Stats server down?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Wrish

Re: Stats server down?

Post by Wrish »

After careful consideration, I decided that if HFM was getting stats every 15 minutes, and that was "crime" enough to get my IP banned due to the stress it puts on Stanford servers, what about the 200 or so work units I send from that same IP every day?
Stanford is unlikely to distinguish IPs that upload twice a month from those that do 200 times a day.

Querying a cgi-bin page every 15 minutes is almost 100 times a day, plus however many times you did it manually. They have only one stats box, and every query adds to its CPU load (these cgi elements are inefficient). I heard their cutoff was 60 accesses per day per IP. There should never be a reason to access the same page more than once an hour, and third party stats are at any time only about an hour behind (xcpus reloads every hour).

Have you PM'ed them about this?
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: Stats server down?

Post by Nathan_P »

iwegian wrote:
Nathan_P wrote:
iwegian wrote:ah, that is it. I just started using HFM a few weeks ago when I started the A3 SMPs. Before that I always used FAHmon which did not estimate bonuses. So now what? I have found and turned off that Web Generation setting. Is this a lifetime ban? If so I think I will shut down.
Given that tis is a known issue with HFM i would suggest PM'ing someone from PG and asking them to unblock you. Its not your fault and you shouldn't be punished for it.

Just as an aside though i never bother with the offical stats and only occasionally look at project summary, i don't worry if i can't access it for any reason, i certainly don't think about shutting down, just my .02 :wink:
After careful consideration, I decided that if HFM was getting stats every 15 minutes, and that was "crime" enough to get my IP banned due to the stress it puts on Stanford servers, what about the 200 or so work units I send from that same IP every day? That certainly must cause a lot of traffic also. SO I did something just as thought out and fair as Stanford banning my IP. I banned theirs. That will save them those 200 units a day, many of which were 40 plus megabytes. And save me 250 dollars a month in electricity.

The WU servers are designed to handle the traffic that the clients put on them and there are many of them. As Wrish says the stats all run off one server and this is why they ask people not to cgi query the stats box. You will only have been banned from the stats sever and that may only be a temporary ban, as we have both suggested have you tried PM'ing someone as 200 WU a day is a big contribution to the project