Dedicated Folding Computer Poll

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

If you were given a dedicated folding computer, would you use your electricity and bandwidth?

Yes, I don't care which team I fold for.
24%
No
No votes
No, if I am spending my money on electricity, then I want to fold for my own team.
71%
Only if I could use it for my own use as well
5%

Total votes: 38

azflying

Dedicated Folding Computer Poll

Post by azflying »

I have another post in the Hardware Forum about my project of giving computers to individuals for the dedicated use of Folding@Home. I want to get a sense from the community of how many people would be willing to use their electricity and bandwidth if they were given a dedicated computer for this purpose. After 3-4 years the computer would be given to the individual for their use.

I appreciate your response.

Best Regards,

Jeff O'Malley
Last edited by azflying on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Re: Dedicated Folding Computer Poll

Post by jrweiss »

It would have to be a relatively new computer, though, so the PPD/Watt is reasonable -- no P3 or P4 or PD clunkers!
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
azflying

Post by azflying »

These computers would be new computers with most likely the I7 architecture processors. I have a post in the Hardware Forum about specs, etc.

Regards,
Jeff
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I wouldn't trust people about what they claim : what will prove that they respect their promise of running the machine 24/7 on FAH ? :?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
azflying

Post by azflying »

toTow,

That is a great point. I'm not sure how we make sure that they computer is being used 24/7 for folding. Again, I am not very technical but maybe the computer could be locked out for the 3-4 years so that it is managed on my side. The end-user would have limited usage of the computer during that time. I am not looking for people who just want a free computer but people who want to be a part of Folding@Home and are willing to pay for the electricity and internet usage. I am supplying the computer and they are supplying the electricity and internet.

Jeff
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Another question : will you allow them to fold under the Username they want and the team they like, or will they have no control on that ?

And of course, who will manage the machines and check if everything is folding fine ? (this relates to my previous remark about checking if they honor they promise).

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

Hmmm, I'd be on board with that if I can fold under my current team and user name. My basement is nice and cool.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
azflying

Post by azflying »

toTOW wrote:Another question : will you allow them to fold under the Username they want and the team they like, or will they have no control on that ?

And of course, who will manage the machines and check if everything is folding fine ? (this relates to my previous remark about checking if they honor they promise).
These computers would run under my team, which is the same team that my large cluster will run under. I haven't thought about usernames but I don't see any reason they can't have a unique username of their own.

Managing the machines will take place by my IT people who will be managing the cluster.

Jeff
azflying

Post by azflying »

Ravage7779 wrote:Hmmm, I'd be on board with that if I can fold under my current team and user name. My basement is nice and cool.
I'm sure everyone would be onboard if they got a free computer to fold and add to their points, :D but the points will go towards the foundation's team. They will be able to see their points obviously based on the username.
bruce

Post by bruce »

How about buying a bunch of the new PS3s on the condition that they be left on and folding whenever no games are being played. You'd have plenty of applications for one of the new low-power version. Your "customer" gets the immediate use of a game console and they donate the over-night electricity to FAH.
azflying

Post by azflying »

bruce wrote:How about buying a bunch of the new PS3s on the condition that they be left on and folding whenever no games are being played. You'd have plenty of applications for one of the new low-power version. Your "customer" gets the immediate use of a game console and they donate the over-night electricity to FAH.
Interesting idea...I need to give some thought to that. The first thing that comes to mind is, how do I know if they are letting it fold. I would hate to buy a bunch of PS3's for people to play on and then they don't fold.
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

It would show in the stats (or fail to) under your team name/number. You'd just have to track usernames. Obviously that applies to whatever vehicle is used to do the folding.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

azflying wrote:Managing the machines will take place by my IT people who will be managing the cluster.
What management tool will you use? How will it integrate with a normal dynamic IP address in a home, without enabling access to any other computers or devices on the home net?
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Who owns the computer, or more precicely, when does the legal title transfer?

Your poll may be biased because it doesn't give all the information. If you asked who would donate their electricity you didn't specify whether I would be forced to use your team number or if I could use my own. Changing that assumption might move about half of the votes from one category to the other. Some people are completely altruistic about FAH and others are very much into the points competition.

Would you expect to get it back from somebody who takes it on one pretense and then doesn't follow your "rules"
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Good points, I voted yes, but now I'm considering saying no only because it's not my thing to boost someone else's stats ( or team ). I think your foundation would have enough pr material without the need to have points accumulating.

It's a donor who pays for electricity.. You do realise running costs outweigh investment costs over those 4 years for allot of people. Yes, anyone likes to be given something, but this gift costs allot and you're taking the most important secondary incentive to fold away from people, their points!