Is cURL (or wget) required to run FAH?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Sunny

Is cURL (or wget) required to run FAH?

Post by Sunny »

The installation instructions (for linux smp) used cURL to download the FAH tar file. Seems it would have been easier to just download this tar file directly from the browser. (I had to compile/install cURL to do this step)

Is this the only time that cURL is used, or does the FAH program itself require an installation of cURL?

thanks
smoking2000

Re: Is cURL (or wget) required to run FAH?

Post by smoking2000 »

The FAHClient, FAHViewer and FAHControl don't use libcurl, curl is only used in the instructions to download the package.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Is cURL (or wget) required to run FAH?

Post by 7im »

For a long time, command line installations have been the simpler and preferred method to install the linux client. The new V7 install guide will have both graphically base instructions (click on this link in your browser) and the old school command line as well.

You can preview the (still a work in progress) V7 install guide for Linux here. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinGuide
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.