Is it just me or are the Stats not updating?[Nov 12 problem]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheWolf

Re: Is it just me or are the Stats not updating?[Nov 12 problem]

Post by TheWolf »

Well I am highly disappointed. I been folding since late 2002.
There have been a few bumps in the road since my beginning.
But never one as disappointing as this. From what I can tell I'm still missing many points.
The 13k boost on one day is all I have seen. I turn 40k or better ever 24hrs before the crash.
I've made adjustments & added 2 rigs right after the crash witch bumped me to should be over 50k.
I do have 1 rig with a problem at this time with up to if not more than four WU's that will not return for some reason.
I just found it wasn't getting the WU's sent in last night. Most are past due now, but still the server will not except those that are not.
Dus the reason for my point drop the past day. The one rig alone turns over 5k a day of SMP WU's.
If I don't see something soon I may just turn off all 33 clients & be done with the project for good.
bruce

Post by bruce »

TheWolf wrote:Well I am highly disappointed. I been folding since late 2002.
But never one as disappointing as this. From what I can tell I'm still missing many points.
The 13k boost on one day is all I have seen. I turn 40k or better ever 24hrs before the crash.
I've made adjustments & added 2 rigs right after the crash witch bumped me to should be over 50k.
I do have 1 rig with a problem at this time with up to if not more than four WU's that will not return for some reason.
I just found it wasn't getting the WU's sent in last night. Most are past due now, but still the server will not except those that are not.
Dus the reason for my point drop the past day. The one rig alone turns over 5k a day of SMP WU's.
If I don't see something soon I may just turn off all 33 clients & be done with the project for good.
I said it before and I'll say it again: You're talking about two distinct problems. They need to be reported two different places.

1) The stats server was down on Nov 12. That is the server that this thread is discussing, as well as the recredit.

2) If you have also been having a problem getting WUs assigned or getting WUs uploaded, then your PPD is going to naturally be less than you expect, but THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A DIFFERENT SERVER. Figure out which one(s) it is and report it under a topic for that IP number.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

bruce wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Well I am highly disappointed. I been folding since late 2002.
I said it before and I'll say it again: You're talking about two distinct problems. They need to be reported two different places.

1) The stats server was down on Nov 12. That is the server that this thread is discussing, as well as the recredit.

2) If you have also been having a problem getting WUs assigned or getting WUs uploaded, then your PPD is going to naturally be less than you expect, but THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A DIFFERENT SERVER. Figure out which one(s) it is and report it under a topic for that IP number.
My post was about Nov 12th, mostly the last line in it.
"actually 10th 11th & 12th that's 3 days not one I saw with the server crash & less points than I should have gotten"
That can be see here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&u=34966
I just happened to add a few other comments to point out why my PPD was down now. Got a problem with that?
djchandler
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics 3.80 GHz
16.0 GB
HP Pavilion Desktop model TP01-2xxx without discrete video card
Windows 11 Pro
Native client running 1 slot, 8 cores

Post by djchandler »

7im wrote:I
With all your unsubstantiated claims, you wouldn't happen to work at Fox News would you? :lol:
Provocative, am I? Unsubstantiated claims were not part of my post. A disclaimer that it was nothing but speculation preceded those speculations. No, I'm not a Fox News guy, but I experience a little dementia at times due to my chronic illness. I must have been having one of those days yesterday. :roll:

What I am trying to do is provoke PG into providing better communication, thus more transparency in their process, when these glitches occur.

I did read the cited article as well as others about the Xbox banning at Xbox Live. I also read all the responses in the threads and posted many myself. I assure you my reading comprehension is quite good. Yes, piracy is probably the main reason those units were kicked off, but cheating was the tipping point. Xbox Live stood to lose subscribers if those using the service had no chance to win a game because of being hopelessly over-matched by users with modified boxes for the purpose of gaining a competitive advantage. Most of those responding and in favor of the banning cited rampant cheating in the course of playing the games. What I'm trying to point out is that if people will cheat to win a stupid on-line game, what might someone do to win a a new $1900 i7/X58 computer? Is it really beyond the realm of even remote possibility? Some of the teams being sponsored now may be bringing people into the project that have less than scientific interests at heart. Therefore I question their motivation if the main reason they are a part of this is to have a chance to gain some material bonus or prize.

The other thing I speculated about was lack of competence on the part of those responsible for re-crediting. Look at this donor's daily chart on Extreme Overclocking's stats. Now look at this one. Doesn't that seem odd? I'm just asking questions here.:?:

Quite frankly, I never considered that there may be cheating on Folding@Home before PG began using the passkey ID system. If there isn't that possibility, why did they implement it? Since stealing someone else's points is circumvented through use of the passkey, it makes sense to me that those involved in previous incidents (if there were any) may try to devise a new way to cheat.

The system broke. What's the underlying weakness in the system?
Folding for Cures
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

And here is you another.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=415521

Amazing isin't it went from a 2000 PPD avg to a 60,000 PPD avg right as they started re crediting points.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
noorman
Hardware configuration: Folders: Intel C2D E6550 @ 3.150 GHz + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 765 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
AMD A2X64 3800+ @ stock + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 775 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
Main rig: an old Athlon Barton 2500+ @2.25 GHz & 2* 512 MB RAM Apacer, Radeon 9800Pro, WinXP SP3+
Location: Belgium, near the International Sea-Port of Antwerp

Post by noorman »

Grandpa_01 wrote:And here is you another.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=415521

Amazing isin't it went from a 2000 PPD avg to a 60,000 PPD avg right as they started re crediting points.

Waoow, that frobozz guy must be a happy bunny !

- stopped Linux SMP w. HT on i7-860@3.5 GHz
Folded since 10-06-04 till 09-2010
djchandler
16.0 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Post by djchandler »

TheWolf wrote: If I don't see something soon I may just turn off all 33 clients & be done with the project for good.
Surely no one can question you commitment. With 33 clients, one would think you deserve some consideration in getting to the bottom of this. But as someone who may eventually benefit in a very real way from F@H, I request that you to not shut down your farm. Your effort is appreciated by me at least.

BTW, any idea how much you spend monthly on power to run your F@H farm?
Folding for Cures
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

I'd have to agree after looking at some others charts.
Looks as tho people are getting other people credits plus there own.
I'd say someone made a big bobo at PG with the re-crediting.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

djchandler wrote:
TheWolf wrote: If I don't see something soon I may just turn off all 33 clients & be done with the project for good.
Surely no one can question you commitment. With 33 clients, one would think you deserve some consideration in getting to the bottom of this. But as someone who may eventually benefit in a very real way from F@H, I request that you do not shut down your farm. Your effort is appreciated by me at least.

BTW, any idea how much you spend monthly on power to run your F@H farm?
My normal power bill without folding is around $150 to $200, I been paying $400+ to just over $500 a month.

Thanks, its good to know someone appreciates my effort.
J_M

Post by J_M »

I find FAHReQ the most telling of all. This person was not even folding during the outage yet received a 'recredit' of 50,000 points on his 6th day and has averaged around 5k since. How can you have lost 50,000 points before you have even started folding? Surely PG must admit this recredit has been done incorrectly at this point.
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

TheWolf wrote:Well I am highly disappointed.
I am with you there. Since the crash things have been a mess I got re credited for around 25% - 30% somewhere in that area. I am loosing WU's daily. There is still a problem associated with the 11th / 12th crash. No one will acnolidge it they just keep quiet. I shut down 4 clients 2 days ago and moved them to another project. The rest of mine are going down and moving to another project at the end of the week. I am tired of total silence from PG and being treated like an iddiot.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

frobozz is on Team ATI, and has 37 clients active in the last week. And half of them are GPUs, and all reporting in the last few days, well after the Recredit was so called done by Bruce. So it's not a glitch, not a mistake, not cheating, just hard folding. That kind of hardware would certainly earn those kinds of points.

Don't claim a problem just because you don't understand the circumstances behind the data. :roll:

I don't know what "incorrectly" means, but however they did it, it was done as best they could with the resources they had. No cheating. No mistakes, none of that. If they had the data, they credited it, and I haven't heard otherwise, so stop being trolls.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
djchandler
16.0 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Post by djchandler »

by 7im on 01 Dec 2009 15:50
frobozz is on Team ATI, and has 37 clients active in the last week.
That explains one instance. From time to time people add new hardware. It will be interesting to watch frobozz's graph for a while though. I'm bookmarking it. And how many active clients did he have before 11/21? His first "spike" came on 11/18.

The two instances I cited have been watched already for two weeks. One could be explained as a disgruntled donor, who was TeamUbuntu's #1 producer before the stats server failure, getting around 50,000 PPD due to running bigadv WUs on an 8-core/threaded CPU. Now he's getting less PPD than me. But the one with the weird spike still looks strange. Can anyone explain that? I know it's a mere pittance in points to someone who gets so many per day, but that could represent weeks or months on a single core CPU client. It's a matter of perspective.

As for people being trolls, I don't think that's the case. Nobody is making stuff up here just to be provocative other than perhaps myself. And as I said before, I'm speculating. If that makes me a troll, then so be it. But I wouldn't be speculating if I had answers. Isn't the first step in getting answers asking the right question(s)? Is there something wrong with that?

We're still not getting answers. Instead we feel like we are getting stonewalled. It's human nature to develop some mythology when they don't know what's going on. If we heard something like, "the stat server raid failed," "there was a power failure," "the stat server CPU burned up" or "there was a security breach" that would pretty effectively end all speculation as to why some are not ever going to see WU credit from during the stat server system failure. Give the donors, your volunteers who contribute their time, resources and effort without recompense other than recognition through "points," a rational explanation besides "we don't know" and you will probably see the end of this thread. It's simply a matter of trust, which must be a part of any ongoing collaboration.

Since we're not getting questions satisfactorily answered by PG, what do you want people to do, just quit F@H? If that's what the goal is, it looks like it's working.

BTW, what does your profile picture represent, 7im? It looks like someone wearing some mythological beast costume. Is that you?
Folding for Cures
J_M

Post by J_M »

7im wrote: so stop being trolls.
Is this Pande Groups official stance then? If we notice anomalies in the recredit and have not been recredited ourselves we are trolls? Is this how an organization should treat it's volunteers?

If you represent the Pande Group it looks like it's time to find another project.

Edit: Noticed that 7im is NOT speaking from any official position and is just jumping in. Perhaps he may let the mods and PG speak when we ask for official responses on this matter.
Last edited by J_M on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

J_M wrote:
7im wrote: so stop being trolls.
Is this Pande Groups official stance then? If we notice anomalies in the recredit and have not been recredited ourselves we are trolls? Is this how an organization should treat it's volunteers?

If you represent the Pande Group it looks like it's time to find another project.
Actually his avatar is what a troll would looks like to me. lol

I'm wondering the same?
J_M wrote:I find FAHReQ the most telling of all. This person was not even folding during the outage yet received a 'recredit' of 50,000 points on his 6th day and has averaged around 5k since. How can you have lost 50,000 points before you have even started folding? Surely PG must admit this recredit has been done incorrectly at this point.
I would like to see them explan that one as well?
Edit: BTW I fixed your link, it wasn't working correct.
Last edited by TheWolf on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.