Cannot Install Wine on ubuntu

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

icspotz

Cannot Install Wine on ubuntu

Post by icspotz »

With the caveat that this may not be the proper forum to post this question. I have also listed it in Linux forums on another site. But in that my main interest is setting this up toward folding. I am taking a shot here. Please point me in the right direction to get advise on this issue.

I am trying to set up the FAH GPU Tracker V2 using Wine.
When I installed Wine the first time it working to the point I could do this:
applications>wine>browse C: drive.....and then the virtual C drive window would open in the normal fashion. I then proceeded to run and use FAH GPU Tracker V2 via Wine. I was not successful.
When I went back to it later I tried to open the C: drive browser window by doing the same steps as before....applications>wine>browse C: drive.....and all I got was a “file not found” window.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall Wine and the installation seemed to go well. Wine showed up in the applications box......but...applications>wine>browse C: drive....would no longer open the virtual C drive window anymore and I still got the error “file not found”.
I can no longer get a functioning version of wine to work. I have used WineHQ to re-download and reinstall Wine 1.2 to no avail.
How can I re-install a functioning version of Wine on Ubuntu 10.10?
HendricksSA

Re: Cannot Install Wine on ubuntu

Post by HendricksSA »

Not sure if you got your Wine working or not but if your intent is to fold, you might want to look in this topic. viewforum.php?f=54

Wine and GPU folding under Linux isn't officially supported, but there are many experts who spend time in the above topic who may be able to help you. Good luck.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Cannot Install Wine on ubuntu

Post by toTOW »

Combined an unsupported configuration (GPU on Linux) with a third party tool might not be a good idea :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.