Ack! Not on that drive!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Tsara

Ack! Not on that drive!

Post by Tsara »

So I'm running the systray GPU for windows and it is installing to my C drive and not giving me any options what-so-ever for moving it to my D drive (which has a ton more space and isn't my OS only drive...)

Can someone please please please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
bruce

Re: Ack! Not on that drive!

Post by bruce »

You're probably not doing anything wrong ... just reporting deficiencies of the V6 client that we've lived with for years.

I do believe that I've moved FAH from one drive to another, and as long as you put the correct information into the shortcut that you use to start the client, it will work wherever it finds ths software and will put the data in the "Start in" directory.

I can report that V7 (which has been in open beta for some time now) has a much better installer than V6, allowing you to accept the default locations or to change directories for both programs and data.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Use V7.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bilde2910
Hardware configuration: Manufacturer: Komplett A/S
Model: Komplett Gamer i05 - GTX 750Ti Edition (with changed parts)
CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60 GHz (not used for folding)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 (used for folding)
RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
PSU: Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W PSU
DVD: ASUS DVD Writer, DRW-24F1ST
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150
Display: Samsung U28D590 @ 3840x2160p 60Hz

Post by bilde2910 »

WARNING: This operation is very hard, you should know what you are doing if you want to do it!!!

If you still want to use V6:

1. Move the entire F@H folder (C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu) to the drive you want, in a folder.
2. Open CMD.exe and type in the following:

Code: Select all

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu" "<newpath>"
Replace <newpath> with the new path the folder is located at (lets say D:\Folding@home-gpu):

Code: Select all

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu" "D:\Folding@home-gpu"
If all went well, it will show a message something along the lines of: "Junction created".
Check it, go to C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu and see if the data files are there.