HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v7

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

harlam357

Re: HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home

Post by harlam357 »

1) Don't worry about that exception. I need to make some adjustments there. But, I've never been able to reproduce that error in Windows... Linux is another story.

I already have an Issue entered here: http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/issues/detail?id=236 I added the stack trace you provided as well.

2) If using the MSI installer the desktop shortcut should be removed (the entire previous version is uninstalled) and then replaced with the shortcut from the new install. I've never seen a "broken" shortcut left behind. I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly either... can you elaborate?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Okay, for issue #2, instead of leaving the shortcut on my desktop, I place it in a folder to have a neat desktop. When I updated HFM.NET, a new shortcut is made and the old one (in the folder) is broken. I replace it (move from desktop to folder) and it works. My question is that why does it happen since the installation path is the same? I do it with other applications like CCleaner and they work. The only exception is HFM.NET so I am wondering if there is a specific reason for that.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Forget it. My mistake.
single 1070

harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

PantherX wrote:Okay, for issue #2, instead of leaving the shortcut on my desktop, I place it in a folder to have a neat desktop. When I updated HFM.NET, a new shortcut is made and the old one (in the folder) is broken. I replace it (move from desktop to folder) and it works. My question is that why does it happen since the installation path is the same? I do it with other applications like CCleaner and they work. The only exception is HFM.NET so I am wondering if there is a specific reason for that.
It's an advertised shortcut that is tied to the specific install. This "marriage" allows Windows Installer to work some of his magic if necessary. That's why it's removed and added again on upgrades. I know there isn't much flexibility in the installer. But I wanted to make it simple and I'm currently pleased with the simplicity. Down side for your situation, you'll just have to delete the shortcut after upgrades.

Here's what you do... create your own shortcut to the HFM.exe file in your other folder. If you create it, it won't be tied to Windows Installer and will continue to work through upgrades.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Thanks a lot harlam357 :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Qinsp

Help: HFM.NET won't run?

Post by Qinsp »

I set up 2 machines with WinXP SP3, and installed HFM.NET, and it won't run. It installs, but gives an error message when launched. I already have HFM.NET running on a XP SP3 machine, and I'm not sure why it would be different. The only Win difference, is the one it works on is XP Home, and the 2 it fails on are Pro.

Error is "Application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000135"

I'm in Admin mode, and it installed in the same directories on all three machines.

I'm willing to bet that it's some setting in Windows that I'm unaware of, I just don't which one. These are "naked" machines with brand new XP seats on them, that I just installed today on clean HDD's.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
ChelseaOilman

Re: Help: HFM.NET won't run?

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Qinsp wrote:These are "naked" machines with brand new XP seats on them, that I just installed today on clean HDD's.
Did you install all the Windows updates yet? I'm wondering if you have .NET installed and updated.
Qinsp

Re: Help: HFM.NET won't run?

Post by Qinsp »

Ahhh... That might be it. Guess I better check.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

That error is almost certainly due to .NET not being installed. I just did the same thing on a box I "assumed" I had installed .NET and got the same error. After you install .NET, make sure you check for updates twice. First update installed latest SP, reboot, second installed hotfixes since SP, reboot and job done.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Yep... nail on the head. No .NET Framework. Please make sure you install v3.5 SP1.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

harlam357, looking better every time I play with it.
Can you remove info from the completed units file. Can't really see the need for most of it.
Just Proj - R/C/G - DL date - Completed date - credit

I know I can do it with excel, or whatever, just seems way overboard on info.

Again - LOOKING NICE!!
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

@RAH

You can select which columns show in the Work Unit History Viewer (under Tools) by right clicking on the heading line and unchecking the items you want to eliminate from the view. You can also move columns by clicking on the heading and dragging it to the location you prefer and sorting the data by a particular column is just a matter of clicking on the heading. Click heading a second time to reverse the order.

@Harlam

I don't see the client version in the list of column choices for the History Viewer?
Also, when you right click on the line number you can delete the line which is fine but how about a copy to clipboard option?

EDIT: Shift-Ctrl-C works for the copy. :ewink:
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

@RAH - Thank mate! :) bollix hit the nail on the head with your question I think. If not, please post back and let me know.

@bollix - I don't believe the client version was in the CompletedUnits.csv file either. To that point, I'll consider adding it later on down the road. Also, I'll look into adding a right-click copy to clipboard option as well. I have plans to add further import/export functionality to the WU History Database. This would give users the ability to get data out in an intelligible format for sharing with others or other systems.

Issues here:

http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/issues/detail?id=242

http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/issues/detail?id=243
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Thanks harlam!
I'll look into adding a right-click copy to clipboard option as well
Anything that minimizes the need to switch from the mouse to the keyboard is always appreciated.
Askit2

Post by Askit2 »

Forum will not let me post log or anything in code block and keeps complaining about an IMAGE i am not attatching. I am hopeful this will let me actually post a reqest for help.