Is folding based on BOINC? [No. FAH came first.]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

socceronly

Is folding based on BOINC? [No. FAH came first.]

Post by socceronly »

I thought folding was not compatible with BOINC. On the website it says they stopped development on it 2006.

In the wiki on super computing, it says Folding is based on BOINC.

Just curious.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Is folding based on BOINC?

Post by Jesse_V »

What wiki is that? F@h is not based on BOINC. In addition to that F@h page you found, the publication "Folding@home: Lessons From Eight Years of Volunteer Distributed Computing" also has information as to why F@h is not using BOINC. One particular relevant statement says "The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) now used by SETI@home and many others, launched in 2002. BOINC provides a standard client, sever, and statistics system, but with this fixed architecture comes limitations on the types of projects it can accommodate."

Certain portions of F@h code are closed-source for security and data integrity reasons, so that may have also influenced the BOINC incompatibility.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

Well, maybe it's based on BOINC in that they're both used in distributed computing, but FAH doesn't use any (as far as I know) of BOINC's software.
jts5009

Post by jts5009 »

FAH is not based off of BOINC. I just edited the Wiki myself to reflect this, but anyone with a bit more knowledge on it can make the edits at the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompu ... approaches
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

jesse_v is right, F@h has a piece of code not open for reasons of safety and accuracy of scientific results.

But it is true at one time there was a project of access to F@h with the BOINC client.

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

At the time there was a BOINC wrapper around FAH COSM client. Basically it was just a BOINC interfacing library around normal FAH client.
Why it was dropped? There were no official statements about the reasons, it turned out that at some point the BOINC developer left the Pande Group and BOINC server went offline. That was it, rest is history.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Here's some interesting info.
Folding@home is listed on the BOINC stats page: http://boincstats.com/stats/project_gra ... pr=folding
CPU breakdown: http://boincstats.com/stats/host_stats. ... lding&st=0
Country breakdown: http://boincstats.com/stats/country_sta ... lding&st=0
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

F@h was up and running long before the boinc framework started. It would therefore be impossible for fah to be based on boinc when fah came first.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Anglik666

Post by Anglik666 »

This project is no longer active. Stats are 'frozen' on the day of the last update.
Last update August 2005.... They are there but not active...
PC1: PII 940, 790GX-P, 4x2GB, HD 6870
PC2: P 9750, 790GX-P, 4x1GB, GTS 250
PC3: 2x O 2427, SM H8DII+-F, 4x2GB ECC
PC4: 2x X e5420, SM X8DLT-I, 6x1GB ECC
socceronly

Post by socceronly »

It was this wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer

Thank goodness for the history, I went back to check it and saw it was changed. Thought I was going crazy.

:)
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Jesse_V wrote:One particular relevant statement says "The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) now used by SETI@home and many others, launched in 2002. BOINC provides a standard client, server, and statistics system, but with this fixed architecture comes limitations on the types of projects it can accommodate."
In my memory of the period of time where a frenzy was occurring over BOINC in certain DC communities, that statement rings a bell and it summarizes what I remember hearing at the time. My conclusion back then was that the BOINC wrapper made distributing computing easier for some projects, but that it would actually limit and hold Folding@Home progress back if it were adopted. That is, of course, an over simplistic statement. I was looking hard at discussions back then and made my choice to focus on Folding@Home out of my understanding of those, not because it is easier but because it gives me more hope for the future.

An attempt to compare BOINC with Folding@Home is pointless. It's an attempt to compare an overcoat to a human being. (Yes, I made that up because apples to oranges just didn't seem to fit here.) :)

In regard to the initial question, "Is folding based on BOINC?", overcoat to human being works for me. No matter what one might believe about how humans came into existence, I think most of us can agree our design is not based on an overcoat. :wink:
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Is folding based on BOINC? [No. FAH came first.]

Post by 7im »

It made no sense comparing fah to boinc, especially not in that paragraph, so I removed it. I also added a link to distributed computing projects, so people understood what F@h was, and it helps the article flow better in to the next paragraph about boinc.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.