformance) seems out of date:
"We are very excited about these collaborations and hope the projects will be released in FAH soon (ideally 6-12 month timescale). However, we reserve the right to delay these projects if we feel that it's too early. Clearly, a buggy or inefficient "high performance client" would not help the FAH project."

Also, now that the V7 client is out, could we get rid of the screensaver information on the Main FAQ now, or is there a good reason to hang onto that?
RLHay
Hardware configuration: Intel i5 650, 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Post by RLHay »

VijayPande wrote:This was a tough call for us. I see zodac's point of view, but am curious what other people think, especially those who are recently new to the project and were looking for that info.
I've been folding for a few months now. I was critical of the old website. I found it very dense in both a visual sense and also the amount of info provided, but not intuitive to a new user who had stumbled into the whole deal with no guidance or background.

I think the new website is a major step forward from the point of new or potential new users. Those who have been folding for some time may be annoyed at the change, but as far as I can see all the relevant info is there, and at least as past users you will have some idea of what you are looking for!

The new website is a major step in the right direction, the trick now is to keep some impetus on upgrading the whole site (the deeper pages) and keeping the site live - small frequent updates.

Between v7, the updated Wiki, the new site and good science this is an exciting time for the project.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

I see that the banner at the top of every team page is now broken. The image does not display, though it still functions as a link. For example, see the Default Team: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... &teamnum=0 IMO, there should be a banner there, but either there's an error right now or it was taken down. The image's source is http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... header.png but that seems to be broken, which is why the image doesn't show up.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.