I am a noob here, hope you guys can help!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Music Guy123

Re: I am a noob here, hope you guys can help!

Post by Music Guy123 »

Ok, I will look into that. The chances are the school electricity bill is likely to increase a little but it will probably be such an insignificant amount that it shouldn't matter. I would be wondering whether the IT department would be more concerned about the over heating or the CPUs constantly being on max. But then that is what a server CPU is supposed to do right? Also, I think they pay a certain amount a month for dell to fix all their problems and stuff like that so if it did go, I am sure they will get it sorted, I do wish they would go with a different company other than dell lol! I think what I will do is not mention the bill and if they mention it and don't do fah because of it, I will do some tests. However, if it isn't necessary, I probably will try not to do it. I can't see why they won't want to do it, all those cores sitting around every school holiday...think how many WUs that could get through! Anyway, thank you for all the encouragement, I will give it a go asap! I get on well with the headmaster and head of IT so there shouldn't be too much of a problem with being completely polite, the IT guy is down to earth! However, am not going to risk anything, I will try and be polite and try to get it through. I can't see too much reason against it.
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Ok, I spoke to the guy who runs the servers and he is not against it but he says it won't be easy. The primary problem stopping us from using all the servers is that most of them use vmware and citrix to hold the OS. Therefore, I would need a client that works on this, any ideas? There was the odd security issue but I guess there is no way you guys can resolve that. They just have to check it out and all sorts. Even though they may trust it, it is school rules! Otherwise, we do have three servers that do run a standard OS. Problem one of these is the CCTV server, it should have enough power but it is all to do with security here. Finally, is it possible to turn this on/off through a timer or something? Hope you guys can help!
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Good news and bad news! Bad news is that I can't use the school servers that are currently being used as there would be too many complications. Good news, Apparently there are two old servers sitting on a shelf. Apparently, I can use these or at least one of them hopefully! I am going to be sent the specs and I have to work out the power usage and then the total bill. I will then have to pass it with the head of the sustainability commity which I already kind of have, he is happy with it as it is a charity. Then I have to pass it with the Bursar to be able to fund the extra power which hopefully shouldn't be too much. Then I am away and can hopefully install it!