Stats server down?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: Stats server down?

Post by VijayPande »

Looks like cron went down at ~midnight PT. We're doing some manual re-running now and hopefully will have a more complete fix later today.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
robert2223

Post by robert2223 »

Great to hear Vijay. Well hopefully the manual updates will continue until you can isolate and fix the culprit
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Down again?

Can't access http://fah-web.stanford.edu

No update on 3rd party stats at EOC.
EOC_Jason

Post by EOC_Jason »

It appears so... The logfile was empty (because it couldn't connect), nor can I download the files onto my PC... it just times out... :(

Well... they almost made it half a week!
ElectricVehicle

Post by ElectricVehicle »

But when it's up, it's faster than it's ever been before!! :D

I'm seeing that it's down also, even the Client Statistics is not responding - it just times out.

These links also don't respond (among others...).
Server status
Project summary (directly from the servers, updated hourly)

Looks like fah-web.stanford.edu may be having an issue or some network connectivity within Stanford. Hello? Can anybody hear me? No on can hear you scream in cyberspace when the network is down! :wink: I'm sure we'll get some update or fix for this pretty soon as it's hard to miss!
Fold On! (with 100% Renewable, 0 Carbon electricity) ElectricVehicle EV1, RAV4 EV, LEAF, Bolt EV, Volt, M3, s4 Simulator
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Somebody is pounding fah-web very, very hard, in a DOS-like fashion.

Time to ban some IP's.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
ElectricVehicle

EEEeeeks! That's grossly unfriendly of somebody. Thanks for getting out the ban IP stick!
Fold On! (with 100% Renewable, 0 Carbon electricity) ElectricVehicle EV1, RAV4 EV, LEAF, Bolt EV, Volt, M3, s4 Simulator
ElectricVehicle

Looks like things are back to normai. Thanks for fixing them!

I can access the Team Statistics now, in addition to the pages mentioned earlier.
Bavonburt

Post by Bavonburt »

If the servers are down, they forward to a page saying come back later, because when they maintain the site they do it account by account so the home page is always working, it requires a good internet connection to load the page so check that there is nothing else using the internet on your IP address.
iwegian

Post by iwegian »

I have been patiently waiting for the stats to work again. They do not. Whenever I click into the Donor Stats or Summary I get a "Forbidden." From what I have been reading, that means my IP must be banned? I most CERTAINLY HAVE NOT been attacking the servers, if I am banned. I run Opera web browser and have a "session" that includes my personal stats and the summary pages, kakaostats and OC page. I run refresh those a couple times a day. Once in a great while, when the reply is "Busy try back later" I will refresh a couple times in a few minutes....certainly not an attack level. If I am banned then either Opera is refreshing in the background without actually displaying the new page, or your banning is a bit draconian. While the NV GPU fiasco was going on I did refresh quite a few times a day trying to see if I was being credited for several hundred work units....which I never got credit for. Again, not an attack. Please reconsider my usage level and act accordingly.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

If you're using HFM, please read this announcement : viewtopic.php?p=136140#p136140

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
iwegian

Post by iwegian »

ah, that is it. I just started using HFM a few weeks ago when I started the A3 SMPs. Before that I always used FAHmon which did not estimate bonuses. So now what? I have found and turned off that Web Generation setting. Is this a lifetime ban? If so I think I will shut down.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

iwegian wrote:ah, that is it. I just started using HFM a few weeks ago when I started the A3 SMPs. Before that I always used FAHmon which did not estimate bonuses. So now what? I have found and turned off that Web Generation setting. Is this a lifetime ban? If so I think I will shut down.
Given that tis is a known issue with HFM i would suggest PM'ing someone from PG and asking them to unblock you. Its not your fault and you shouldn't be punished for it.

Just as an aside though i never bother with the offical stats and only occasionally look at project summary, i don't worry if i can't access it for any reason, i certainly don't think about shutting down, just my .02 :wink:
iwegian

Post by iwegian »

Nathan_P wrote:
iwegian wrote:ah, that is it. I just started using HFM a few weeks ago when I started the A3 SMPs. Before that I always used FAHmon which did not estimate bonuses. So now what? I have found and turned off that Web Generation setting. Is this a lifetime ban? If so I think I will shut down.
Given that tis is a known issue with HFM i would suggest PM'ing someone from PG and asking them to unblock you. Its not your fault and you shouldn't be punished for it.

Just as an aside though i never bother with the offical stats and only occasionally look at project summary, i don't worry if i can't access it for any reason, i certainly don't think about shutting down, just my .02 :wink:
After careful consideration, I decided that if HFM was getting stats every 15 minutes, and that was "crime" enough to get my IP banned due to the stress it puts on Stanford servers, what about the 200 or so work units I send from that same IP every day? That certainly must cause a lot of traffic also. SO I did something just as thought out and fair as Stanford banning my IP. I banned theirs. That will save them those 200 units a day, many of which were 40 plus megabytes. And save me 250 dollars a month in electricity.
ONE-OF-THREE
Hardware configuration: Playstation 3, 80gig (bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots) :)

Playstation 3, 40gig

Gateway FX6800-09H
Intel Core i7 920
2.67GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX260
1 TB 7200 RPM
8MB L2
750 Watts
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

Post by ONE-OF-THREE »

iwegian wrote:After careful consideration, I decided that if HFM was getting stats every 15 minutes, and that was "crime" enough to get my IP banned due to the stress it puts on Stanford servers, what about the 200 or so work units I send from that same IP every day? That certainly must cause a lot of traffic also. SO I did something just as thought out and fair as Stanford banning my IP. I banned theirs. That will save them those 200 units a day, many of which were 40 plus megabytes. And save me 250 dollars a month in electricity.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13845&p=135994#p135994

Before we lose you and all the very valuable help you give to this project, you might want to also read this post by VijayPande (please click on the above url) and in which he explains "the HFM developer (and all developers) should NEVER query any of our cgi-bin pages", as that is why through absolutely no fault of your own your IP became banned.

viewtopic.php?p=136140#p136140

Which is why harlam357 has released a newer version (available at the above url) of the "HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home" which hopefully now will no longer cause any problems for those that wish to use it that program.

So please reconsider, and continue folding.