171.64.65.54 - Reject [Emergency downtime]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AlphaWolf

Re: 171.64.65.54 - Reject [Emergency downtime]

Post by AlphaWolf »

Mine just went through :) Thank you, good sir!
Dave_Goodchild

Post by Dave_Goodchild »

Could I ask would it be possible to have OS X SMP clients served by more than server as any time anything happens to this one and the OS X clients can't do any work?
kasson
Pande Group Member

Post by kasson »

Unfortunately, all the new SMP servers require new core and client versions. When this happened, we distributed new clients for Linux and Windows, but the OS/X client build is more complicated and the decision was made to have OS/X wait until the v7 client. That is now in beta testing; with v7, OS/X should be able to use a wider range of SMP servers. (I'm not coordinating the testing, so I don't know the precise status and availability of these clients and cores.) We very much appreciate the situation that OS/X donors are in (and I raised this as a consideration when we were discussing how to apportion our developer resources regarding new core and client builds). Obviously, the numbers I mentioned above were for 6 SMP servers; if you are running OS/X v6 clients and have 1 SMP server, the reliability is more like 99%, which is much worse than we'd like.

The thing I would highlight here is that as soon as we have v7 OS/X in full release then OS/X should once again be no different from our other platforms in terms of SMP work availability.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Joshua_Mahr wrote:If we wanted to host servers for F@H is that possible do you need more servers? Just a question cause I have a few servers not doing anything.
This is a kind offer, although there is donor sensitive information stored on the servers (in particular passkeys and donor names), so it doesn't work for 3rd parties.

If you do have new-ish, large RAID (ideally 20TB or more), high quality (name brand) machines to loan us locally, that would definitely be of interest.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

k1wi wrote: Vijay, I appreciate the scarcity of your time, but are these new servers coming on line part of the last big upgrade of servers that was talked about (cannot find when - possibly way back in September 09?) or is this part of an ongoing incremental upgrade cycle?
We're now constantly buying new machines, roughly every 6 to 12 months, depending on funding availability. We're about to bring on line 300TB of storage and about to make orders for another 500TB. Also, we're starting to spec CS's very differently than the WS's (CS are much more RAM heavy, less TB disk, but faster (SSD) disk), which should also make a difference once that's set up.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University
jaynick65

Post by jaynick65 »

Mine that was stuck in que since yesterday went thru today. Thanks much.
Image Team Helix
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Appears to be down again. Status screen is saying "Reject" under connect, WU won't upload. Maybe manufacturer is working on that RAID array? :)
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

Confirmed here as well. One machine waiting (well, working on another while it waits to u/l) for about 90 minutes.
[Ars] For Caitlin
Hardware configuration: Two homebuilt rigs. Radeon 6900XT. Nvidia 2060 Super.

Post by [Ars] For Caitlin »

Peter, I for one appreciate everbody's efforts there at Stanford to do this important research on issues that affect us all. Thanks.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Mine went through at 16:15 UTC... Server must be back up?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, back up. Won't upload unless it's back up. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Yes, it's back up. We'll keep an eye on it.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University