Programs dont work out of the box for Linux

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheWolf

Re: Programs dont work out of the box for Linux

Post by TheWolf »

Same problem I ran into, once the check mark is removed on 1st install it never reappears
when doing a reinstall or freash install. Once you have config the V7 with user name and
other info that screen also never reappears, no matter how many times you uninstall v7 and reinstall.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

TheWolf wrote:Same problem I ran into, once the check mark is removed on 1st install it never reappears
when doing a reinstall or freash install. Once you have config the V7 with user name and
other info that screen also never reappears, no matter how many times you uninstall v7 and reinstall.
This is not a problem with the Folding@home software. This is because Linux programs are different than Windows programs, and the two are installed differently. Unlike Windows, there are two ways (under apt-get) of removing a Linux package: remove and purge. Remove simply uninstalls the program, and leaves the configuration files behind. Then you can reinstall, but still have the configuration remaining. The GDebi Package Installer does this by default, and you can also do it in the command line with "sudo apt-get remove fahclient". Now, if you purge the F@h packages (as has been mentioned earlier in the thread) it's a complete removal, and the configuration is wiped. Hence, if you run "sudo apt-get purge fahclient", it should ask for your configuration once you install using the Package Manager again.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Jesse is accurate, but may not work if custom folders have been created to run fah. It's not feasible to test for and to program for every possible customization. The defaults work. The farther you stray from the defaults, the harder it can be to get back to defaults.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

Jesse_V wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Same problem I ran into, once the check mark is removed on 1st install it never reappears
This is not a problem with the Folding@home software. This is because Linux programs are different than Windows programs, and the two are installed differently. Unlike Windows, there are two ways (under apt-get) of removing a Linux package: remove and purge. Remove simply uninstalls the program, and leaves the configuration files behind. Then you can reinstall, but still have the configuration remaining. The GDebi Package Installer does this by default, and you can also do it in the command line with "sudo apt-get remove fahclient". Now, if you purge the F@h packages (as has been mentioned earlier in the thread) it's a complete removal, and the configuration is wiped. Hence, if you run "sudo apt-get purge fahclient", it should ask for your configuration once you install using the Package Manager again.
Thanks for the info Jesse, should I decide to work with it again on the 1 rig this "sudo apt-get purge fahclient" will be useful.