new

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ana
Hardware configuration: Laptop.
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Model: Personal
Computer
Rating: 3.3
Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 925 @ 2.30GHz 2.29 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: not available
Computer name: C660-13R-TOSH

Re: new

Post by ana »

Thanks again. Please say if I should create a new topic for these new questions ...
I have looked in the 'search' button for "Spanish" and I see some posts in Spanish, but I don't find that there is a separate forum for Spanish? or .. what is the protocol for Spanish speakers? I'm asking becuase now that the thing is running on my computer I'd like to spread the (Spanish) word ... Or are there any Spanish-speaking university running a similar thing?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Some detailed answers probably would come from a new topic with an appropriate Subject line. But some quick answers I can give here.

This forum is mainly in English as it is a common language available worldwide. Contributors to F@h have come from many different countries. Some from non-English speaking countries have banded together and created their own sites in connection doing F@h, but I don't happen to have any list to check.

Some folding teams were created by members who had a common country, some may be in Spanish speaking countries. One place that has a relatively easy way to browse through a list of the top 12,000 teams and may give you some leads is the Extreme OverClocking third party stats site. There is a link to them in the forum header as Extreme OC. You might find some names that would indicate being from a Spanish speaking country. If they have their own website, the team search here will have a link if they added it.

Universities in Spanish speaking countries? I don't know of any directly involved with F@h, but some researchers may exchange information with F@h researchers, or have heir own research in this area.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ana
Hardware configuration: Laptop.
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Model: Personal
Computer
Rating: 3.3
Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 925 @ 2.30GHz 2.29 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: not available
Computer name: C660-13R-TOSH

Post by ana »

schertt wrote:You're not folding with a GPU ergo no GPU detected. CUDA is an NVidia API, AMD cards don't use this. It can be ignored.
Should I / we be "folding with a GPU"?
Yujah

Post by Yujah »

Yes. Judging by awarded credits, GPUs capable of double precision OpenCL seem to be about 10 to 40 times as efficient at folding as the CPU is.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

ana wrote:
schertt wrote:You're not folding with a GPU ergo no GPU detected. CUDA is an NVidia API, AMD cards don't use this. It can be ignored.
Should I / we be "folding with a GPU"?
GPUs are generally more productive than CPUs, but all donations are welcome. Fold with what you have, when the bug bites buy more! Warning: it can be an expensive addiction :!: No-one expects anyone to buy what they cannot afford just to donate compute time to F@H, though many folders do buy kit just for folding.