Monitor GPU usage?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

patfla
Hardware configuration: Ideapad y550p with Nvidia Geforce GT 240M. Running Windows 7 Ultimate
64 bit. Have CentOS loaded in a second hard drive partition if this might be of
use.

Monitor GPU usage?

Post by patfla »

My first WU finished last night (PST aka GMT-8). I'd clicked "Pause when done" so I could upgrade from GPU2 to GPU3. The upgrade seems to have been successful and GPU3 is chugging away on 582 p2750_N68H_AM03

How do I monitor GPU usage? Obviously, standard Windows tools, whether something as naive (but not unuseful) as taskmgr or more sophisticated like sysinternals' process explorer won't so much as touch the GPU.

I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 240M. Had to upgrade the driver for GPU3 - its new version is 258.96 (old version was 189.90).

I might note that FAHlog.txt tells me that my GPU3 client is still compiled with the 32-bit compile while my machine (hardware and OS) is 64-bit.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Monitor GPU usage?

Post by 7im »

At this point, there is no advantage to changing to a 64 bit GPU client.

Aren't there some GPU tweaker tools out there that also show you the usage? Google it. Or check the 3rd Party Tools section of this forum to see if any are listed there.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

EVGA Precision shows gpu core usage.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

patfla
Hardware configuration: Ideapad y550p with Nvidia Geforce GT 240M. Running Windows 7 Ultimate
use.

Post by patfla »

I'll check out EVGA Precision but for the moment GPU-Z seems to do the trick. I can't put up its link because there's a first-day prohibition on new users posting links which is understandable.

GPU is pegged at 98%. Is there some way of throttling GPU usage? I'm not having problems but it seems to me that a user (donor) would want to have some degree of control over this.

Yes, I suppose the 32-bit client doesn't matter because the CPU's role is far less than that of the GPU.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

patfla wrote:...Is there some way of throttling GPU usage?...
There is, use this Nvidia Environment Variable; FAH_GPU_IDLE and use a value between 5 and 10 (More details) but there isn't any limit to it. The higher the value, the lower your PPD as it will take longer to finish the WU as there will be breaks in the WU processing.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
patfla
use.

Post by patfla »

Hi Adrien - so what you're saying is that you'd like one of the software monitoring tools modified to include dropped frames?

I may not be interpreting what you've said correctly. It would seem to me that dropped frames would meant that one was pushing on one's GPU (not CPU) too hard. Or is it a matter of the rate at which the CPU feeds frames to the GPU? There is of course the task of copying the work units from CPU to GPU memory and the pacing of these operations.
bruce

Post by bruce »

adriennbelly wrote:The easy way to check if it is worth pointing out is to add more detail to the windows and see if you drop frames. If they do not, you are CPU limited in the previous settings ,resolution. If they do, you push your GPU as fast as it can go. How do you know if you are limited, while sifting through the material just look at the performance charts fps, comment cards.
These statements may apply to the use of GPUs by gamers, but I'm not sure how it applies to GPUs being used for FAH. Are you sure you're in the right forum? What User Name do you use for your FAH points?